Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Maidstone United & their New 3G Pitch

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Looking forward to the match on Saturday & got talking to a mate who supports them.
Apparently they are having to play their FA cup games up the road at Chatham Town because the regulations dont let them play on a 3G pitch, although the FA Trophy games are ok to be played at the Gallagher Stadium.

This leaves me with questions maybe someone on here can help with

1. If it is a FA regulation why does it only apply to the FA cup & not the FA Trophy ???
2. What is so wrong with a 3G pitch that the FA have this regulation in the first place.
3. Why have they installed a 3G pitch if they knew it didnt meet certain FA critiera ???

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
It looks like the FA/football league will soon be allowing 3G pitches for use in Leagues 1 and 2 and the FA cup/league cup/JPT. The benefit is a massive cost saving as the pitch maintainence costs are a lot lower. Also the pitch can be in constant use, which means that clubs can gain a revenue stream by hiring out their pitches every day and evening (if they wanted). Obviously this cannot be done with grass.

The horrible plastic pitches of the 1980s are the reason that artificial turf is currently not allowed, however with the recent advance in 3G pitches, they will be in use sooner rather than later.

Having played on a top spec 3G pitch at Lilleshall National Sports Centre, I actually found that it made for a faster game than grass, and the pitch did not cut your legs if you did a slide tackle (unlike the older astro surfaces).

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
It looks like the FA/football league will soon be allowing 3G pitches for use in Leagues 1 and 2 and the FA cup/league cup/JPT. The benefit is a massive cost saving as the pitch maintainence costs are a lot lower. Also the pitch can be in constant use, which means that clubs can gain a revenue stream by hiring out their pitches every day and evening (if they wanted). Obviously this cannot be done with grass.

The horrible plastic pitches of the 1980s are the reason that artificial turf is currently not allowed, however with the recent advance in 3G pitches, they will be in use sooner rather than later.

Having played on a top spec 3G pitch at Lilleshall National Sports Centre, I actually found that it made for a faster game than grass, and the pitch did not cut your legs if you did a slide tackle (unlike the older astro surfaces).

Sounds fair to me, still cant understand why its allowed in the FA trophy, if the FA dont allow it atm. Guess it might be because it is non league football & although the Prelim rounds of the FA cup are also Non league, should they get through to the 1st round proper they cant suddenly change the location of their home ties.....

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Its a great honour Maidstone want us to play the first game, I believe they have been pretty nomadic since being thrown out the league. Looks a great stadium and I am sure they will heading for the Conference leagues with this behind them soon. I imagine they may play a few local games in Sussex, possibly Whitehawk, Horsham, Worthing even.

The Maidstone website says the game is sold out which will make for a great atmosphere if anyone has bagged a ticket.

Maidstone United Football Club

Attachments

• Galager.jpg
    Galager.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 285

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
As a (very) old person who doesn't as a general rule care to over-indulge in exercise, I would just comment that when playing knock around 5 a-side with my son and grandchildren in a local league (naturally I play in goal :thumbsup: ) the 3G surface is VERY firm underfoot and to my way of thinking it puts more stress on leg muscles than a traditional grass pitch. VERY limited experience obviously :lol:

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Its a great honour Maidstone want us to play the first game, I believe they have been pretty nomadic since being thrown out the league. Looks a great stadium and I am sure they will heading for the Conference leagues with this behind them soon. I imagine they may play a few local games in Sussex, possibly Whitehawk, Horsham, Worthing even.

The Maidstone website says the game is sold out which will make for a great atmosphere if anyone has bagged a ticket.

Maidstone United Football Club

Yes your right. It was a shame that by the time they managed to get themselves into the Football league they were already ground sharing with Dartford I believe.

So they have still yet to play a football league game at "home".

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Maidstone are the team I should have supported if we go by the rules that you follow the team nearest to where you were born. So I've always had a soft spot for them. They used to be a very decent non league (and briefly Football League) side, and they sold us Mark Gall. Glad to see they're finally coming home: they've been away even longer than we were.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here