Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Highest death tolls are normally on Tuesdays so:

Tuesday 14th April total deaths - 1044

Tuesday 21st April total deaths - 856

Tuesday 28th April total deaths - 681

Tuesday 5th May total deaths - 436 (England 366, Scotland 44, Wales 26, NI Na yet) *Care home losses will be added later

Clear downward trend, RIP to all those lost.

2-3 more weeks of lockdown should see these numbers come down to levels that you’d hope the testing system will be able to keep on top of.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The thing is as much as it doesn’t seem infection rates are coming down they absolutely are, a few weeks ago we have 5/6000 cases daily with mostly just hospital testing and under 15k tests, now we have between 50-100k people being tested each day with capacity for more and there been around 4K new cases consistently recently, it is still too many of course but I would wager if we had the number of tests we had now at peak time for infections it would have been at LEAST triple that 6k.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Been on downward trend for couple of weeks now just badly need the new infection rates to plummet and some sort of normality to return however gradual.

Yep. BBC landing page though says 'Minister to update UK as virus deaths mount' and I guarantee their 'breaking news' ticker will be today's and the cumulative death numbers rather than anything positive to take from the trend.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Definitely looking on the right path in most European countries now. Good chances of a fairly normal (except for globetrotters and people who go to massive culture events) summer in most places.

Finally a summer where people will be pleased by just having a small picnic in the park rather than dreaming about doing a bunch of fancy shit.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The thing is as much as it doesn’t seem infection rates are coming down they absolutely are, a few weeks ago we have 5/6000 cases daily with mostly just hospital testing and under 15k tests, now we have between 50-100k people being tested each day with capacity for more and there been around 4K new cases consistently recently, it is still too many of course but I would wager if we had the number of tests we had now at peak time for infections it would have been at LEAST triple that 6k.

Agree. Testing numbers are up dramatically, but the number of infected doesn't seem to be changing much - on the basis that the numbers in hospital (and in ITU), and being admitted to hospital, and number of deaths in hospital are all falling, we can deduce that far more people have had this than indicated (unless it's mutated into something less serious and a lower % of people are needing to be hospitalised) - we just didn't know because they weren't being tested.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Apart from the tragedy of deaths, job losses do you think the financial cost is a nation state issue or is it a global issue for example the USA has borrowed $3tn so far which is 5 times more that they borrowed following the 2008 global crash.

How will nation states pay for their own debts this could bankrupt a number, in my option this is being treated as nation state issue just listening to today's press briefing shows just how this is the case the question from the public was why was the tracking App not developed globally

I cannot not see the likes of the USA or China being willing to bail out other nations well not without somthing in return

Should the world just write the loans off and we all just start again is that even possible?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yep. BBC landing page though says 'Minister to update UK as virus deaths mount' and I guarantee their 'breaking news' ticker will be today's and the cumulative death numbers rather than anything positive to take from the trend.

They will just be reporting facts the good and the bad. It ain't Fox News mate....

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Sorry, what exactly are the positives, ONLY 600+ people died, that's a fact, not someone's twisted idea of political reporting!

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011

I sincerely hope they do lead with this grim statistic rather than falling for one of the numerous distraction sagas - footballers' wages, consignment of PPE in Turkey, trial of app...

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Ok, you're right. Absolutely nothing positive to report and never will be. People only want to read entirely negative news. Got it. [emoji106]
I have up watching the news years ago, there is never anything good on there, even more so now.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Suggestion for lead story?

Really don't mind - but not the same thing, every bulletin, every day and the relentless, depressing negativity. Maybe just a bit more profile for things like the Roche antibody test for example which is a massive deal but almost a buried footnote. Maybe I should just stop watching :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here