Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Malt vinegar on brussel sprouts

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wife is breaking with tradition this year and doing them fried with crispy bacon pieces as per James Martin, simply because the majority of my family dont like them, so she is trying to convince the others. Mind she only has 1 to stop me moaning.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Another old git here voting for vinegar on sprouts and cabbage. Haute cuisine at its hautist.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
I think they considered it unnecessary time wasting crossing each one. It must be remembered they are doing it commercially not for a family of 4.

It a ceremonial traditional process that's absolutely obligatory (deep dark bad luck if you don't do it) but totally unnecessary

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Sorry I'm a little confused here, you people eat the sprouts? Do you not realise they're meant as winter fodder for animals and aren't for human consumption.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It a ceremonial traditional process that's absolutely obligatory (deep dark bad luck if you don't do it) but totally unnecessary

It allegedly allows the stem to cook quicker, no religious connotations at all otherwise the israeli's would be cutting the Star of David in to the bottom of theirs.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
In which case a simple cut across the bottom should suffice.

What instructions, re: Sprouts, did you give to the minions in the kitchen at your mid Sussex gastropub in order to facilitate a free flow of perfectly cooked Sprouts from the kitchen ?

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
I like sprouts any which way, apart from boiling to gray mush. However roasting them is a bit of a revelation: just halve em, toss in olive oil, salt and pepper and roast them til they caramelise. Top with a bit of cheese or bacon if you like, or just more salt.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
I like sprouts any which way, apart from boiling to gray mush. However roasting them is a bit of a revelation: just halve em, toss in olive oil, salt and pepper and roast them til they caramelise. Top with a bit of cheese or bacon if you like, or just more salt.
That sounds bloomin' yummy...then malt vinegar just to give it extra ooommmpppph

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What instructions, re: Sprouts, did you give to the minions in the kitchen at your mid Sussex gastropub in order to facilitate a free flow of perfectly cooked Sprouts from the kitchen ?

Only ever served them on Christmas menu as they are not generally a popular veg. It was then left to
'The boss' who is a brilliant self taught old fashioned cook so we had no problems.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I ****ing despise Sprouts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here