Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mahmoud Dahoud (Loaned to VfB Stuttgart 31/01/24)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Except he did make telling contributions in the Everton and Ajax games so writing him off completely is just the standard NSC poster overreaction
The fact he‘s being written off after 5 games is a good sign I guess; Igor was written off after just one.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Except he did make telling contributions in the Everton and Ajax games so writing him off completely is just the standard NSC poster overreaction
I haven’t written him off… far from it, I’m just of the opinion he’s playing too deep, being asked to do things his game can’t deliver far too often.

But then again, you’ve always been a classic nsc blowhard… so naturally I have to bow to your own ridiculously high opinion of yourself.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Baleba's 19, very inexperienced and in a new league. I'd say he's doing well. The fee was high but we're investing in potential.

I'd say he's doing pretty well so far.

View attachment 171017

(all stats per 90 in the PL this season)
Interesting stat - but must also take into consideration the fact that Caicedo is not playing nearly as well this season as he did last year. Chelsea not getting the best out of him, and perhaps he's starting to realise that, apart from the money, his agent's advice hasn't been the best.
However, one way or another, he's stuck there because of the huge fee paid (Chelsea can only sell him at a loss) and the length od=f his contract.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
This. I thought MacAllister looked bang average in his first few months. I watched Enciso start in the away FA cup game v Stoke earlier this year, and he looked like a pretty shit headless chicken.

Almost straight after that it clicked for him and he looked unplayable.

Far too early to making definitive judgements on Dahoud, he was pretty poor yesterday but its still very early days.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
After that wonderful team we had last season, and then losing the players we did, newcomers were bound to be compared with what we had lost, so an uphill struggle for them to get the same love. I've come round to liking Igor, and Baleba is getting there, but I've yet to get that sort of good feeling about Dahoud. Totally subjective, I readily admit.
Maybe he'll come good, maybe he won't - or maybe he's just a 'filler' until one or two of the U21s are ready to step up.

Reactions: A1X

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Interesting stat - but must also take into consideration the fact that Caicedo is not playing nearly as well this season as he did last year. Chelsea not getting the best out of him, and perhaps he's starting to realise that, apart from the money, his agent's advice hasn't been the best.
However, one way or another, he's stuck there because of the huge fee paid (Chelsea can only sell him at a loss) and the length od=f his contract.
It’s an interesting comparison between Baleba and Caicedo. One has been slowly integrated into the team in a way that uses his best qualities. The other has been thrown into a seemingly toxic environment of sink or swim management (by the club). We see that in the stats.

Chelsea’s players seem to have a siege mentality at the moment, hushing supporters and arguing with opponents. Jackson looks like he’s got a huge chip on his shoulder. It can’t be much fun to play in that team.

I have no sympathy for Caicedo, having chosen and pursued his transfer. I still think he is, and will be, a brilliant player.

As has been written on here already, Baleba looks like an early version of Bissouma. When he starts to play with a bit more composure, he’ll be terrific.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
This. I thought MacAllister looked bang average in his first few months. I watched Enciso start in the away FA cup game v Stoke earlier this year, and he looked like a pretty shit headless chicken.

Almost straight after that it clicked for him and he looked unplayable.

Far too early to making definitive judgements on Dahoud, he was pretty poor yesterday but its still very early days.
This. You have to give people time and cut them some slack.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Clearly, Chelsea are still not functioning well and that's hampering Caicedo. Check out post 679 though. Baleba's numbers are up there with the Brighton version of Moises. Post in thread 'Mahmoud Dahoud (Signed 16/06/23)' https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/mahmoud-dahoud-signed-16-06-23.401208/post-10931275

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Clearly, Chelsea are still not functioning well and that's hampering Caicedo. Check out post 679 though. Baleba's numbers are up there with the Brighton version of Moises. Post in thread 'Mahmoud Dahoud (Signed 16/06/23)' https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/mahmoud-dahoud-signed-16-06-23.401208/post-10931275
Hadn't seen that one. It's interesting - the numbers are good - but it still doesn't convince me (and I suspect very few, if any, others) that Baleba is currently a better player for us than Caicedo was!
The stats to prove that stats don't explain everything perhaps?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
He was virtually anonymous. Our Midfield non existent. Was a lot better with more control when Gilmour came on
Dahoud along with other midfield was very poor in 1st half. Main reason improved when Gilmore came on was Burnley went back and did little attacking. This enabled Gross to help more in midfield and attack and of course the arrival of Mitoma also made all the difference in keeping defence occupied. Not saying Dahoud is great but he has had some good games and would have contributed far more in 2nd half with Burnley just defending and introduction of Mitoma

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
As has been written on here already, Baleba looks like an early version of Bissouma. When he starts to play with a bit more composure, he’ll be terrific.
Unfortunately we will then get the vultures circling with their cheque books & offers to his agent.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Unfortunately we will then get the vultures circling with their cheque books & offers to his agent.
Yep and l am sure the club are resigned to getting a couple of really good seasons out of him and then be prepared for axactly that to happen, sell him for a vastly inflated sum of money, and then move on to the next Carlos Baleba, who may be already at the academy. That is the way that we work.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Dahoud jury still out for me. There's flashes of brilliance, followed by long periods of mediocrity and then pure argh......

There were about 4-5 misplaced passes in the first half, one at least in the category of 'ridiculously bad'. Not being able to make simple passes to your team mates shows that there is something not right going on imo.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
The fact he‘s being written off after 5 games is a good sign I guess; Igor was written off after just one.
I will hold my hand up to having had doubts about Igor initially and am very happy to be proved wrong, at times yesterday he looked almost imperious in possession.
Mo though i still worry about, even though he and Igor have both started 9 games, he looks a little lost at times. Perhaps our way of playing does not suit him or his role in the system or just the premier league in general. That being said i have not given up on him as i feel he is trying to help the team but unfortunately it is just not working at the moment.

Kitcatt

Apr 7, 2017
Dahoud jury still out for me. There's flashes of brilliance, followed by long periods of mediocrity and then pure argh......

There were about 4-5 misplaced passes in the first half, one at least in the category of 'ridiculously bad'. Not being able to make simple passes to your team mates shows that there is something not right going on imo.
Agree with this. It was a Dahoud misplaced pass that led to their goal yesterday. But he also has had ok games for us. I reckon he’ll come good (or at least I hope so)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
This. You have to give people time and cut them some slack.
The only problem is that we risk dropping points in the meantime. By all means play Baleba, but don't invent a position just to cover his deficiencies. If he's going to be a central midfield player, then play him there but alongside Gilmour or Gross rather than Dahoud.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

I don't think he's suited to playing in that holding role. He looks better going forward.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Hadn't seen that one. It's interesting - the numbers are good - but it still doesn't convince me (and I suspect very few, if any, others) that Baleba is currently a better player for us than Caicedo was!
The stats to prove that stats don't explain everything perhaps?

Like I said in that post, Baleba is clearly not yet at the level of Caicedo. However, he's younger than Moi was when he made his breakthrough for us and is settling in well. My original post was in response to someone suggesting he wasn't living up to expectations.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Dahoud is well down the midfield pecking order in my view.

Ordinarily, Gross Gilmour and Baleba should be in front of him.

Then you have to consider moder regaining fitness and Hinshelwood likely to resume an attempt to have a career as a midfielder once we have fit full backs.

Dahoud will get a few games in the coming months as we'll have to rotate and we have the fa cup. But he'll have to start performing quite soon. If we had everyone fit, he'd struggle to make the match day squad on his current performances

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here