Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
I’m more concerned about dysentery at the moment.

There are no* toilet rolls in my local supermarket!

Well, none at all last night but maybe they will have restocked overnight:lol:

Apologies for quoting myself but I’ve just seen this...............:laugh:

FB1B7841-903D-4B5A-986B-8AF716DA1A9F.jpeg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With £250m going to the NHS every week, I'm fairly confident we'll be ok.

I'm certainly not concerned although 2 weeks in quarantine does sound appealing.

I have bought a facemask.
Bit of an odd design, I had to cut a hole in it so I could eat.

Here all week.
Don't forget you tip your waiter.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Anecdotally (a friend of a friend knows the “super spreader” from Hove) the disease can be mild to unnoticeable. Statistically the death rate (including margin of error) is between 0.5% and 4%. The lower range is no worse than flu. The higher range is more worrying.

There are currently mumps outbreaks in the country which can seriously damage young kids, made worse because of the thick bellend anti vaxxers, and several strains of flu (my daughter got one in October). No one seems to be advocating forced vaccination for MMR and flu, yet here we are with people on these threads wanting borders closed and gatherings banned when there are still fewer than 100 cases in the UK. It’s mental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that I've ever had full-blown flu, it's still not very nice, is it?

I think my issue with talking about death rates and 'people die from flu every year' is that at least there is the flu jab that can protect against it. With this bad boy, it's just spreading like anything. There are going to be a lot of people affected – healthwise and general disruption to their lives. We've seen it in the Far East and I've no reason to doubt that the situation won't be any different over here as more and more cases come up. Containing it is the issue, because no-one knows how to deal with it. No, it might not prove fatal to many, but it will take the lives of lots of people who otherwise wouldn't have got it, if that makes sense?

Not sure I'm worried for myself, but for others? Very much so.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Have you ever thought about combating your worries by opening a Funeral Parlour. Just as a safety net in case all of your other worries come to fruition ?

The week I open they'd find a solution for eternal life.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I dont want, I smoke like an animal. Could be a decent opportunity to attempt to quit, but I dont like the thought of being locked inside my apartment for two weeks without nicotine.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
As long as it is at least 60% alcohol

Was reading this in an article just before - hand washing and hand sanitizer if you're out and about is the best defense!

"it’s actually been proven by science. A large new study published in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews reinforced that hand washing helps slow the spread of illness. In fact, it reduced the chances of contracting a respiratory illness by 54% — the best odds of any other option.

This isn't surprising. Hand washing became known as a major way to slow the spread of infections way back in the 1850s when Louis Pasteur and Joseph Lister documented what a huge difference it made. (Though they weren’t the first to notice: Ignaz Semmelweis realized that hand washing saved lives 20 years earlier. Sadly, clean hands didn’t become popular until after his death.)

“It was a rather radical concept and people thought it was crazy,” McGee said.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Thanks China

The source of the coronavirus is believed to be a "wet market" in Wuhan which sold both dead and live animals including fish and birds.

Such markets pose a heightened risk of viruses jumping from animals to humans because hygiene standards are difficult to maintain if live animals are being kept and butchered on site. Typically, they are also densely packed.

The animal source of the latest outbreak has not yet been identified, but the original host is thought to be bats. Bats were not sold at the Wuhan market but may have infected live chickens or other animals sold there.

Bats are host to a wide range of zoonotic viruses including Ebola, HIV and rabies.

Oh really? - bats that you say aren't there anyway. Don't the genuine peace loving always truthful Cinese have a research lab in Wuhan? Sure I read it somewhere..

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Anecdotally (a friend of a friend knows the “super spreader” from Hove) the disease can be mild to unnoticeable. Statistically the death rate (including margin of error) is between 0.5% and 4%. The lower range is no worse than flu. The higher range is more worrying.

There are currently mumps outbreaks in the country which can seriously damage young kids, made worse because of the thick bellend anti vaxxers, and several strains of flu (my daughter got one in October). No one seems to be advocating forced vaccination for MMR and flu, yet here we are with people on these threads wanting borders closed and gatherings banned when there are still fewer than 100 cases in the UK. It’s mental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was a mumps outbreak we have a vaccine we dont for this also plenty of people doctors and journalists have been avocating that you get MMR vaccinations and that the reasons not to are fake news and wrong. This is averaging at 3.5%, 3.5% is a f*ckload of people when thousands get infected it is a virulent flu so i dont understand the no worse than flu comment since it clearly is worse than even your average flu which kills thousands annually. If you dont take it seriously in the hundreds it will very quickly go to thousands and millions. I have elderly parents and I myself am "at risk" so yea it isnt great. I guess you think you are invincible plenty of younger doctors/nurses have died...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I’m concerned companies are selling small bottles of hand gel for extortion amounts of money.
Again the wealthy will survive, if someone like me says feck me I’m not paying that, that’s my choice and I’m taking a risk based on age and medical back ground against a percentage of a chance I might catch it. The elderly and less well off at risk don’t have that choice and potential this could harm there chances of not catching it. I don’t know how company owners can sleep at night who know this, that’s my concern.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I’m concerned companies are selling small bottles of hand gel for extortion amounts of money.
Again the wealthy will survive, if someone like me says feck me I’m not paying that, that’s my choice and I’m taking a risk based on age and medical back ground against a percentage of a chance I might catch it. The elderly and less well off at risk don’t have that choice and potential this could harm there chances of not catching it. I don’t know how company owners can sleep at night who know this, that’s my concern.

This virus has emerged in a culture that uses face masks when unwell and do not shake hands. The wash your hands shit is just them giving you false hope of not catching it while we consider how it is really being transferred airborne comes to mind but that might panic the plebs wash your hands and you will be fine.

Albion100

Jan 4, 2013
Patcham
I am massively torn by this. Obviously I don't want an outbreak that may make thousands ill but on other hand if it meant that Liverpool didn't win the league because all football was suspended, well...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
This virus has emerged in a culture that uses face masks when unwell and do not shake hands. The wash your hands shit is just them giving you false hope of not catching it while we consider how it is really being transferred airborne comes to mind but that might panic the plebs wash your hands and you will be fine.

Ok, I’m a sucker.

Glad I refused to pay it now.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Reckon the Aussie tourist industry is going to be well and truly stuffed in the short term. Most tourists from Europe go via an Asian hub. Who's going to risk doing that while there's a chance of being quarantined for a fortnight or refused entry by the Aussie authorities?

I’ve got a friend due to arrive in a couple of weeks from the UK, fingers are well and truly crossed that she makes it over.

Plus I’m looking at my flights to see my mum later this year. The ones via Hong Kong are coming out cheapest at the moment but I’ll probably stick with Emirates and fly via Dubai!

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
A daughter badly suffers from mitochondrial disease and her husband is asthmatic. Added to that I am over 60 with heart disease. I therefore do have real concerns but am trying not to worry too much because life does need to go on and we need to make what we can of it. However it does rather put football struggles into perspective.

Hereford Gull

Jan 21, 2004
Margaret River WA
I’ve got a friend due to arrive in a couple of weeks from the UK, fingers are well and truly crossed that she makes it over.

Plus I’m looking at my flights to see my mum later this year. The ones via Hong Kong are coming out cheapest at the moment but I’ll probably stick with Emirates and fly via Dubai!

Came thru HK 2 weeks ago, almost empty, hard to get within 2m of anybody and everyone had a mask (accepting they are of limited use). Probaby the safest place in Asia. Going back end March, I'm more likely to catch it in UK than HK airport.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here