Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Man City v Liverpool

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
A lot of debate on this thread regarding the correct use of grammar, but back on topic...

And the related story.

Always going to take a risk going incognito amongst opposition fans, especially on such a tense fixture as this.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
UNDERDOG? In a Champions League quarter final? It's like cheering a victory for Arsenal over Man U. Yes, well done plucky Roma, we shall certainly never mention their history of bribing European Cup referees again.

1st in La Liga vs 4th in Serie A

€648.3m in revenue vs €171.8m revenue

€372m wage bill for Barca vs €91m wage bill for Roma

Favourable treatment from UEFA refs vs no favourable treatment from UEFA refs

So yes, UNDERDOGS.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
1st in La Liga vs 4th in Serie A

€648.3m in revenue vs €171.8m revenue

€372m wage bill for Barca vs €91m wage bill for Roma

Favourable treatment from UEFA refs vs no favourable treatment from UEFA refs

So yes, UNDERDOGS.

Not exactly a team of postmen playing Man U in the 3rd round of the cup though is it. Poor old Roma - "only" 171.8 million in revenue and 91 million in wages. My heart bleeds. No doubt at all that Barca were favourites but the "supporting the underdog" mentality stretches a bit far when you're just siding with a slightly less wealthy side who are "only" 4th in one of the biggest leagues in the world. The final bullet is factually incorrect though. Roma got favourable treatment from UEFA referees in at least one massive European Cup game by bribing them as they have admitted since. Try Googling that.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Not exactly a team of postmen playing Man U in the 3rd round of the cup though is it. Poor old Roma - "only" 171.8 million in revenue and 91 million in wages. My heart bleeds. No doubt at all that Barca were favourites but the "supporting the underdog" mentality stretches a bit far when you're just siding with a slightly less wealthy side who are "only" 4th in one of the biggest leagues in the world. The final bullet is factually incorrect though. Roma got favourable treatment from UEFA referees in at least one massive European Cup game by bribing them as they have admitted since. Try Googling that.

I can see with my eyes every season the favourable treatment Barca get.

Barca have won the CL many times over the years, but Roma have never won it. If Roma were to win the CL this season (unlikely), it would be comparable to Porto winning in 2004, the last time a true underdog won the CL.

Barca are 3.8 times as wealthy and spend 4.1 times as much on wages. So Roma are a bit more than 'slightly less wealthy'.

Everyone can see Roma were the underdogs. You obviously have a soft spot for Barca, and for some reason this is making you not want to admit this :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Barca have won the CL many times over the years, but Roma have never won it. If Roma were to win the CL this season (unlikely), it would be comparable to Porto winning in 2004, the last time a true underdog won the CL.

Barca are 3.8 times as wealthy and spend 4.1 times as much on wages. So Roma are a bit more than 'slightly less wealthy'.

Everyone can see Roma were the underdogs. You obviously have a soft spot for Barca, and for some reason this is making you not want to admit this :shrug:

Liverpool were big underdogs in 2005. The Juve, Chelsea and AC Milan teams they overcame, contained 11 world class players at the top of their game, plus great subs. Check out the lineups. A who’s who of the greatest players. Liverpool had some quality players, but also Traore, Smicer, Riise, Baros, Garcia .... who would’ve got no where near the AC or Chelsea squads.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

So just your opinion then. Not documented fact.

fair enough comment

When you get in to a Champions League Quarter Final and turn over what they do you have plenty of resources at your disposal. The amount actual wealth means in a one-off game is insignificant. If they were in the same league it would matter more. If Barca had drawn Real you wouldn't have used league position or turnover to grade who was the favourite - merely form. Roma have been excellent in the CL. Barca have stuttered. Nevertheless.....

I quite clearly told you in the last post that Barca were favourites and, when we discussed it previously, that I'd been over to see them play this season :shrug:

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Liverpool were big underdogs in 2005. The Juve, Chelsea and AC Milan teams they overcame, contained 11 world class players at the top of their game, plus great subs. Check out the lineups. A who’s who of the greatest players. Liverpool had some quality players, but also Traore, Smicer, Riise, Baros, Garcia .... who would’ve got no where near the AC or Chelsea squads.

I remember the Liverpool team, and I remember they didn't qualify for the CL that season, but UEFA let them in any way the following season because they won it. But, I also remember Liverpool having a lot of spending power (but Benitez didn't make particularly good use of it). Liverpool also had some pretty decent players of their own - Xabi Alonso, Steven Gerrard, Dietmar Hamann, Jamie Carragher, Sami Hyypia.

Based on income, size of club, spending power and squad, I think Roma is more comparable to Porto, but it's true that Liverpool were underdogs in 2005.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Yes their actions lead to a 5 year ban for all English clubs in Europe. The game in this country paid a heavy price

They're scum and they've always been scum. Few people on here having a love-in with them is embarassing.

Fed up with everyone feeling like they have to tiptoe around them because of hillsborough as if being insensitive. 'Never forget' they keep saying, yea I don't forget either.

Take the stigma of them up the road and multiply it by 50 and you have livepool fans. That is to say, the ones that aren't from malaysia and milton keynes.

Now football fans accross the board are being condemned because of them, again.

It makes me sick to my stomach having to wish they progress further in this circus act of a competition on the remote off-chance it may affect our game in May.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I remember the Liverpool team, and I remember they didn't qualify for the CL that season, but UEFA let them in any way the following season because they won it. But, I also remember Liverpool having a lot of spending power (but Benitez didn't make particularly good use of it). Liverpool also had some pretty decent players of their own - Xabi Alonso, Steven Gerrard, Dietmar Hamann, Jamie Carragher, Sami Hyypia.

Based on income, size of club, spending power and squad, I think Roma is more comparable to Porto, but it's true that Liverpool were underdogs in 2005.

Googling, I found the odds for the 2003/04 CL before a ball was kicked. Porto were 50/1! (Their later finalists Monaco were 66/1).

Unfortunately, can’t find the same for 2004/05.

But there’s data on the odds before each game along the way, with Juve, Chelsea and Milan big favourites over Liverpool.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
0-3 a miracle in Madrid on the cards

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
And there you go, 3-3.
Proof if ever it was needed that so called pundits are all useless, so smug at the start especially Rio Ferdinand gave Juve no chance, even after last night.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Real Madrid look to be missing Ramos (suspended) and Benzema (on the bench). Surprised Bale started (subbed at half time).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here