Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man City really do sod all for British football

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
That doesn't make sense. Nationality means nothing in the top flight. Why buy English? Who has been a value signing?

As you can tell by this thread, nationality does mean something to some people. Those fans that would rather have a worse club side full of Englishmen, rather than a better club side full of foreigners. It looks 'better' to a lot of fans to buy English talent, and thus if clubs are going to sell their English players, they will sell them at a premium.

I personally couldn't care if my team was full of foreigners (as long as it was cheaper). It's not the foreigners that make the English national side worse, it all starts from the failings at grassroots.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
[MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION] Let's be clear. You work for a foreign company, which generally means you work abroad (something you have owned up to). Your company relies on people from different nations. How did you become such a bigot?

I have indeed worked for a number of foreign companies, but also previously for three British companies. There is no doubt whatsoever that I had a lot more job satisfaction, and a sense of real pride, working for the British companies. The jobs for foreign companies were just, well, jobs. No comparison. I have also worked abroad on numerous occasions.

I am not really sure however what relevance this has to the lack of British players in Man City's team, but I believe, maybe naively, that British players feel much more pride and commitment playing for British teams than some of the foreign mercenaries we have playing in this country right now.

Am I a bigot? No, I don't consider myself such. I have worked over many years with people from many nationalities both in the UK and overseas and have respected the great majority of them as intelligent and hard working individuals. That doesn't mean I want them coming to live permanently in my country in their thousands, any more than most of them would welcome thousands of Brits colonising their countries (in some cases, again!). A certain level of immigration/emigration is fine, but the situation in this country now has got way out of hand.

The one thing the Gulf nations have got right is welcoming foreign workers, providing they have work permits, and on the clear understanding that when their jobs are finished they go home.

Anyway, back to Man City ..... there is probably no team in English football I despise more ... well maybe Chelsea ... oh, and of course Arsenal ... and ...

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Bottom line is Man City & Chelsea buy players based on the best available individual to fill the position they need.

They wanted a new centre mid and a striker this summer so bought Fabregas who was surplus to Barcelona requirements and the leading goalscorer in Spain. Both for around £30m. I don't think there have been any better players move for this value or less. They didn't seek the best foreigners or best Spainards but the best players.

We have done the same, the best players available within our price range and the aim of improving our squad

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I thought it was well known why English players cost more? It's because there are a lot of clubs like us who do not have to sell players to survive. That leads to us getting 8-10 million for Leo who could not get into a Spanish teams Second Division first eleven when we bought him 18 months ago. Then he goes and scores in the mighty EPL.

I am all for foreign players coming to England if they are good enough. Playing against and with good players improves the English footballers. In effect English players are playing in a World League with a lot of the best players around.

England has always had foreign players that were not available to the England manager. It used to be Scots, Irish and Welsh players in the old days, now it is mostly Europeans. Nothing new.

Two of the most expensive players in the world have grown up in our system. Unfortunately neither of them were English. I would say it's not the system!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The OP is right - Man City do nothing for British football but they do a lot for Manchester and the Prem.

They used to have the best youth production line in the late 80s, now no young English player in their right mind would play there. Sturridge's career stalled there, ditto Rodwell, Adam Johnson, Micah Richards. Sad to see from an a England perspective.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here