Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Blonde hair, aged 30?

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
He's our new development coach, according to Gus. Big responsibility for the young lad. Obviously wants to get into coaching early. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I was in the, ahem, 'Legends Lounge' tonight & heard Gus mention him - but didn't have a bleedin' clue what he was goin' on about.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Luke Williams, age 15 months:-

LukeWilliams.jpg

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
so anyone got any, proper, details on him?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
0,,10433~8952936,00.jpg

Williams Appointed Development Coach
Posted on: Fri 06 Aug 2010

By Luke Nicoli

Luke Williams has been appointed Albion's new Development Squad coach.

William, 29, began his career in football as a schoolboy playing at Norwich City before moving to Bristol Rovers to complete his two-year apprentice - where he played alongside, and roomed with, Albion legend Bobby Zamora.

After turning his hand to coaching, Williams took on roles with Leyton Orient, West Ham United, The FA, and became a qualified A Licence coach before joining the Albion this week.

The Development Squad has been introduced this season to give the youngest pros in the squad a greater chance of making the transition into the first-team set-up.

They will play in all the club's reserve games and Sussex Senior Cup fixtures this season, while a number of friendly fixtures have also been pencilled in to ensure the players feature regularly throughout the campaign.

Manager Gus Poyet explained to seagulls.co.uk, "In the past, players were coming from the U18 set-up and were all of a sudden training with the first-team squad.

"Unfortunately, players at that age are not always ready for the demands of first-team football, in terms of their fitness, their physical attributes, their technique and their understanding. Young players also don't see enough of the football - something we need to address in this country for the long-term benefit of the national team.

"That's why the Development Squad has been introduced; we call them the 'in-between' squad - they are close to the first-team squad but will be working on specific things, both as an individual and as a group of players, that will give them a better opportunity of breaking into the senior set-up.

"At the moment, players at 18 turn professional and think they have made it. They have a squad number, a little money in their pockets, they think they can buy a car, they think they can relax a little.

"But I say 'no'. Only when you are training daily with the first-team and playing for the first-team have you got to that point in your career."

Williams will be working closely with the players on a day-to-day basis, with Charlie Oatway overseeing the team on a match day.

"The stats prove that the number of player turning pro at 18 who actually go on and make it into the first-team is very, very slim," added Charlie. "Hopefully the introduction of the Development Squad will help us push through more players - it was will certainly give them a much better opportunity.

"I don't think there are many, if any, clubs at our level doing this kind of thing and although these are early days, the players are really enjoying the experience.

"Luke, too, has really taken the bull by the horns. There were a number of candidates up for the position but he just clicked with the gaffer and proved to be his stand-out candidate.

"He's really settled in quickly and I'm sure he'll do well for us because he is very eager."

Williams added, "I'm excited to be here working with the club, mainly because I am motivated to coach the players to play the attractive style of football, like what Gus Poyet has brought to the senior side.

"I like his views on how the game should be played, and my aim is to coach that style into the young professionals so they can slot into the senior side when they are called upon by Gus.

"On a personal note, it's also great to be working with the likes of Charlie Oatway, Paul Watson, and Gary Hart who were all a key part of the Albion side that I used to watch during the successful years that Zamora played in."

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
29, seems to have had quite a bit of experience and got his A badge already, blimey

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports