[News] Madonna - the greatest?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Are you serious? She’s a vile, unhinged narcissist, abusive to just about everyone who has ever worked with her, backing dancers, choreographers, set designers, friends and family members too. Very far from being a great role model of any kind to anyone. Even her son has little to do with her and chooses to live with his dad.

Well, OK. You may be right, I don't know what she's like as an individual on a personal level, you seem to know a lot more about that than me. I'll concede she's probably not top on my list of people I'd want to have a friendly one to one chat with. However, I'm talking about the public personality, the "celebrity". She's succeeded in a male dominated, misogynistic industry, on her own terms, using and even celebrating her sexuality on her own terms, choosing the direction of her career, changing and adapting, and staying in complete control. Those are the qualities that I think make her a great female role model. A strong woman who has done things her way.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Fingernails down the blackboard.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
And yet, if she were to die tomorrow, the few people who are being mean would be crawling out of the woodwork in the RIP thread with platitudes and memorials of how gifted she was.

Yes, it's "cool" to pretend not to like Madonna - but I think it's clear we are all in agreement that she is one of the - if not the - greatest performer of all time.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
:lolol:

Thanks - not seen that before and it's brought tears to my eyes.

Me neither and me too.

I just laughed so hard I blew my left testicle out my backside.

:bowdown:

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
And yet, if she were to die tomorrow, the few people who are being mean would be crawling out of the woodwork in the RIP thread with platitudes and memorials of how gifted she was.

Yes, it's "cool" to pretend not to like Madonna - but I think it's clear we are all in agreement that she is one of the - if not the - greatest performer of all time.

It may be 'cool' to pretend, but what if you can't stand that tone-deaf, caterwauling, white noise-polluting, ear-rupturing harridan for real?

It's often sad when someone well-known dies, but I don't think 'we are all in agreement' with you. When it comes to performers, there's the dog that said 'sausages' on That's Life, for one.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

It's much cooler to not like Coldplay though :lolol:

On a serious note I disagree vehemently with your last comment, so am I absolutely NOT in agreement, but it's all about opinions

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
erm... [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION], we're surely missing...
]

Mate, I have tried to be judicious so as not to attract the unwanted attentions of THPP who gets aroused when I post too many musical videos in the space of too short a time ???

I must admit that PJ Harvey somewhat passed me by. She emerged at a time when I took a hiatus from new music.

To save time and avoid luring the fearsome jock from his Preston Park cave, may I list a few more of the female artistes who I'd reach for in preference to the Madonna?

Dusty Springfield
Pauline Murray (Penetration)
Karen Carpenter
Elkie Brooks (when she was in Vinegar Joe)
Jae Matthews (Boy Harsher)
Lesley Woods (Au Pairs)
Ramona Carlier (Mo-dettes)....

Actually.....Madonna was higher up my list than I thought. Definitely top 20.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

You cannot accept that people don’t like her. I only post in RIP threads if I liked the person or even knew who they were.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I'll eat everyones hats if she writes her own songs

Another pretty effing sure she did not...

She apparently wrote most of the songs on her first album by herself and has written a lot of her other songs with other artists.
Having a diva credited for writing something and it actually being true are possibly very different things, but here's a link of all songs she's credited for writing/co-writing.

https://secondhandsongs.com/artist/84/works

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012

You seem like you may be on the verge of making a "leave Brittany alone-esque" video in defence of Madonna.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Madonna is certainly in the top 10 female pop stars of all time . A pop star doesn’t necessarily mean they have the best voice and Madonna certainly doesn’t but she does have star quality a huge career spanning 40 years and counting .

If you are going to judge a well known singer purely on her voice and career then it’s hard to look past Streisand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here