Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Łukasz Fabiański

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Somehow I think there will be a number of clubs ahead of us in the queue. Actually, I doubt whether we would ever be in such a queue.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
An Arsenal supporting friend of mine refers to him as Flappyhandski.

That is all.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I'd love to, but if we couldn't afford to keep Koosh then what hope do we have of landing Fabianski?

What makes you think we couldn't afford to keep Koosh ? His contract was up anyway.
He was released more than likely because all he kept saying was that he wanted Premier League football next season.
But if he goes to a Premier League side it will be for very little wages granted more than we would give and he would be nothing more than a bench warmer for a team like West Brom , Sunderland or Villa etc.
He did a good enough job for us but I can't see too many tears being shed about his leaving.
Plenty of far better keepers than him out there.

Last edited:

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
I can't see too many tears being shed about his leaving. Plenty of far better keepers than him out there.

Plenty? Far better?

In this case, could you please name three far better keepers than Kuszczak, who could realistically come to Albion on a free transfer, and agree to play for lower wages? Because that, if I understood correctly, was the idea behind releasing Koosh: to get better quality for less money. Let's hear it, Baz - I know there's PLENTY of such keepers, truly a plethora, multitudinous seas of them, so you should have no trouble naming three, right?

Sorry for being an ars*hole, mate, but I just can't get my head around the fact how easily some people switched from "the best goalie we ever had" (80% of votes in a poll on NSC) to "good riddance, plenty of far better keepers there". How could that happen? Because of his lower form in the last couple of months? But England is a cradle of football, surely people in your country must realise that it is nothing extraordinary for a keeper to suffer from a bad run of form? Because he said he wanted to play in PL? But he also said that he would like to play there with Albion, and that he and his family are very happy in Brighton. So why this sudden switch? Beats me. I am completely and utterly baffled.

Anyway, coming back to the subject of this thread - Fabianski would be a good replacement: he is not far better than Tomek, but he is younger and hungry for first team football. He is also available on free transfer, and I'm quite sure he has realistic wage expectations.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sorry for being an ars*hole, mate, but I just can't get my head around the fact how easily some people switched from "the best goalie we ever had" (80% of votes in a poll on NSC) to "good riddance, plenty of far better keepers there". How could that happen?

:lol::lol: That's NSC summed up in a nutshell.

I must say that I think Fabianski's a bit out of our league - I'm sure he'd cost more more than Kuszczak but I'm happy to be pleasantly surprised, I think he's a decent keeper.

(BTW, Guy, thanks for your recommendation of The Radetsky March - on a thread some time ago. On your advice, I read it and thought it was fabulous, looking for more Roth now)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Plenty? Far better?

In this case, could you please name three far better keepers than Kuszczak, who could realistically come to Albion on a free transfer, and agree to play for lower wages? Because that, if I understood correctly, was the idea behind releasing Koosh: to get better quality for less money. Let's hear it, Baz - I know there's PLENTY of such keepers, truly a plethora, multitudinous seas of them, so you should have no trouble naming three, right?

Sorry for being an ars*hole, mate, but I just can't get my head around the fact how easily some people switched from "the best goalie we ever had" (80% of votes in a poll on NSC) to "good riddance, plenty of far better keepers there". How could that happen? Because of his lower form in the last couple of months? But England is a cradle of football, surely people in your country must realise that it is nothing extraordinary for a keeper to suffer from a bad run of form? Because he said he wanted to play in PL? But he also said that he would like to play there with Albion, and that he and his family are very happy in Brighton. So why this sudden switch? Beats me. I am completely and utterly baffled.

Most of this. For me Kuszczak wasn't the best goalie we ever had, however, with the exception of perhaps Kasper Schmeichel, were there really any better than him in our division last year?

Unless wages, it did seem a bizarre decision to release him. He should have been offered a contract at the very least and given the option of turning us down, sometimes family matters may weigh on a decision to stay or go.

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
BTW, Guy, thanks for your recommendation of The Radetsky March - on a thread some time ago. On your advice, I read it and thought it was fabulous, looking for more Roth now

I'm very happy to hear that. If you liked The Radetsky March, make sure you read The Emperor's Tomb, Gwylan.

One Teddy Maybank said:
Unless wages, it did seem a bizarre decision to release him. He should have been offered a contract at the very least and given the option of turning us down

That's exactly what I thought, a very strange decision.

