Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mackail-smith?

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I feel we need a bit of balance here. He has looked sharp out of the danger area ie the penalty area. He has not looked like scoring or got into scoring positions. Of course it is easier for players to impress in short cameos at the end when the defenders have had a full game and are tiring. The same goes with March. They are both better off the bench at the moment. If either start at Derby I expect less impression from them. That said I feel CMS should have longer on the pitch.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
His attitude and work rate is needed on Sunday, hopefully he starts.

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
It's not that easy, we've had quite a few late subs that have had zero impact, recent late subs that spring to mind - Solly March, Rodriguez, Lopez, Obika(lol).

The only two that I think consistently do have a significant effect on the game (at least worry the defenders and have some threat) are LuaLua and CMS.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
If fit he should start, doubt it'll happen though

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Thoughts? Personally think he's been great since coming back
He is always great in my view,..... if Ulloa stays then that twosome will tear defences apart next year,... Ulloa playing the lone striker, and CMS in a free attacking role right across the frontline.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Good question but dare I say it - Ulloa

Thinking that. Alas, no. Derby were not all that strong in the middle of their defence and Keogh had an attack of panic at first. Buxton isn't large either. Wisdom looked their best defender.

Macca looked quite quick when he came on. So so did Will Hughes for them. I think the other players had burned themselves out by then. Substitutes are so important nowadays.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The good news is CMS appears to be as full of running after his injury as he was before. Respect to the boy for that. The bad news is the Ashley Barnes type chances are going begging at the rate of two or three a game because CMS, presumably under team orders, isn't even playing as a striker anymore. And yes I do know he came on and did the cross for Ulloa v Forest. And we are all truly grateful for that. But who's in the box for the natural born striker tap-ins?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
He is always great in my view,..... if Ulloa stays then that twosome will tear defences apart next year,... Ulloa playing the lone striker, and CMS in a free attacking role right across the frontline.

Why haven't we been doing that the last few games?!

Dec 29, 2011
Why haven't we been doing that the last few games?!

Because CMS hasn't been match fit, as stated by Oscar in a post-match interview. Playing two strikers would make Ulloa play better. He struggles on his own up front and is either outmuscled by defenders or gets penalised by the ref for trying to outmuscle them back.
Having a pacey forward who will make runs behind their back line means defenders can't just shield Ulloa out the game, as they have to worry about Mackail-Smith too.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Would love to see him play 90 minutes up front with Leo, he's looked really sharp in the last two games. Front three of Leo, CMS and Kaz for Sunday would show real intent. Unfortunately, as another poster has suggested, we seem to be shackled by a contractual need to play Lingard in every game.

Doe's anyone know for a fact ,if we have to start Lingard every game he's fit? I can't believe any manager worth his salt would allow another club to pick his team for him. If he was RVP in search of match fitness out on loan to a lower league club, maybe, but an under 21 striker, in a team at the top end of the championship, I'm dubious to say the least

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Start him or bring him on at half time if still level. looked good for the 10 or so minutes last night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here