Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

lowest Albion crowd

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I was at a game against West Brom at the Goldstone in the Full Member's Cup in 1985. I have an idea the crowd was only about 1100 (or was it 1800?). It was certainly small because that was the only time I won the draw they used to have and my winnings weren't much. We lost the game as well.

4,649. Lost 1 - 2.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
1,052 is the official attendance. and I woz one of them

Oh, and we conceded five:ohmy:

Confusion here with the Associate Members Cup when 2,003 turned out to see a 1 - 5 defeat v Millwall.Moralee did in fact score.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I was at the game against Lincoln at Gillingham played in October 1997. It was absolutely freezing & the stewards watched me change baby Emily in the stand before telling me I could have used the executive suite toilets:angry: The crowd that night was 1036 which at the time was the all time lowest ever crowd for an Albion first team game. In the following weeks it went down even further to 1025 against Barnet. So, as far as I am aware, 1025 is the lowest ever.

that is correct. my brother and i were there and we left feeling really blue. on the radio on the way home richard littlejohn paused for a moment from all the headlines about england playing to say brighton had played at "home" in front of just 1025 fans who now had to travel 70+ miles back to their town. He asked, seriously, if you were one of them, to call in and tell him why. he wasn't taking the piss, he knew our plight, and amongst all the armchair supporters boring in on the phone in about the national team he wanted to hear from real fans.

Those were really dark days and I look back now and say with pride "I was there". Days like that will be in my thoughts when we kick off at falmer. I did my bit to help save the club i love, as did many of my closest friends. and we can be very proud of that. we never deserted.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I remember being there that night, it was definitely bonfire night v Barnet. We sat next next to a baffled Ronnie Moore who was watching us ahead of our game with Rotherham I think. He couldn't believe the people who had come that night had bothered!

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Yep I remember the bonfire night game, everyone could have brought a sofa to sit on but it was still a bit of a laugh on the terrace even though we were shite, couldn't imagine it would be a barrel of laughs in an all seater stadium though.

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
remember being there that night, it was definitely bonfire night v Barnet. We sat next next to a baffled Ronnie Moore who was watching us ahead of our game with Rotherham I think. He couldn't believe the people who had come that night had bothered!

I was there with the wife and a mate and it looked like a lot less than 1025 in the ground but we reckoned that they wouldn't call it less than a thousand for "political" reasons. Poured with rain all the way there and all the way back as I remember - absolute low point for me:down:

nutter4149

Jan 14, 2005
what about the game against mansfield at the goldstone that most people boycotted (well until halftime when everyone came in through the east stand)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
what about the game against mansfield at the goldstone that most people boycotted (well until halftime when everyone came in through the east stand)

1,833 was the official attendace.

There were 88 in the North Stand, 400 Mansfield fans, and every season ticket holder had been included in that figure (which says something about how few season ticket holders there were).

The other 700 or so Brighton fans who went in evidently didn't join the boycott.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Those really low crowds were for midweek matches at Gillingham which often meant fans setting off straight after work, in rush hour traffic, and often arriving home near midnight.

Surprisingly, to have nearly 1000 making that midweek trip still compares quite well now with the occasional away games we have when are support is considered really good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here