Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What? That sounds extremely weird.. you got any source for this?
I've read it a couple of times, and I believed it (from memory it read like semantics, and explained why they don't do it now), but I'm reading other things from the WHO that suggest it's still possible?

Here's one link (although I've read it elsewhere before):
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...ation-coronavirus-pandemic-emergency-12465146

I'd probably read it elsewhere, but coming from the same source:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/24/reu...demic-category-but-virus-still-emergency.html

"There is no official category (for a pandemic)," WHO spokesman Tarik Jasarevic said.

"WHO does not use the old phasing system that some people may be familiar with from 2009. Under the IHR (International Health Regulations), WHO has declared a public health emergency of international concern."

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I've read it a couple of times, and I believed it (from memory it read like semantics, and explained why they don't do it now), but I'm reading other things from the WHO that suggest it's still possible?

Here's one link (although I've read it elsewhere before):
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...ation-coronavirus-pandemic-emergency-12465146

I'd probably read it elsewhere, but coming from the same source:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/24/reu...demic-category-but-virus-still-emergency.html

"There is no official category (for a pandemic)," WHO spokesman Tarik Jasarevic said.

"WHO does not use the old phasing system that some people may be familiar with from 2009. Under the IHR (International Health Regulations), WHO has declared a public health emergency of international concern."

Alright.

Still very odd as viruses feels like the main source of pandemics.

Maybe they mean that they dont use the old scale anymore, but they could still label it a pandemic somehow.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The international response seems really disjointed.

Some of the decisions seem entirely baffling.

Italy, for example. So Saturday's Juventus home match is to be played behind closed doors, to avoid chance of spread, yet tonight 3,000 Juve fans will travel to Lyon for a CL match. :shrug:

(and as of today, 6,000 Italian rugby fans are due to travel to Dublin next weekend.)

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
Currently live 200 metres away from the Middlesbrough school closed for quarantine after students returned from a Northern Italy Skiing trip.

Manager at works kid attends that school. It’s not been confirmed if anyone has tested positive yet. Pandemic is just around the corner, it’s closer than we’re led to believe.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Italy, for example. So Saturday's Juventus home match is to be played behind closed doors, to avoid chance of spread, yet tonight 3,000 Juve fans will travel to Lyon for a CL match. :shrug:

(and as of today, 6,000 Italian rugby fans are due to travel to Dublin next weekend.)

Yep.

I know someone whose son has just returned from an Italian skiing trip with the school. He's been told to stay home for two weeks as a precaution. However, his brother, who lives under the same roof is able to go to school each day.

Given those who are infected may not show symptoms for some time, yet can be contagious, this just seems bizarre. Whilst I'm not suggesting whole swathes of the population are kept at home, I'm not sure the approach outlined above will work to contain the virus. If only one kid came back with the virus, it seems likely that it will spread far and wide as a result.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I know someone
Jesus Christ! You need to self-isolate now!

whose son has just returned from an Italian skiing trip with the school. He's been told to stay home for two weeks as a precaution. However, his brother, who lives under the same roof is able to go to school each day.
Well there is some logic. The kid who was in Italy could have contracted the virus from someone who had it. The brother, will not yet have got it, or at least not got it and already be spreading it. It presumably also depends how likely it is that the skier came into contact with it. If there was a high chance, presumably they'd have been asked to self-isolate (so, away from their brother).

Given those who are infected may not show symptoms for some time, yet can be contagious
Although it's likely there's some truth in that, it hasn't actually been confirmed has it?

Whilst I'm not suggesting whole swathes of the population are kept at home, I'm not sure the approach outlined above will work to contain the virus. If only one kid came back with the virus, it seems likely that it will spread far and wide as a result.
We have had cases in this country, and it's been contained so far, so the methods appear to have been working. That doesn't mean I don't expect it to spread, since so many people travel abroad.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

An Irish minister was on tv last night calling for the game to be postponed and there is talk of our game in Italy already to be called off.

Japan Olympics are also in doubt, imagine the cost Japan has outlayed for the infrastructure, stadiums and hotels, etc, all to waste.

This would then cast doubt over the Euros.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
There are a number of international trade exhibitions that have been cancelled this week, one in Milan and one in Frankfurt.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
An Irish minister was on tv last night calling for the game to be postponed and there is talk of our game in Italy already to be called off.

Japan Olympics are also in doubt, imagine the cost Japan has outlayed for the infrastructure, stadiums and hotels, etc, all to waste.

This would then cast doubt over the Euros.

At least with the 6 Nations, you can just cancel the Italy games, without affecting the integrity of the competition. Just award all their intended opponents the bonus point win, they'd inevitably have racked up.

(Fortunately they've already played Scotland, as that one would have been a little harder to call...)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We are entering what could be a series of incredibly difficult problems regarding health, agriculture, homelessness, poverty and food supplies thanks to this virus. ... Thank goodness we have that talented Mr Johnson to lead us through it with his decisive leadership.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
"Austria, Croatia and Switzerland said the cases involved people who had been to Italy, as did Algeria in Africa...Italy has in recent days become Europe's worst-affected country, with more than 300 cases and 11 deaths.

But its neighbours have decided closing borders would be "disproportionate".

Health ministers from France, Germany, Italy and the EU Commission committed to keeping frontiers open at a meeting on Tuesday as new cases of the virus emerged throughout Europe and in central and southern Italy.

"We're talking about a virus that doesn't respect borders," said Italian Health Minister Roberto Speranza."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51638095

That is insane. Yes the virus doesn't respect borders. But people do, and people carry the virus. Putting the concept of "open borders" above public health just shows how gripped the EU is with it's own ideology.

When you combine this with the fact that everything will grind to a halt because "we live in an interdependent world" etc, this is going to be the moment we realize that globalization isn't just a blessing, it's also a potential curse.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Is the virus stronger in Italy than South Korea, Italy 348 cases 11 deaths, south Korea 1200 cases 11 deaths??

Whilst I don't know about South Korea most of the deaths in Italy have been elderly folk. Maybe just a higher proportion of older people got it in Italy?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here