Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lukaku - Retrospective Action

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Without wishing to bring up the whole thing again – but merely for my own interest – what has officials getting into/not getting into games and them subsequently being cancelled got to do with Lukaku getting some kung-fu practice on Bong? I may have missed it somewhere along the way.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Personally, I hope the FA don't take action.

It's not going to affect the result, after all*.

* Also, he's in my fantasy team and I don't have any subs left this month.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Lineker on why it wasn't on Match of the Day on Saturday night.

"We didn’t see it at the time. We had 5 games to watch at 3pm. Wasn’t mentioned by a single Sunday newspaper. Only came to light after a few Brighton fans mentions on Twitter late on Saturday night. Certainly was not a decision to not show it. ��"

Daily Mail have gone to town on it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ed-news-Lukaku-miss-Manchester-derby-ban.html

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
I see in the daily mail link that Graham Poll said Duffy should've got a straight red as well but because he was booked for it, he can no longer receive further action.

However, this is the ref who gave 3 yellow cards to the same player in a world cup...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As a former referee, this is one reason why the game has trouble recruiting referees, particularly the young. Not enough support and backing from the county FAs.

I would say that in my experience they get more than enough support from County officials but that is not to say that they have always made the correct decision. I believe the shortage is down the general attitude of players and clubs towards them and authority in general and as you go higher up the ladder abuse from supporters and media come into the reckoning.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Clear picture of him back-kicking Bong in the paper none of you read,as well.Just underneath it is a picture with more relevance to us.Rajiv van La Parra grabbing Mane's face,and getting a red card,meaning he's out for Udders match with us!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Given the game has now passed and the goal and the result stands regardless, all a 3-match ban for Lukaku can do now is give an advantage to 3 other teams when they play a weakened Manchester United.

I would prefer a 1-match ban, to be implemented for the return fixture.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Given the game has now passed and the goal and the result stands regardless, all a 3-match ban for Lukaku can do now is give an advantage to 3 other teams when they play a weakened Manchester United.

I would prefer a 1-match ban, to be implemented for the return fixture.

That has always been true of any ban though.

I like your idea all the same - carrying (one match of the) ban over until the next time those two teams meet. Doesn't really work in the second half of a season, mind.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Personally, I hope the FA don't take action.

It's not going to affect the result, after all*.

* Also, he's in my fantasy team and I don't have any subs left this month.

THIS!!!! he is earning me a fortune in points....Aspelaquetta on the other hand can go a feck off!

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Dermot Gallagher “would be surprised” if Romelu Lukaku is handed a three-game ban after appearing to kick out at Brighton's Gaetan Bong.

Watch the incident here: skysports.tv/d9N9T9

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

I like your idea all the same - carrying (one match of the) ban over until the next time those two teams meet. Doesn't really work in the second half of a season, mind.

oooh I like that idea too, certainly as this particular incident, if spotted, would have changed the outcome of the game. There must be a way round this, like an additional game ban in the two teams aren't due to meet again.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Yes - I agree it wouldn't really work in the second half of the season. I guess if he does get a 3-match ban the saving grace for us is that he would miss Man City, Watford and Arsenal. But had it been West Brom, Palace and Swansea - for example, I would be really pissed off.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Dermot Gallagher “would be surprised” if Romelu Lukaku is handed a three-game ban after appearing to kick out at Brighton's Gaetan Bong.

Watch the incident here: skysports.tv/d9N9T9

However, Gallagher told Sky Sports News: "The act has to be one of violence or brutality. This appears to me to be one of petulance."

So it's ok to lash out in petulance ?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
However, Gallagher told Sky Sports News: "The act has to be one of violence or brutality. This appears to me to be one of petulance."

So it's ok to lash out in petulance ?

And kicking someone in the nuts isn't violence or brutality?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A ban for that? Really? The correct course of action would have been some competent officiating and a free kick to Albion at the time.

I'd save retrospective bans for dangerous play and deceiving officials. None of that in evidence here.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A ban for that? Really? The correct course of action would have been some competent officiating and a free kick to Albion at the time.

I'd save retrospective bans for dangerous play and deceiving officials. None of that in evidence here.

You don't think kicking somebody in the GONADS is 'dangerous'?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Quite. Bong didn't make an issue of it, so I assume no contact was made, although it was clearly attempted. I still believe no retrospective action will be taken.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here