Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MAJOR Playstation 3 Error

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
I know this will get a lot of 'xbox is better posts' but there is currently a problem with all 'old' or 'fat' versions of the ps3 causing an error message to occur when you try to connect to the PSN (playstation network), look at trophies or play a game (even offline!) which has trophy support.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2010/mar/01/games-sony

I tried logging on last night to play some online fifa, and i got the error message. Assuming the network was down i tried loading the game to play offline, and i got message informing me that the game needs trophy support and as that wasnt available the game shut down. effectively making my PS3 pointless! :angry:

it appears that PS3 slims aren't effected, but it looks like EVERY (unless someone on here isn't suffering) old style PS3 has bust.

the date also appears to have changed to 31/12/99 and the time on my console reverts back to 23.48 everytime i log on. strangely i can still access the net via the console.

Sony are meant to be working to fix the error, but it looks like no one is really sure whats caused it, as it has even effected 'offline' consoles, suggesting it is something to do with the firmware/hardware itself.

Bugger :down:

anyone else suffering?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it suggests they updated something remotly. this is exactly why such abilities are not too clever, and they could happen to any of the devices that support remote updates (xbox, iphone etc)

Rumour has it that it is leap year related.

ouch... timing does suggest that. so now you'll be quite gald of remote updates :blush:

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I've not had a problem like that with online play, but everytime now that I turn the system on I get a 'you didn't turn the system off correctly last time you did so' message. It's pretty confusing as I always turn it off correctly!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
:facepalm: Not going to say it wouldn't happen to Xbox 360s, but at least the myth that PS3's are FAR more reliable is finally being put to bed.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
:facepalm: Not going to say it wouldn't happen to Xbox 360s, but at least the myth that PS3's are FAR more reliable is finally being put to bed.

Indeed.

I'm not too annoyed though as that's it not a hardware fault and is (hopefully!!) only a temporary online software issue.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
1 problem in 3+ years, and is fixed online within 24 hours of the fault appearing.
Not quite yet in comparison to the fail-box in terms of reliability.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
but at least the myth that PS3's are FAR more reliable is finally being put to bed.

on the contrary, when the PS3 fails it does so very reliably :p

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Really?

The Xbox 360 has an absolutely dreadful record of hardware failure.

The PS3 has what seems to be like a minor software bug that is likely to be quickly and easily remedied.

(I own neither machine)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
1 problem in 3+ years, and is fixed online within 24 hours of the fault appearing.
Not quite yet in comparison to the fail-box in terms of reliability.

No problems in 3 years. All friends who have had issues have had repairs and replacements free of charge, sometimes receiving brand new consoles in return for old, used ones, plus free usage of LIVE. Excellent customer service.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Really?

The Xbox 360 has an absolutely dreadful record of hardware failure.

The PS3 has what seems to be like a minor software bug that is likely to be quickly and easily remedied.

(I own neither machine)

The Xbox has a BAD record for failure. But I have heard MANY stories (quite a few on here actually) of PS3's going wrong, and also their customer service/company policy in dealing with said problems is far worse.

My point is most act as if problems are 100% Xbox 0% PS3, when it truth is roughly 65% Xbox to 35% PS3. Definitely worth the higher failure rate, when the PS3 is an utter failure at being a console.

*RUNS OUT OF THREAD IMMEDIATELY*

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm actually well jealous of Heavy Rain. Anyone got it? Is it any good?

Boris Yeltsin

MR PRESIDENT to you, mate
Feb 13, 2008
Moscow
I have an X-Box and a PS3, neither has given me any problems yet.

I also have Heavy Rain and it's brilliant, but there have been issues with it sticking and stopping. There's a long thread about it on the Playstation forum. However, it affected me temporarily. Turns out it's to do with a previously saved game, or some nonsense. Now it's fine. Awesome, just awesome.

Boris Yeltsin

MR PRESIDENT to you, mate
Feb 13, 2008
Moscow
I also have a Wii. I'm covered on all sides :)

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Why do people CARE.

I own an xbox and I love it.

I'm sure ps3 owners feel the same.

Why does it matter Which is 'better'. It's all opinions anyway. It does not effect my enjoyment of the xbox if the ps3 has a glitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here