Madeleine McCann...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I think it's easy to come across as holier than thou when critiquing the McCann's actions. I have made plenty of mistakes as a parent, and as much as I do my best to learn from them I will make more again in the future. That is true of virtually every parent, to varying degrees. Fortunately, for most us of those mistakes end up being trivial rather than life changing.

We've 'lost' our son on a few occasions. The first time, he was little older than two. My missus was at home with him, waiting for her dad to pay them a visit. She was taking some washing upstairs, and simply said to him "you stand there and look out for granddad". When she came down stairs there was absolutely no sign of him. I received a phone call from her at work, and she was unintelligible (more so than usual even) - just crying and screaming down the phone. I'd never known her so upset in all the time I've known her, and believe me, I've upset her once or twice along the way.

After about 15 minutes of searching, a neighbour found him wandering in the road round the corner from our house. He'd taken "look out for granddad" as an instruction to go looking for him, and quietly slipped out of the door. She was only upstairs for a minute and boom, he'd vanished. That could have ended badly, fortunately it didn't.

It happened again on his sixth birthday last year. All the family had gone bowling, and he wanted to show my mum something near the arcade area. Instead of walking sensibly with her, he shot off and my dear old mum, in her 70s, completely lost sight of him. We spent nearly an hour searching for him. You very quickly go from a fairly casual "well, he can't have gone very far" to genuinely fearing something terrible might have happened. With every minute that goes by, that feeling gets worse.

As I say, after almost an hour, by this point everyone visibly stressed and panicked (not least my mum), he miraculously reappeared. The little bugger had been hiding in the disabled toilet, for nothing other than shits and giggles. He knew he was safe all along, so what's the problem? He couldn't quite comprehend the fact that we didn't.

It's the thought of not knowing whether that feeling is going to last for another five minutes, or the rest of your life. I can only imagine the horror the McCann's must have felt when they returned to find Madeleine's room empty, followed the the increasing feeling that with every minute, hour, day, week that passed, the situation was less-and-less likely to have a happy ending. As a parent, I can totally sympathise with them on that.

Maybe I, and in fact all of us, owe a degree of our own risk aversion as parents to the events of that night; a cruel case study as to what can go wrong if you take too big a gamble with your kids' safety, no matter how good the odds look on paper. But that's ultimately what they did; they rolled the dice and paid an incomprehensible price for their patatas bravas.

What an excellent and searingly honest post.

When my daughter was 2 (she's nearly 11 now) we were in the Sealife Centre at Great Yarmouth (don't ask me what the **** we were doing in that shithole of a resort; ask my ex. She booked it). Anyway, we ended up in the gift shop and I was pushing our 6 month old son in his buggy. After a bit my ex came up to me and asked where Florence was. I said "I thought she was with you?" and you can guess the rest. My blood ran cold. She'd only been out of our sight for a moment. I'm not sure how long we were looking for her - maybe just a few minutes but it felt like a lifetime and I was shouting at the shop assistants to lock the doors FFS.

In the end we found her hiding amongst a rail of Sealife Centre hoodies (£39.99. Can you believe that?) thinking she was having a great game.

Parenting, eh? The longest five minutes of my life and the feeling will never leave me.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
What an excellent and searingly honest post.

When my daughter was 2 (she's nearly 11 now) we were in the Sealife Centre at Great Yarmouth (don't ask me what the **** we were doing in that shithole of a resort; ask my ex. She booked it). Anyway, we ended up in the gift shop and I was pushing our 6 month old son in his buggy. After a bit my ex came up to me and asked where Florence was. I said "I thought she was with you?" and you can guess the rest. My blood ran cold. She'd only been out of our sight for a moment. I'm not sure how long we were looking for her - maybe just a few minutes but it felt like a lifetime and I was shouting at the shop assistants to lock the doors FFS.

In the end we found her hiding amongst a rail of Sealife Centre hoodies (£39.99. Can you believe that?) thinking she was having a great game.

Parenting, eh? The longest five minutes of my life and the feeling will never leave me.

I know exactly where you mean. The only reason is my wife was trudging round there with the kids and had almost finished and I was too tight to purchase a ticket to join them. I did the old stroll through the exit trick which was also the gift shop. I also concur that Great Yarmouth is a hole and those hoodies are a rip off.

Music City Gull

Not Changing This, Bozza
Jun 28, 2020
12 South

rPWPJZS.gif

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
My partner and I took our daughter, who was then about 5, to a water park in Spain. We only had eyes for her. No distractions. Somehow, we lost her! the slides weren't transparent, and somehow she simply disappeared. We were hysterical, and immediately decided that we wouldn't return to England without her. Thank god, some guy found her, and took her to a sort of ticket office. I frequently replay this in my mind and and can never establish how she went missing. The guy that found her could have been a paedophile. He just happened to be an ordinary bloke, who stumbled across someone else's distressed child. There but for the grace of God..............

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Woman claims she's Madeleine mcCann <-For those of you unaware. That's a clicky, a hyperlink, click it to go to the article.

16DD5763-B032-40A9-AA7E-58B8D407511F.png

"She said that she had been regularly sexually abused by a German man with the surname Ney and noted that one of Madeline's suspects several years ago was Martin Ney"

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Woman claims she's Madeleine mcCann
View attachment 157391
"She said that she had been regularly sexually abused by a German man with the surname Ney and noted that one of Madeline's suspects several years ago was Martin Ney"
Incredible if true.

Obviously horrific what she must have experienced in that case, but there can barely be a single soul out there thinking she's still alive, which would obviously be remarkable and fantastic if it is indeed the case.

Presumably in 2023 it should be a five minute job to actually find out if it is indeed her?

Does sound a bit too weird/unreal to be true but here's hoping.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
….hardly necessary as she’s two years too old 🤷‍♂️
If she had been kidnapped and then "sold" to some childless couple or something, you'd imagine that the perpetrator would falsify not only the name but also the birth date of the girl with a year or two.

I imagine there is like a 98% chance that the girl is just a weird young woman from Poland with some issues, but no harm in a DNA check.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If she had been kidnapped and then "sold" to some childless couple or something, you'd imagine that the perpetrator would falsify not only the name but also the birth date of the girl with a year or two.

I imagine there is like a 98% chance that the girl is just a weird young woman from Poland with some issues, but no harm in a DNA check.
Try 99.9%.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

Back and even more mental than before 😂😂😂👏👏👏

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports