Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mahmoud Dahoud (Loaned to VfB Stuttgart 31/01/24)

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Hadn't seen much in Dahoud in the friendlies. but I was impressed with his contribution today. He needs to catch up to the physical demands of the division, but there was evidence there that he could pull the strings. Different type of player to AM & MC, but I can see why RDZ wanted him. He looks good on the half turn and as he gets to know his teammates better, he could be very influential.
Positionally he seems to play the Caicedo role in that he often takes the straight ball out from the goalie, on the half turn. He looks technically good but physically he seems very lightweight. He needs a beast next to him to protect the midfield. ( they don’t come cheap these days)
He hasn’t played a lot in the last year so hopefully a good run of games will do it.
I think we may use Gilmour against Wolves.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yeh. He grew into the game and I think will grow into the season.

To me, he does a similar job to Lallana, Alzate, Gilmour and Moder. A neat and tidy passer.

The question he has to answer is how effective he can be when we're not in possession, particularly if we're being hit on the counter. I understand why RDZ wants to being in an athletic enforcer

Jimmy Grimble

Against better opposition he will 100% need someone who is physically dominant alongside him. Even when he is fully adapted to the Prem, I still cannot see him as a duel winner in the same way Alexis and Moises were.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
With the small amount of game time so far, how do we thing Mo is doing? What's his potential for us?
Looks very tidy if a little lightweight. With Gilmour becoming more assertive and the introduction of Baleba I think he can make more of a contribution going forward. I am not seeing him as a lynchpin right now, I think he'll mostly deployed from the bench or as a starter in 'B' games

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Looks very technical, moves the ball quickly, promising. However needs to come to grips with the EPL, he lost a block tackle that he was 60/40 to win on Saturday because their lad went in a lot harder, he’ll learn. I expect to see lots of him in the Europa.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I watched him in yesterday's game to see how he did and how he compared to WBG.

He grew into the game, but still quite a few misplaced passes, esp in the first half. As @Milan and @Hotchilidog have said, still looks to be coming to grips with the physicality of the Prem. Game time will be the only solution to that and I'm confident he'll come good.

He takes up good positions, so clearly sees the game well. His first touch is lovely. He gets his head up and is looking for runners.

Behind Gilmour at the moment and interesting to see what Baleba brings to the pivot role. But feels like we are stronger in DCM than last season now, even if we don't have an operator of Caicedo's standard quite yet.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

He grew into the game, but still quite a few misplaced passes, esp in the first half. As @Milan and @Hotchilidog have said, still looks to be coming to grips with the physicality of the Prem. Game time will be the only solution to that and I'm confident he'll come good.

He takes up good positions, so clearly sees the game well. His first touch is lovely. He gets his head up and is looking for runners.

Behind Gilmour at the moment and interesting to see what Baleba brings to the pivot role. But feels like we are stronger in DCM than last season now, even if we don't have an operator of Caicedo's standard quite yet.
Looking forward to seeing Baleba, looks really strong. Didn't realise the size of him, at 19 ys old. Amazing. With that physicality and the obvious excitement over his ability and potential could he end up being an upgrade in a season or two as he develops?

To clarify, I mean an upgrade on the Brighton caceido, not the broken chelsea one.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017

Similar to how I saw it too, especially regarding first half I thought he gave the ball away cheaply too many times, a better second half.

However, I see it similar to a striker who’s not scoring but keeps getting in the right positions to score, eventually it usually clicks. Yesterday he was always showing for the ball, taking it in tight areas, playing the way De Zerbi wants us to play. So he’s obviously invested in our system and is learning to play it. This was the brilliant sign for me that he never went hiding in the game even when United were on top in the first half.

When he gets sharper and begins executing what he’s trying to do and gains more confidence I think we will have a real player on our hands.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Similar to how I saw it too, especially regarding first half I thought he gave the ball away cheaply too many times, a better second half.

However, I see it similar to a striker who’s not scoring but keeps getting in the right positions to score, eventually it usually clicks. Yesterday he was always showing for the ball, taking it in tight areas, playing the way De Zerbi wants us to play. So he’s obviously invested in our system and is learning to play it. This was the brilliant sign for me that he never went hiding in the game even when United were on top in the first half.

When he gets sharper and begins executing what he’s trying to do and gains more confidence I think we will have a real player on our hands.
Seemed to be on the same wavelength as Pascal - I guess it must be quite nice (for them both) to be playing with a fellow German. [Likewise - I was wondering whether Veltman and van Hecke enjoy playing together as fellow Dutchmen?]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here