One Teddy Maybank said:
sometimes family matters may weigh on a decision to stay or go.

Perhaps, but it seems unlikely. He stressed in many interviews how happy he and his family are in Brighton. Oh, well - it's one of those football mysteries I suppose. Maybe we'll find out one day what it was all about.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Perhaps, but it seems unlikely. He stressed in many interviews how happy he and his family are in Brighton. Oh, well - it's one of those football mysteries I suppose. Maybe we'll find out one day what it was all about.

Yes, that's what I mean (sorry), given how happy his family apparently was, he might have been prepared to stay for less or similar. Just give the man the option.

Just another seemingly clueless decision taken by the people responsible for the playing staff during 2013/14 for me.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Yes, that's what I mean (sorry), given how happy his family apparently was, he might have been prepared to stay for less or similar. Just give the man the option.

Just another seemingly clueless decision taken by the people responsible for the playing staff during 2013/14 for me.

So you sat in during the negotiations then?

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
It would be nice if we could actually find a keeper who could distribute the ball properly as well as keeping the ball out of the net.

Not to mention being able to catch a ball rather than electing to punch it away

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Plenty? Far better?

Anyway, coming back to the subject of this thread - Fabianski would be a good replacement: he is not far better than Tomek, but he is younger and hungry for first team football. He is also available on free transfer, and I'm quite sure he has realistic wage expectations.

Almunia for one is IMHO is a better keeper who's at Watford.
I never said he wasn't a good keeper either ????
He doesn't want to be there I'm sure you can see that is pantently obvious, nothing to do with us not being able to afford to keep him, which was actually the point I was answering to had you read it properly.
Why would we want to retain or fight to keep ANY player who doesn't actually want to play for us no matter how good he is ?
He may well be one of the better keepers in the Championship, but I will say again what's the point If he doesn't want to be there.
One player doesn't make a team I remember when Zamora left everyone had a nervous break down saying we will never ever see another player like him in an Albion shirt.
We will one day and have progressed a long way since then.
People's daft blind loyalty to one player baffles me sometimes. They don't make a whole team.
When the next keeper comes along we sign who is outstanding everyone will be saying, Koosh who ?????
He's gone , history, trot on, next please !!!!!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
So you sat in during the negotiations then?

Given that he's been given a 'free', that would indicate their hasn't been any.

If you compare it with the Bruno and Caldy situation, the club announced they have offered them a new contract.

Anything to the contrary would indicate an inconsistent approach by the club in terms of their media releases.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

If you compare it with the Bruno and Caldy situation, the club announced they have offered them a new contract.

Anything to the contrary would indicate an inconsistent approach by the club in terms of their media releases.

Wasn't the retained list announcement worded as 'plan to offer a deal' rather than 'have offered deals to', suggesting that no deals had actually been offered to any of them, but the club had and idea of who they were going to negotiate with.

Maybe there were casual or preliminary talks without an offer, and kuszczak (or his agents) made it clear they weren't interested in staying or at anything less than he was already on and the club decided they didn't want to pay that much now to keep him so agreed there was no point negotiating.

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
Almunia for one is IMHO is a better keeper who's at Watford.

Is he available on free transfer and willing to play for Albion for lower wages than Kuszczak did? And you did say "plenty, far better keepers", so I was just wondering who they were.

Phat Baz said:
He doesn't want to be there I'm sure you can see that is pantently obvious

It is far from obvious to me, but if (and it's a huge "if") that's the case, then you are, of course, right. No point trying to keep a player who doesn't want to be at the club.

Phat Baz said:
When the next keeper comes along we sign who is outstanding everyone will be saying, Koosh who ???

That would be the best case scenario, and I really hope it will happen as goalkeeper is an absolutely vital position, and can make a difference between mid-table finish and PL promotion. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed, but at the moment finding a better (never mind far better) keeper, for less money, on a free transfer, would seem to me like a magic trick.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

I wish everything was as black and white as you suggest.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Unless wages, it did seem a bizarre decision to release him. He should have been offered a contract at the very least and given the option of turning us down, sometimes family matters may weigh on a decision to stay or go.

one has to assume informally something was discussed and the club knew it was a long way from his expectations. or simply he believes he's going to get a Premiership 1 jersey (which i dont see as i cant think of a PL club in need of a keeper)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Perhaps but as Uncle C pointed out, we don't know what has gone on, and so can only go by what the club has stated about new contracts being offered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here