Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Madeleine Albright RIP

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is so ill-informed it makes my head hurt. Putin is a right-wing, capitalist, nationalist dictator, not a communist one. The west helped him into power partly because they feared a resurgence of communism in Russia after the disastrous Yeltsin years, and trusted him to do whatever it took to stop it.

The best and simplest explanation I had for this came from my history teacher.

Political divide is not a straight line moving either left or right from the centre.

It's circular.

Take that straight line and put the ends together.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
This is so ill-informed it makes my head hurt. Putin is a right-wing, capitalist, nationalist dictator, not a communist one. The west helped him into power partly because they feared a resurgence of communism in Russia after the disastrous Yeltsin years, and trusted him to do whatever it took to stop it.

It’s what he perceives himself to be and a right wing dictator isn’t it. He’s dyed in the wool KGB. Post#41 sums it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
It’s what he perceives himself to be and a right wing dictator isn’t it. He’s dyed in the wool KGB. Post#41 sums it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He most definitely doesn't perceive himself as a communist. His whole politics is anti-communist! He launched this war with a speech condemning Lenin ffs! My god, does nobody care what words mean anymore?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He most definitely doesn't perceive himself as a communist. His whole politics is anti-communist! He launched this war with a speech condemning Lenin ffs! My god, does nobody care what words mean anymore?

It feels like a lot of people think that if you have a one party government with not particularly free elections, you're a communist. Which - if its even to be considered a part of the ideology (Marx surely didnt say it was required), is just one small aspect of the ideology.

There has been no truly communist rulers that I can think of. The Social Democrats in Sweden were pretty close in the 1970s when it launched the idea that every worker would become a shareholder in the company in the company he or she was working for. Sadly the oligarchy here wasnt too keen. In some senses Cuba were relatively close to the definition in some areas, and if you read Kim Il-sungs books he certainly wanted to take NK in a communist direction.

Putin is definitely quite far from any kind of communism... same thing with the neo-liberal Xi Jinping who is a lot more Thatcher than any kind of communist.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
fascism
[ fash-iz-uhm ]

noun
(sometimes initial capital letter) a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/fascism

Sums Putin up to a T.

He is a fascist dictator.

I would go further than Swanny and say that he is as far away from communism (in its purest sense) as it is possible to get.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here