Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] LV= County Championship Division One, Nottinghamshire v Sussex at Nottingham, Sep 15-18

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Sussex RR 5.40
Last 10 ovs 76/0 RR 7.60

Looks like a chase has been agreed for tomorrow.

Not so sure. Nottinghamshire are using their regular bowlers. It appears Sussex are setting the pace themselves.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Not so sure. Nottinghamshire are using their regular bowlers. It appears Sussex are setting the pace themselves.

All the bowlers used in this innings by Notts are their front line bowlers.
The wicket is a road, so very unlikely that a sniff of a run chase or sporting declaration will be made.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Sussex 220 ahead at what point or score should we look at declaring. I would suggest directly after lunch if we can score another 100 by then.

All the bowlers used in this innings by Notts are their front line bowlers.
The wicket is a road, so very unlikely that a sniff of a run chase or sporting declaration will be made.
I think they'll set a score, neither team can win the championship or be relegated so why not make a game of it. I'd be batting until lunch and trying to get at least 350 ahead if I was Joyce. In normal circumstances that would be too many, but the wicket seems to be playing well and Notts have nothing to lose by going for it.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
It is important to get the points for the draw against Notts, because a draw here and a win next week against Nortants could give Sussex 4th place in the CC.
Durham are away at Warks, they only win at Chester Le Street, so an 11 point draw and a full house against Northants would give us 4th place or even a tie for third place if we get the maximum next week.

The difference between third and fourth place is £51,000

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It is important to get the points for the draw against Notts, because a draw here and a win next week against Nortants could give Sussex 4th place in the CC.
Durham are away at Warks, they only win at Chester Le Street, so an 11 point draw and a full house against Northants would give us 4th place or even a tie for third place if we get the maximum next week.
We're in a pretty strong position though in this match, if we can score quickly tomorrow morning we could set up a win.

Put it this way, if I was the captain I'd be going for it knowing our place in the division was safe. I like a gamble!

Does a 4th place finish mean more prize money?

EDIT: Just seen your edit.

:thumbsup:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I dont disagree with you, but the pitch is batsmen friendly, we are scoring at 5.5 per over.
If we bat till lunch, scoring at the same rate, we will have a lead of about 360 ish
That would leave Notts, who have a very strong batting line up, 60 odd overs to score 360 @ 6 an over, which they wll fancy.
I think we will bat out to make the game safe for the draw points.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If they get close to the run rate by tea, we just put 9 fielders on the boundary and annoy the hell out of them.

Unless our batflids let everyone down.

were loose

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

The difference between third and fourth place is £51,000

They should introduce a 4 and a half place just for Sussex, that way we can achieve perfect mid table mediocrity.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Gale is in a bit of trouble, less so for 'Kolpak' but I’m not sure you can claim in any context telling someone to go back to their own country isn’t racist

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2014/content/current/story/781849.html

The only acceptable outcome is a deduction of 100 points form Gale's county.

The fight for second place is now on. Come on Sussex!

(Actually, I do believe that they COULD fairly argue that in the context of tenuous Kolpak registrations, the phrase 'go back to your own country' COULD be used without any racist implications. I'm not saying that is or is not the case here, as we don't know what Gale actually said.)

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Actually, I do believe that they COULD fairly argue that in the context of tenuous Kolpak registrations, the phrase 'go back to your own country' COULD be used without any racist implications. QUOTE]

I'm not sure

From the Guardian
The incident, towards stumps as Yorkshire were pushing for an innings win, came when Gale brought himself in to field close to Prince, who it is alleged to have told him to “**** off back to cover point”. Gale is then said to have responded by telling Prince to “**** off back to your own country, you Kolpak ****er”.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm not sure

From the Guardian
The incident, towards stumps as Yorkshire were pushing for an innings win, came when Gale brought himself in to field close to Prince, who it is alleged to have told him to “**** off back to cover point”. Gale is then said to have responded by telling Prince to “**** off back to your own country, you Kolpak ****er”.

Its not a pleasant exchange. You could argue that it was xenophobic rather than racial though. I guess Gale / Yorkshire's stance will (have to) be that it was a comment on the rights and wrongs of his eligibility to qualify as a non-overseas player...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here