[News] Major incident in Newhaven

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
If the people in the freezer were in there nicking chips and were white British, from Scunthorpe, assumed gammon/brexit voters, I bet all the "empaths" on this thread would have no problem making a joke about it! Darwen awards would me mentioned within minutes.
I've met a weirdly large number of people from Darwen. All lovely people.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If the people in the freezer were in there nicking chips and were white British, from Scunthorpe, assumed gammon/brexit voters, I bet all the "empaths" on this thread would have no problem making a joke about it! Darwen awards would me mentioned within minutes.
Darwen awards you say?

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Some people, they are blind or ignorant as to the law, including our current Government - any refugees that arrive in the UK seeking asylum are ‘illegal’ apparently - it seems to suit the narrative that asylum seekers are unwelcome and it is ‘right’ and ‘justified’ to enforce harsh detention conditions and threats of expulsion.🙁
The ignorance you refer to is a 2 way street. I would suspect the vast majority of people understand legal conventions and the UK’s responsibilities, however when the reality (or perception) indicates that those obligations are working against the interests of native British people then there will be a natural counter reaction to that. This unhelpful dynamic creates the kind of environment where events like Brexit can happen.

It s not an unreasonable presumption for British people to expect “priority” status in their own country, including being first in line for housing etc. For many people they suspect that presumption no longer applies, and that in fact many people in charge (and on this board) are glad of it, which is bad news politically as we can see with the rise of right wing governments in the sainted EU at the moment. You reap what you sow.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Have you not considered that stealing frozen chips and escaping a war zone only to nearly be killed by the gang you paid thousands to are slightly different use cases?

Frankly, if a gang of black liberals from Lewes got locked in a freezer during the theft of frozen goodies I’d find it pretty f***ing funny. Also impossible to believe.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Exactly.

White people in England: why won’t these people just INTEGRATE?

Also white peopke in England: why are they converting to our religion?

It’s almost like there’s something else they object to.
Blimey, you must think when football players kiss the badge on the shirt that they really love their clubs?

I thought it was only kids that thought that………….sheesh. Kinda explains how we have our new citizens chucking acid and planting bombs around the place doesn’t it?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Blimey, you must think when football players kiss the badge on the shirt that they really love their clubs?

I thought it was only kids that thought that………….sheesh. Kinda explains how we have our new citizens chucking acid and planting bombs around the place doesn’t it?
They ALL do that do they? Like all white teenagers in shitty northern towns slice up trans people in broad daylight? :facepalm:

Of course there are false conversions. It’s even been on the liberal left wing BBC.

The point is that when you create a set of rules where “they” cannot win, you have to assume it’s the people you object to and not the situation.

At least you’re not posting it from an ivory tower in Portugal though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Some people, they are blind or ignorant as to the law, including our current Government - any refugees that arrive in the UK seeking asylum are ‘illegal’ apparently - it seems to suit the narrative that asylum seekers are unwelcome and it is ‘right’ and ‘justified’ to enforce harsh detention conditions and threats of expulsion.🙁
Yes. They have redefined asylum seeking as an illegal activity. Unless you seek asylum from your original domicile, writing to the home office including a self-addressed envelope with a valid stamp. That's legal.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It seems that the anger from the absolute failure of Vote Leave 'Taking Back Control' and the Rwanda plan is causing the racists, xenophobes and Islamophobic to publish their actual views on this thread. Who would have guessed :lolol:

You have already shot yourself in both feet, where are you aiming for next :facepalm:
As always, I salute your indefatigability.

1708161919840.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oh. I’m sorry. You seemed perfectly happy to provide character assessments about others; I should have realised it wouldn’t be welcome coming in the other direction.

And besides, if you truly believe the term ‘spectacularly patronising’ constitutes a personal attack, then I hope for your sake you never antagonise @Simster; he’d drive you into the ground like a rusty tent peg.
There are plenty of annoying people on NSC. @Zeberdi is a very long way from being one of them. :shrug:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It seems that the anger from the absolute failure of Vote Leave 'Taking Back Control' and the Rwanda plan is causing the racists, xenophobes and Islamophobic to publish their actual views on this thread. Who would have guessed :lolol:

The ignorance you refer to is a 2 way street. I would suspect the vast majority of people understand legal conventions and the UK’s responsibilities, however when the reality (or perception) indicates that those obligations are working against the interests of native British people then there will be a natural counter reaction to that. This unhelpful dynamic creates the kind of environment where events like Brexit can happen.

It s not an unreasonable presumption for British people to expect “priority” status in their own country, including being first in line for housing etc. For many people they suspect that presumption no longer applies, and that in fact many people in charge (and on this board) are glad of it, which is bad news politically as we can see with the rise of right wing governments in the sainted EU at the moment. You reap what you sow.

BINGO :lolol:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
It s not an unreasonable presumption for British people to expect “priority” status in their own country, including being first in line for housing etc. For many people they suspect that presumption no longer applies …

Apologies for the long post but given the response to my first post, I feel the need to elaborate my position somewhat. I agree with your post wholeheartedly - it isn’t ’unreasonable’ and this is the starting point for me - recognising that we can not ignore those concerns or dismiss them purely as xenophobic or racist - I live in quite a socially deprived area, where there is little in the way of rented accommodation, long waiting lists for non-urgent primary care and secondary services - it is no coincidence that anti-immigrant sentiments are high amongst the community here. It would be utterly impossible for me to have any meaningful dialogue if my starting point was to accuse everybody who complains to me about the doctors surgery being ‘full of immigrants’ or they can’t get a dentist ‘because of immigrants’, of being racist or xenophobic even if it were obvious that is where some people are at.

