Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Malta

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Anyone been? My girlfriend is coming down in August and we're looking to go somewhere hot with nice beaches and probably all inclusive.

Looked through various deals online including teletext and I've found a deal for £400 at a 5 star resort all inclusive. My worry is Malta might be too boring? We're both in our 20's so we want somewhere with a few bars and clubs but not full of Brit chavs.

It's obviously a small island so taxi's to Valletta would be cheap which is why I am interested.

Thanks

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I went, albeit it 10 years ago when I was 17. I stayed I a place called bugibba which was pretty family orientated. I did however go to a place called st Julians bay which was fairly lively. Lovely country for scuba diving!

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Where is it.

At night Sliema or Paceville is the best place - nothing to do in Valletta at night so save your taxis fares

Best Beaches are in the North where there is more sand. Beaches around Sliema & St Julians are rocky.

Only place which might be a bit Chavvy is Buggiba / St Pauls but its not that bad.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
My parents love Malta, for its scenery, atmosphere, pace of life and the friendliness of the locals...I can't imagine them liking somewhere that was in any way chavvy...however, they are in their late 60's and early 70's...which possibly sums up the appeal of the place.

If you want somewhere really lively then it is probably better to head further east across the Med and go to one of the Greek islands or even Cyprus...the Greek economy is far worse than ours and you would probably get a really good deal, they will certainly be pleased to see you!

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Thanks guys,

The hotel is in Sliema, not all inclusive but £440 for a week each and it's 5 star. I could probably get that cheaper though if I shop around but it's a rough idea.

I've been to a few Greek Islands myself but on "lads holidays" so my view of them is a bit tainted. If anyone can recommend one which isn't an eyesore full of Brits, relatively cheap but close to some bars, let me know :thumbsup:

I can't really book it last minute either as my girlfriend needs to get a visa and she doesn't want to risk it being rejected or encountering a problem.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Sliema is a great base for Malta. You won't see any Chavs and its a good place to take a girlfriend.

If you just want sunbathing and nightlife its great but there are other places. But if you like sightseeing and History as well you can't beat Malta for that.

Valletta is an gem of history and a cheap bus ride from Sliema. I would hire a car WHEN YOU GET THERE and pick a good one. Go to Gozo for a day and do a Blue Lagoon trip on another day. Do loads of beaches in the North visit the Blue Grotto and do some of the other trips you get from the hotels.

Then there is the Silent City and the catacombs, Mosta Church, a harbour cruise and a few temples to see too.

Eating out and drinks is fairly cheap and for Nightlife go to Paceville. Try and get to a festa the fireworks are brilliant

On the downside - its not the prettiest island in the med especially in August as its not very Green in summer and in some urban areas it can feel overbuilt.

But you can drink the water and its pretty safe from crime and hassle.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Sliema is a great base for Malta. You won't see any Chavs and its a good place to take a girlfriend.

If you just want sunbathing and nightlife its great but there are other places. But if you like sightseeing and History as well you can't beat Malta for that.

Valletta is an gem of history and a cheap bus ride from Sliema. I would hire a car WHEN YOU GET THERE and pick a good one. Go to Gozo for a day and do a Blue Lagoon trip on another day. Do loads of beaches in the North visit the Blue Grotto and do some of the other trips you get from the hotels.

Then there is the Silent City and the catacombs, Mosta Church, a harbour cruise and a few temples to see too.

Eating out and drinks is fairly cheap and for Nightlife go to Paceville. Try and get to a festa the fireworks are brilliant

On the downside - its not the prettiest island in the med especially in August as its not very Green in summer and in some urban areas it can feel overbuilt.

But you can drink the water and its pretty safe from crime and hassle.

That's why I post on this messageboard :thumbsup:

Thanks very much for the info mate. It sounds pretty decent all in all. I like that if we're bored of Sliema, we're only a short journey away from another town.

Are there any websites, travel agents or hotels you recommend? Some of them say they're 4 star but like anywhere in Europe, it's not the case.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Been twice, stayed in the qwara palace hotel....4* all inclusive both times and it was great. Didn't like the island in general, it was a complete dump and filthy dirty but the way of life, friendliness of the locals and climate was superb. If you're after beaches, you won't get any....mainly rocks although there is a few man made ones around. Oh...and it's only 2 1/2 hours flight.

However, just got back from Corfu where we stayed in th 4* Iberostar golf hotel...all inclusive again and i fell in love with the island....it was green, hilly and the capital Corfu town was a joy. The hotel was real nice too.

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
I don't see the point in all-inclusive resorts. Why bother? If you're going on holiday you want to go out, see the local culture, try the local food instead of consuming the same regurgitated food every day.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
everyone seems to be raving about the place so i thought id add in my views. been twice and hate it. i know there are a few others on here who feel the same (easy10?) the main resorts are a concrete shithole (like croydon). the locals are miserable , valetta is nothing special , the beaches are rocky and the place is dirty. maybe ive been spoiled on my holidays but for a cheap holiday id rather stay in england. in its defence its fairly cheap and the north of the island is much nicer. it has sandy beaches is quieter , less developed and seems to have a bit more class to it.

id never go back

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Spent some time there in the navy but years ago. My abiding memory is a promise to myself, never to touch a drink called Marsovin (sp) ever again.
Does have interesting history there though being a crossroads in the med.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Thanks guys,

The hotel is in Sliema, not all inclusive but £440 for a week each and it's 5 star. I could probably get that cheaper though if I shop around but it's a rough idea.

I've been to a few Greek Islands myself but on "lads holidays" so my view of them is a bit tainted. If anyone can recommend one which isn't an eyesore full of Brits, relatively cheap but close to some bars, let me know :thumbsup:

I can't really book it last minute either as my girlfriend needs to get a visa and she doesn't want to risk it being rejected or encountering a problem.

sliema is good as a base....... st juliens is walkable or get the bus

best beaches are golden bay (sandy) gnedja (rocky but scenic) and mellieha in the north - go by bus (cheap and easy) or hire a car at the airport for £100 max for seven days. go on a boat trip to blue lagoon beach on comino (crowded but not a bad day out and inexpensive. try the big red bus tour (south more interesting than north). take the water taxi from sliema seafront to valetta. go to mdina and have cakes and a beer in the cafe on the battlements - if you go on the horse and cart ride (expensive and brief) pay less by picking one up inside the walls and not outside the gates.

lots of churches to see eerywhere. food ok but nothing special. people are great

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Me & the missus are going to Malta in September can't freakin wait. Went a couple of times as a kid, In fact it was in Malta watching Italia 90 that started my footy obsession

H2O

Jul 27, 2004
Hove
just been in May stayed in Bigubba this is very touristy. we watched the cup final in sliema/st julians and loved it so if your looking to stay there do it!

try and avoid the all inclusive if you can I only say this as there are so many little places to get out and eat you would be silly to confine yourself to one place. I recommend the Maltese pizzas and any pasta dish with Maltese sausage in!! The Maltese wine is also excellent. Previous post said hire a car which is a good idea but the buses out there are amazing you have to go on them just for the experience!!

swazinio

swazinio
Nov 1, 2009
partridge green
Stayed in melliha.Decent apartment and plenty of bars and restaurants. The beach at
Melliha is possibly the best beach in Malta.
Was there at the same time an England game was on and all the locals were behind
England!

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
it is awful. concrete, no beaches and miserable people.

if you are 50+ you may, just may like it, but if as i suspect you are not steer clear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here