Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Malaysian airline crash

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Yes I got that totally wrong, just been looking it up, how about the rest of what I said in the post. I am not sure how good the break up of Yugoslavia is as an example of the best way to do anything.

I'm not claiming it is the best way of doing anything - All I'm trying to point out is that it is simplistic to compare Russian actions in Crimea with those in parts of the 'Old World'.

The whole area surrounding the Balkans has seen so much change in terms of governance over the last two hundred years that it is very difficult to say who has 'right' on their side. Maybe the will of the population should overide claims made by politicians ???

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Putin is saying this would not have happened if there was peace on 'our land'. Why did he do next to nothing to ensure there was peace?

He urged for a ceasefire with all other leaders, except Ukraine and the U.S. (June 30)

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
I'm not claiming it is the best way of doing anything - All I'm trying to point out is that it is simplistic to compare Russian actions in Crimea with those in parts of the 'Old World'.

The whole area surrounding the Balkans has seen so much change in terms of governance over the last two hundred years that it is very difficult to say who has 'right' on their side. Maybe the will of the population should overide claims made by politicians ???

The will of the people is very important but so is the rule of law, Crimea is part of Ukraine

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
The will of the people is very important but so is the rule of law, Crimea is part of Ukraine

And precedence has been set under the 'rule of law' giving Crimea the right to choose - a precedent that is being ignored by the West.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/07/22/us-serbia-kosovo-idUSTRE66L01720100722

"The court considers that general international law contains no applicable prohibition of declaration of independence . . . . Accordingly it concludes that the declaration of independence of the 17th of February 2008 did not violate general international law."

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
In many ways it is ironic that he main reason that Kosovo hasn't been recognised as an independent state by the UN is because Russia would veto any attempt for them to do so.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
And precedence has been set under the 'rule of law' giving Crimea the right to choose - a precedent that is being ignored by the West.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/07/22/us-serbia-kosovo-idUSTRE66L01720100722

"The court considers that general international law contains no applicable prohibition of declaration of independence . . . . Accordingly it concludes that the declaration of independence of the 17th of February 2008 did not violate general international law."

But that ruling does not have any sway over events in Crimea above being a guide. Where does it say a precedent has been set for future disputes?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
But that ruling does not have any sway over events in Crimea above being a guide. Where does it say a precedent has been set for future disputes?

precedent
noun
noun: precedent; plural noun: precedents
ˈprɛsɪd(ə)nt/

an earlier event or action that is regarded as an example or guide to be considered in subsequent similar circumstances.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I was waiting for you to join in , you're picture looks exactly like the prime minister of Ukraine , sorry I think you are biased :)

I'm not stating that as a fact, I don't trust Putin at all. It's very easy to suggest one thing and do another, particularly such a corrupt country.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
I'm not stating that as a fact, I don't trust Putin at all. It's very easy to suggest one thing and do another, particularly such a corrupt country.

I don't trust him either for the records but I don't trust Obama more , I am just trying to put across a level opinion . I have been to Ukraine 10 times now and know what the people think .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here