Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
An absolute disgrace from this government but then again that's to be expected, new models suggest there could be more daily hospitalisations in this wave than there were in January and well in excess of 400 deaths daily. The virus is now being allowed to run free through society despite many millions not having the necessary protection that the double vaccination can give. Expectations that 2,000 will be hospitalised daily putting more unsustainable pressure on an already crippled NHS and waiting lists for all other illnesses put back indefinitely.

Devastating consequences of wrongly lifting covid rules

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
An absolute disgrace from this government but then again that's to be expected, new models suggest there could be more daily hospitalisations in this wave than there were in January and well in excess of 400 deaths daily. The virus is now being allowed to run free through society despite many millions not having the necessary protection that the double vaccination can give. Expectations that 2,000 will be hospitalised daily putting more unsustainable pressure on an already crippled NHS and waiting lists for all other illnesses put back indefinitely.

If you’re going to quote articles, please stop twisting them and then posting to suit your agenda.

It doesn’t say ‘well in excess of 400 deaths daily’

It doesn’t say ‘expectations that 2,000 will be hospitalised daily’

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

And you are an absolute disgrace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yoda

English & European
And you are an absolute disgrace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's a bit harsh after what was said earlier on here.

What I would like say in response to Crodo, is that even the SAGE estimate's of 100-200 daily deaths was quoted this morning on BBC Breakfast by a member of SAGE to be their "Best, worst case scenario."

It's their figures that matter to the Government, do you still class this as a disgrace?

I was wonder why the SPI-M figures were so different, but then I saw who is still a member after his shame during the first lockdown: Professor Neil Ferguson - Imperial College London
Has a habit for way over estimating his projections, doesn't he?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I was wonder why the SPI-M figures were so different, but then I saw who is still a member after his shame during the first lockdown: Professor Neil Ferguson - Imperial College London
Has a habit for way over estimating his projections, doesn't he?

made a career from it. models are skewed and uses outlier outputs rather than filter them out.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
| BREAKING: Fans attending sporting events in England after July 19 will require a Covid passport and will be told to wear masks

Via [MENTION=4416]Tel[/MENTION]egraphSport

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Today's cut to foreign aid by the Government will, in turn, slow the spread of the AstraZeneca vaccine to many poorer nations, which in turn means the pandemic will take that much longer to resolve and leave us more vulnerable than ever

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
| BREAKING: Fans attending sporting events in England after July 19 will require a Covid passport and will be told to wear masks

minor detail: "Government will this week issue guidance to sports..." what a fudge up.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
No, it won't.

What do you mean by 'resolve' anyway. Covid isn't going to be like smallpox, it won't be eradicated, ever.

The only reason we need to help poorer nations with the vaccine is to save lives in those countries. It has absolutely no effect on our own personal goals.

So more people having it in other countries has no bearing on the likelyhood of it getting to the UK?

Okey doke skip.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Not really.

Now is the perfect time to relieve restrictions as we wouldn't want to do it later in the year, eg. Autumn or Winter when bugs are more transmissible.

2,000 hospitalisations during the peak in mid-Autumn would put strain on the NHS but it decidedly wouldn't overwhelm it. Get through this though and continue our vaccine programme and "peaks" of covid will eventually be a thing of the past as we just live with it.

My Niece is a nurse at Sussex county, she told her Aunt ( my wife) that ops are being cancelled there as there are no icu beds available as they are all taken by COVID cases ? Not really the opportune time for massive rule relaxation, IMHO.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
My Niece is a nurse at Sussex county, she told her Aunt ( my wife) that ops are being cancelled there as there are no icu beds available as they are all taken by COVID cases ? Not really the opportune time for massive rule relaxation, IMHO.

While there are currently only six people being treated for coronavirus in the Royal Sussex County hospital, the numbers have been described as 'alarming'.

Brighton and Hove City Council now want as many people as possible to get regular testing and vaccinated.

That’s a worry if 6 beds have taken all the ICU beds.....

From ITV

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
While there are currently only six people being treated for coronavirus in the Royal Sussex County hospital, the numbers have been described as 'alarming'.

Brighton and Hove City Council now want as many people as possible to get regular testing and vaccinated.

That’s a worry if 6 beds have taken all the ICU beds.....

From ITV

I have no reason to question the information I received, my niece is quite senior in her department and is not known for being alarmist. I just thought I’d pass on the information I received.!

Yoda

English & European
I have no reason to question the information I received, my niece is quite senior in her department and is not known for being alarmist. I just thought I’d pass on the information I received.!

It does seem a bit odd as this was only a week ago and covers St. Richards, Worthing & RSCH.
Screenshot 2021-07-13 202444.png

Maybe they are worried that those on the wards may need to be transferred to ICU leaving no capacity.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

WTF

Nadhim Zahawi
Not that long ago

“ I think mandating vaccination is discriminatory and completely wrong “

“ I urge businesses to NOT even think about this “

“Absolutely no plans for Vaccine passports “

Last edited:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
No, it won't.

What do you mean by 'resolve' anyway. Covid isn't going to be like smallpox, it won't be eradicated, ever.

The only reason we need to help poorer nations with the vaccine is to save lives in those countries. It has absolutely no effect on our own personal goals.

So where do you think the Delta variant started? Clue: It has also been called the Indian variant.

If there are less infections round the world then there is less opportunity for the disease to spread or mutate.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The virus will mutate ad infinitum anyway. That's what a viruses does and why we need a new flu vaccine every year.

For what it's worth, increasing evidence is showing that the delta (indian) variant has a lower hospitalisation and fatality rate than the previous most common variants.

Make of that what you will - but also take in mind that out of the competing virus variants, the most successful will not kill its hosts or have really bad symptoms in order to survive and flourish. In other words, the virus will naturally mutate to become something that is less lethal and with less severe symptoms, which it appears to be doing.

To be honest I probably won't take lectures on the virus from someone too selfish to have a vaccination. Sorry, I was forgetting your highly plausible story about helping the government out by doing it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here