Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Make Sure Your Union Flag is Correctly Displayed!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's strange how the poles always seem to be on the left?!
But unless it's double-layered, if you look at it from the other side, it's going to be the 'wrong' way around, no?

Why don't they just put the red lines in the middle, so they're all the same?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Unfortunately that flag screams racism for many.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I believe it's all to do with the pole. With the pole on the left, fly the flag to the right. When you look at it from the other side, it would be wrong, but the pole would be on the right, so that would be right!
The flags aren't double-sided.
See this image below of looking at them on both sides of the Mall, all hung correctly of course.

Attachments

• Flags 4.jpg
    Flags 4.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 90

The aloof gatekeeper

Oct 11, 2011
A lot of people thought it very amusing that they put the flag on upside-down when they unveiled the design on the Prime Ministerial plane.

But it was pointed out that when a flag is displayed on a plane the 'flagpole' is at the cockpit end:

RAF_Voyager_PA_161121.jpg

Hence this:

Air-Force-One-Phoenix-1.jpg

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Unfortunately that flag screams racism for many.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

It does sadly. Hijacked, the George Cross is even worse.

I have a really nice proper large linen UJ, was my grandmothers, probably last properly used at the end of the war and/or 1953. I'ts been repaired by hand a few times, but still really good.

I won't be waving it in a hurry.

4F09824C-77AB-4431-B5D7-FC313BE03FCA.jpeg

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
But unless it's double-layered, if you look at it from the other side, it's going to be the 'wrong' way around, no?

Why don't they just put the red lines in the middle, so they're all the same?

I believe it's all to do with the pole. With the pole on the left, fly the flag to the right. When you look at it from the other side, it would be wrong, but the pole would be on the right, so that would be right!
The flags aren't double-sided.
See this image below of looking at them on both sides of the Mall, all hung correctly of course.

The thick white line is always at the top by the pole-it maters not whether its flying to the left or the right of the pole that wont change just because the wind does!

A flag flown upside down is an international sign of distress,

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
The thick white line is always at the top by the pole-it maters not whether its flying to the left or the right of the pole that wont change just because the wind does!

A flag flown upside down is an international sign of distress,

That's exactly what I was taught when in the Cubs, hundreds of years' ago!

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Why are the white lines different thicknesses? What's the point/meaning of that?

Originally it was so other ships can recognise when it’s being flown upside down, the signal for distress. A lot of maritime nations’ flags are designed similarly.

That’s what I’ve always been taught anyway.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Originally it was so other ships can recognise when it’s being flown upside down, the signal for distress. A lot of maritime nations’ flags are designed similarly.

That’s what I’ve always been taught anyway.

Couldn't they have just written 'help' upside down? Much easier to work out that way.

Japan will need to rethink their flag...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here