Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MacDonald's of wines Jacobs Creek, Blossom Hill, Harry's etc

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
That reminds me of my time as a barman at the Hove Park Tavern c1987 and a young lad came in with his girlfriend and trying to impress asked for a glass of Le Piat D'or for her.(It was advertised on tv at the time as something glamorous).

I had to tell him we only had a house white which was standard for pubs at the time. The look of disappointment - felt really sorry for him in his quest to impress.

Le Piat D'or ... advertised as the wine drank by the French (total lies). By far the worst EVER has to be LAMBRUSCO??????

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I've drunk most of those brands at various times and, while not good, they're just sort of fine, which is pretty much the same as McDonalds.

I have only drunk two, truly awful bottles of wine. On the day I sat my final exam at University I, being an idiot, had booked in a meeting for some student stuff that afternoon. To celebrate my freedom I went to the student shop and bought a bottle simply labelled "Spanish Red" that I took to the meeting and drank. It was truly awful stuff, and absolutely the worst thing I have ever drunk by some margin.

The other was from the Co-Op on New Year's Eve, when they had cheap Prosecco on offer. God, that stuff was bloody awful.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I have never got into wine, but if pushed will always go for a red.

I cannot remember ever having a decent glass of white wine

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
needs some clarification, is this reds or white? because reds from those brands are pleasant, if simple, quaffable wines, far nicer than cheap French reds.

Maybe my palate is not suited to French reds but I would say that almost any country's cheapish reds are better than cheap French reds. Certainly Spanish, Portuguese, Chilean,Argentinian, Australian and South African reds are better. Not sure about Italian.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Maybe my palate is not suited to French reds but I would say that almost any country's cheapish reds are better than cheap French reds. Certainly Spanish, Portuguese, Chilean,Argentinian, Australian and South African reds are better. Not sure about Italian.

Cheap French red is usually paint stripper. They're trading on being "French" and thus hoping to hook in people who will think that "French" automatically = better. The best French wines are glorious, but they are also usually also more expensive than an equivalent quality (though different taste and structure) wine from many of those countries you mention.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Cheap French red is usually paint stripper. They're trading on being "French" and thus hoping to hook in people who will think that "French" automatically = better. The best French wines are glorious, but they are also usually also more expensive than an equivalent quality (though different taste and structure) wine from many of those countries you mention.

I think you've hit the nail on the head regarding my palate. I don't like the "dirty" acidic taste of the mid-priced French reds.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Never been a fan of Bordeaux red wines, they all taste like rain to me.

I've been drinking, and enjoying, some very nice full bodied Califonian Zinfandels of late, plus following that grape's heritage, some nice Italian Primitivos as well. I've also started drinking more Aussie reds, which i've pretty much neglected until a year or so ago.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Anyway, there's nothing wrong with a nice Kalimotxo.

Are we going to get a lot of these threads now we're a bunch of Premier League ponces? One on cheese next?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Has anyone ever drunk any of these makes?
I haven't had a Jacobs Creek for over 15 years, but it was alright when I did (red). I'm not particularly a fan of French red.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Are we going to get a lot of these threads now we're a bunch of Premier League ponces? One on cheese next?

The legendary Ken Livingstone Seagull is a world-class expert on cheese.

Personally, I'd like to see Pecorino di Pienza on sale in the North Stand concourse, to the accompaniment of a nice bottle of Brunello di Montalcino Riserva. With a table to sit at and consume these treasures, of course.

And a check table cloth.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I have much angst with wine, firstly I do not think I like it very much beyond the most accessible way to get an alcohol hit if eating at/with where wine is the only appropriate option.

Secondly I tend to only find it more palatable after a few pints, when it suddenly becomes quite moor'ish but can leave me with a hangover from hell.

I would love to like wine, preferably just a bottle at a time, I scour the supermarket aisles, looking sneeringly at the 5 quid a pop bottles but knowing that £7.00 - £10.00 bottles are likely to be no more than 'retail price points' to entice me into thinking they are of a higher standard but probably not or for that prezzie for a colleague that you couldnt ever buy the 5 quid bottle for anyway, so those £7.00 (reduced from £12.00 of course) I have bought have totally underwhelmed me.

I have ventured into £7-£10 range with varying success, but my thoughts are usually skewed depending on the company, the occasion or my pre-wine alcohol consumption but I think most of it has been pretty horrid.

I like the thought now and again to sit at home, crack open a bottle and sip a refreshing, cold wonderful white wine, but it has never happened, I am good drinker I enjoy it, nothing sinister just elevates most occasions into laughter and fun.

Any recommendations would be brilliant, really would !!

The legendary Ken Livingstone Seagull is a world-class expert on cheese.

Personally, I'd like to see Pecorino di Pienza on sale in the North Stand concourse, to the accompaniment of a nice bottle of Brunello di Montalcino Riserva. With a table to sit at and consume these treasures, of course.

And a check table cloth.

I forgot to mention that it is essential that the rennet used in the production of the pecorino is made from the stamens of wild artichokes, to achieve exactly the right degree of spiciness.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I used to think the whole wine thing was just snobbery and nonsense.

I then worked in Paris for a couple of years and one of the English guys I worked with was a total wine buff. A bunch of us would have a works dinner every week and he tried his best to explain all the differences but the amount of info he tried to depart was just BORING.

However after trying loads of different wines with different foods etc I have to say that it's not snobbery and nonsense. It's a crazy science and I should have listened to the wine buff.

Beyond restaurants, he made some decent money when buying wines at auction and hedging based on the vast amount of knowledge he had. That said he has cases of wine all over his house.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Any recommendations would be brilliant, really would !!

you need to provide a detail or 2 to help out. Do you prefer red or white? If red, do you like light and fruity styles or full bodied, bigger flavours? If white, then someone else can help!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here