That’s where evidence based discussion can maybe help to de escalate emotions (I think both @Thunder Bolt and @WATFORD zero and others have made an excellent contribution to NSC discussions in helping to moderate the rhetoric with fact-based and informative posts).

For my part, having worked in the healthcare industry for many years and now reliant on a high maintenance level of care, I would say that immigration props up our Health Service more than harms it
https://www.nhsconfed.org/articles/immigration-harming-nhs :

The same for agriculture - the area I live in is also an agricultural area and farmers here are dependent on migrant labour to put our food on the table.

The pressure on housing is more complex - it is a common trope that if it were not for immigration we would not have a shortage of housing; the longterm trends in single occupancy; increase in house ownership/second homes; tougher environmental/development laws over the past 75 years; natural population growth in the non-immigrant population due to increased lifespans and better infant survival are also contributory to the shortage of housing as is a lack of investment in social housing stock. It is also the case that new immigrants, unless they are well off, live in denser households and therefore take up less space. That said, high levels of immigration do impact the availability of housing but not in terms of queue jumping or necessarily in the public sector - 80% of new immigrants live in private sector housing and there is no evidence to support the assertion that migrants get priority on social housing lists (in fact having a local connection is a criteria most new migrants don’t meet). After decades, the level of home ownership among migrants is similar to the indigenous population:

An old article but addresses some of the misconceptions

As for those arriving in the back of lorries or on boats - We have a shared obligation under International law to take in Asylum seekers and process their claim for refugee status. More importantly for debate, asylum seekers and refugees are not considered as ‘migrants’ and form a very small minority of the total number of foreign arrivals applying for permanent residency in the UK.

A really interesting document on how migration is measured and who is defined as ‘migrant’

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree and this is the starting point for me - recognising that we can not ignore those concerns or dismiss them purely as xenophobic or racist - I live in quite a socially deprived area, where there is little in the way of rented accommodation, long waiting lists for non-urgent primary care and secondary services - it is no coincidence that anti-immigrant sentiments are high amongst the community here. It would be utterly impossible for me to have any meaningful dialogue if I my starting point was to accuse everybody who complains to me about the doctors surgery being ‘full of immigrants’ or they can’t get a dentist ‘because of immigrants’, of being racist or xenophobic even if it were obvious that is where some people are at.

That’s where evidence based discussion can maybe help to de escalate emotions (I think both @Thunder Bolt and @WATFORD zero and others have made an excellent contribution to NSC discussions in helping to moderate the rhetoric with fact-based and informative posts).

For my part, having worked in the healthcare industry for many years and now reliant on a high maintenance level of care, I would say that immigration props up our Health Service more than harms it

The same for agriculture - the area I live in is also an agricultural area and farmers here are dependent on migrant labour to put our food on the table.

The pressure on housing is more complex - it is a common trope that if it were not for immigration we would not have a shortage of housing; the longterm trends in single occupancy; increase in house ownership/second homes; tougher environmental/development laws over the past 75 years; natural population growth in the non-immigrant population due to increased lifespans and better infant survival are also contributory to the shortage of housing as is a lack of investment in social housing stock. It is also the case that new immigrants, unless they are well off, live in denser households and therefore take up more space. That said, high levels of immigration do impact the availability of housing but not in terms of queue jumping or necessarily in the public sector - 80% of new immigrants live in private sector housing and there is no evidence to support the assertion that migrants get priority on social housing lists (in fact having a local connection is a criteria most new migrants don’t meet). After decades, the level of home ownership among migrants is similar to the indigenous population:

As for those arriving in the back of lorries or on boats - We have a shared obligation under International law to take in Asylum seekers and process their claim for refugee status. More importantly for debate, asylum seekers and refugees are not considered as ‘migrants’ and form a very small minority of the total number of foreign arrivals applying for permanent residency in the UK.

A really interesting document on how migration is measured and who is defined as ‘migrant’
Good post but unfortunately quite a few will dismiss it with Yeah, but or Whataboutery.
This thread has contributed to my Ignore list.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Here I am…
Yes, I often find the best thing to do with ignorance and racism is just to ignore it. It normally goes away by itself.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Apologies for the long post but given the response to my first post, I feel the need to elaborate my position somewhat. I agree with your post wholeheartedly - it isn’t ’unreasonable’ and this is the starting point for me - recognising that we can not ignore those concerns or dismiss them purely as xenophobic or racist - I live in quite a socially deprived area, where there is little in the way of rented accommodation, long waiting lists for non-urgent primary care and secondary services - it is no coincidence that anti-immigrant sentiments are high amongst the community here. It would be utterly impossible for me to have any meaningful dialogue if my starting point was to accuse everybody who complains to me about the doctors surgery being ‘full of immigrants’ or they can’t get a dentist ‘because of immigrants’, of being racist or xenophobic even if it were obvious that is where some people are at.

The pressure on housing is more complex - it is a common trope that if it were not for immigration we would not have a shortage of housing; the longterm trends in single occupancy; increase in house ownership/second homes; tougher environmental/development laws over the past 75 years; natural population growth in the non-immigrant population due to increased lifespans and better infant survival are also contributory to the shortage of housing as is a lack of investment in social housing stock. It is also the case that new immigrants, unless they are well off, live in denser households and therefore take up more space. That said, high levels of immigration do impact the availability of housing but not in terms of queue jumping or necessarily in the public sector - 80% of new immigrants live in private sector housing and there is no evidence to support the assertion that migrants get priority on social housing lists (in fact having a local connection is a criteria most new migrants don’t meet). After decades, the level of home ownership among migrants is similar to the indigenous population:

Excellent post.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Good post but unfortunately quite a few will dismiss it with Yeah, but or Whataboutery.
This thread has contributed to my Ignore list.
Everyone on this thread who has been mocked for posting rubbish was already on my ignore list.

How very queer. ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports