Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lower league Pompey

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Absolutely typical of the Pompey fans views is this, from one of the links posted above:

after all the FA should be helping pompey big time, after all they got pompey in this mess with the F&PT, then we can all go from there, then BC wont have to put club into admim. Come on F.A Sort it out,

Staggering. Just....staggering.

Yes, Pompey, this is ALL the FA's fault, isn't it? Not Mandaric, or Redknapp, or Chainrai, or Gaydamak, or any of the other SHYSTERS you willingly allowed to control your club because you were blinded by the lights of success. And they wonder why other clubs aren't flocking to help them like they did to Plymouth, for example :facepalm:

Embarrassing, they really are.

Please don't forget a dishonourable mention for (the CEO) Lampitt, managers Cotterill and Appleton and (above all perhaps) the administrator, Andronikou who have continued to spend beyond their ability to pay despite all that went before. Add to that the fans who knew all along that they have been living beyond their means but write off their misfortunes as being a conspiracy against them. They appear the most likely club for some time to get exactly what they deserve and do I have sympathy? Do I hell :D

The only downside? One of their supporters was kind enough to work out how a Pompey-less table would look with all points gained against them deducted

....sc*m 51pts, West Ham 50pts, Blackpool 48pts, Brum 47, Cardiff 46, Boro 46, Reading 45, Burnley 44, Hull 43, Leeds 42, Brighton 42, Barnsley 39, Palace 38, Derby 38, Leicester 37, Watford 33, Peterboro 31, Ipswich 31, Bristol City 29, Millwall 26, Donny 24, Forest 24, Coventry 22. So no change from Watford down. Barnsley jump a couple of places, as do Palace Burnley and Blackpool (who jump to 3rd). Oh and it would put 'them' back on top.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Absolutely typical of the Pompey fans views is this, from one of the links posted above:

after all the FA should be helping pompey big time, after all they got pompey in this mess with the F&PT, then we can all go from there, then BC wont have to put club into admim. Come on F.A Sort it out,

Staggering. Just....staggering.

Yes, Pompey, this is ALL the FA's fault, isn't it? Not Mandaric, or Redknapp, or Chainrai, or Gaydamak, or any of the other SHYSTERS you willingly allowed to control your club because you were blinded by the lights of success. And they wonder why other clubs aren't flocking to help them like they did to Plymouth, for example :facepalm:

Embarrassing, they really are.

Willingly ? Not so sure about that Edna. They might be naive down in Pompey but I still maintain that there was feck all that the fans could do about any of the goings on down there. They could question the expenditure as much as they wanted...... cant see what difference that would have made.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Willingly ? Not so sure about that Edna. They might be naive down in Pompey but I still maintain that there was feck all that the fans could do about any of the goings on down there. They could question the expenditure as much as they wanted...... cant see what difference that would have made.

But they didn't question it and they are still not questioning it - simply repeating the same lame old mantra that it is someone else's fault; a conspiracy; and they are too important to not be rescued by the council/the government/the FA/the FL* (*delete to suit) - in fact anyone who can take responsibility except for themselves

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
But they didn't question it and they are still not questioning it - simply repeating the same lame old mantra that it is someone else's fault; a conspiracy; and they are too important to not be rescued by the council/the government/the FA/the FL* (*delete to suit) - in fact anyone who can take responsibility except for themselves

Two different issues here. Whether they should have acted in the past in creating a fuss about how much their club where spending as they marched to their cup final victory and European campaign and how they have acted since the debt has become known, going into administration and the subsequent struggle.
Is anyone seriously suggesting that they should have marched and demonstrated against their owners during there glory days because if they had they would have been the first fans ever to have done so. I cant remember us demonstrating outside the west stand when we were paying big wages out to our lads during the late seventies and early eighties which in some way contributed to our fall and vulnerability later on.
I`m not going to argue about how they are conducting themselves now because to be honest I think they should be trashing the place - if that is possible at Fratton Park - to get the FA further involved. What they can do without interested parties who have Pompeys real future at heart waiting in the wings though I don,t know.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Fair enough: by "you" I meant the club rather than the fans (just wrote that badly!). The fans seem to want to blame the FA for all this, when it's entirely down to PFC themselves.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
One thing I don't understand (well actually there's a lot of things) : how could they spend money when the Administrator was in charge ? I thought the point of an administrator was to try to get them back on track financially. Or had he finished with them before they spunked a load of cash out ?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I have an idea that could help PFC pay its bills-they should publish a book detailing how to avoid paying tax bills. There must be millions of us who'd love to learn how they've got away with it. Twice.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Latest update:

Conference call between HMRC & PFC going on right now

Administration looms but MP finally gets Pompey and HMRC talking - Pompey Past - The News

the world waits with baited breath to see if they can con their way out of it again

not that it will concern MP's whose sole interest is getting votes no matter what the cost (as long as someone else actually bears the cost that is)............

The financial crisis engulfing Portsmouth has reached Australia with the stricken Championship side owing $530,000 to feeder clubs Perth-based ECU Joondalup SC and NSW Premier League outfit Blacktown City. ......................... The two clubs have joined a long list of creditors as Pompey, which has crippling debts of $194 million, slips into administration for the second time in two years after failing to find a new backer. Should the clubs take their grievance to FIFA, the figure owed in training and compensation fees from six players, plus a cut of the transfer fee of Ryan Williams to Fulham last month, could rise to over $2 million as part of punitive measures on debtors imposed by the world governing body. Joondalup is owed $73,000 per player for Australian under-17 internationals Andy Higgins and Alex Grant and Middlesbrough star Rhys Williams’s younger brother Ryan. Not to mention 20 percent of the fee paid by Fulham for 18-year-old Ryan, believed to be around $90,000. Blacktown has been waiting impatiently for $220,000 in development fees for Billy Tsolovos, Jordan Fitzharris and under-17 international Patrick Antelmi, all of whom joined Portsmouth’s youth academy before turning professional. “It's disappointing to say the least. We entered into the agreements in good faith and we have been waiting a long time and we haven't received a cent," ECU Joondalup academy chairman Steve Wheatley said. “We are hoping to get our money because we budgeted a long time ago on using the cash to fund our new clubhouse and it if doesn't come through it presets a real problem to us. “The money is already three years overdue. We will survive but it will be a matter of surviving rather than pushing on.” Both clubs have advised Football Federation Australia of the situation and with the backing of the local governing body, both are willing to take the case to FIFA in pursuit of their claims. Should FIFA find in their favour the value of each player would be set at a punishing $430,000.

Last edited:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Global

Feb 1, 2012
As a Pompey fan I find it incredible that many of you think we willingly alllowed this to happen to our club. Maybe we didn't question it when we were 1st in the Prem and subsequently won the FA cup....but what fans would at that time? Do you seriously think Man City, QPR and Chelsea are 'questioning' whether they can afford it while actually living above their means?

Since then we have had a number of owners who have all contributed to our downfall and I know as a supporter it has been impossible to stop. Fair enough if you don't like us and want to see us disappear but it is very naive to think that we could have done anything to stop this debacle. I know many of you don't care but I obviously am extremely gutted about this situation.

Play up Pompey

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As a Pompey fan I find it incredible that many of you think we willingly alllowed this to happen to our club. Maybe we didn't question it when we were 1st in the Prem and subsequently won the FA cup....but what fans would at that time? Do you seriously think Man City, QPR and Chelsea are 'questioning' whether they can afford it while actually living above their means?

Since then we have had a number of owners who have all contributed to our downfall and I know as a supporter it has been impossible to stop. Fair enough if you don't like us and want to see us disappear but it is very naive to think that we could have done anything to stop this debacle. I know many of you don't care but I obviously am extremely gutted about this situation.

Play up Pompey

I think what people don't understand is why in the last 3-4 years there haven't been countless marches, protests, boycotts etc etc etc. It seems Pompey fans aren't really willing to do that much to save their club, which has clearly been mismanaged for years.

You must be able to see from the outside that as soon as you came out of admin the first time, it being admitted that you then subsequently signed Kitson and Lawrence (I think it was) on ridiculous wages, it was viewed incredibly dimly by the rest of the football world. Real kick in the face for the creditors, that.

Blaming the FA is UNBELIEVABLE. You should be THANKING them they're not dealing with you the way they did with Luton etc.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove

Play up Pompey

Think you will find vast majority of us do not want to see pompey going under. Wife and in laws all Southsea born and bred and I follow what's going on in the News. A lot of the more rational pompey fans i knew were equally disgusted that you were signing people like Kitson and Lawrence and paying them twenty grand a week whilst telling a lot of local businesses sorry we can't pay you the whole whack we owe you and you may have to go out of business. Pompey remain my number one disliked team but wanting them to go under....no! Means too much to too many people!

D

Deleted member 22389

Play up Pompey

When I saw you leap in to the premiership and started signing people like Crouch, Defoe, I thought lucky bastards, this must be costing Pompey a fortune.

A few years down the line, we now have our answer. Its absolutely terrible the way your club has been run, and hopefully something can get sorted. Seriously a majority of Brighton supporters would not want to see your club go out of business.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Oh and we haven't spent any money since AA has become the administrator for CSI.

except for signing Lawrence and Kitson on £20K a week each despite this being way above the self-agreed limits imposed under the CVA - Andronicou described it as a calculated gamble as I recall on getting immediate promotion back to the promised land and also agreed lengthy contracts for both.

and let's not forget the three players that Pompey failed to sell in January for fees which would have settled the tax bill - not explained yet but the manager was quoted as saying that he saw no point in selling players he could not replace with equal quality (no mention why Portsmouth are the only club in the league who have to soldier on with a reduced first team squad and cannot promote any of their academy players - the ones they owe several million A$ on perhaps? - like Brighton and many others have this, and every other, season).

No, other than those little faux pas you haven't done anything and the management (those who speak in public) and the fans are united in saying it was all someone else's fault.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Play up Pompey

Well, what are you doing about it? Given the constant array of goons that have been allowed to run your club into the ground surely you should have been on the FA and FL's case about the obvious flaws in their fit and proper persons test and at the very least calling them to account. Where are the protests? the boycotts? the campaigns? It takes hard graft for fans to help dig their club out of a mess like this, but it CAN be done. Looking from the outside your support has done very little to make common cause with other clubs in a similar predicaments.

Why are the likes of Lawrence and Kitson still on the wage bill when you clearly cannot afford to pay them. Get rid of the high earners, take a possible relegation on the chin and rally round a more fragile 'team' but more secure club and build up again.

I do not doubt that you are genuinely gutted, but your club has been the architect of it's own destruction and seems to suffer from an almost pathological denial of reality.

Global

Feb 1, 2012
I think what people don't understand is why in the last 3-4 years there haven't been countless marches, protests, boycotts etc etc etc. It seems Pompey fans aren't really willing to do that much to save their club, which has clearly been mismanaged for years.

You must be able to see from the outside that as soon as you came out of admin the first time, it being admitted that you then subsequently signed Kitson and Lawrence (I think it was) on ridiculous wages, it was viewed incredibly dimly by the rest of the football world. Real kick in the face for the creditors, that.

Blaming the FA is UNBELIEVABLE. You should be THANKING them they're not dealing with you the way they did with Luton etc.

The Pompey fans have been marching etc etc. We also have a very active Supporters trust fighting for us. When we last came out of admin we then got bought by CSI and we had no reason to believe that at the time they would turn out to be another bunch of shysters. You may believe that reading Pompey mongboards that we blame the FA but the majority of Pompey fans I know have never blamed them. You can however question the so called Fit and Proper tests run by the football league and the Premiership! But of course that is not solely to blame. The story at Pompey is so bloody complicated and I doubt we will ever truely get to the bottom of it. I am just sick of hearing from some quarters that the fans are partly to blame. Why am I to blame about a bunch of lowlifes ruining my club? I fear we will no longer exist and I think the football World will be slightly poorer for it. Many of my Pompey friends attended your 'fans' day years ago and I was proud of them for doing so. I would not wish this upon any club.
PUP

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The Pompey fans have been marching etc etc. We also have a very active Supporters trust fighting for us. When we last came out of admin we then got bought by CSI and we had no reason to believe that at the time they would turn out to be another bunch of shysters. You may believe that reading Pompey mongboards that we blame the FA but the majority of Pompey fans I know have never blamed them. You can however question the so called Fit and Proper tests run by the football league and the Premiership! But of course that is not solely to blame. The story at Pompey is so bloody complicated and I doubt we will ever truely get to the bottom of it. I am just sick of hearing from some quarters that the fans are partly to blame. Why am I to blame about a bunch of lowlifes ruining my club? I fear we will no longer exist and I think the football World will be slightly poorer for it. Many of my Pompey friends attended your 'fans' day years ago and I was proud of them for doing so. I would not wish this upon any club.
PUP

I haven't seen many boycotts of games, nor games being abandoned by sit in protests, etc? Doesn't feel like much is being done, not hearing from Pompey fans in the media at all.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Play up Pompey

Very upsetting for the fans, it pains me to think the FA have allowed a line of terrible owners in. Especially ones that make Mandaric look a saint. I hope the club can be saved, if so it may mean some painful years ahead, but I can assure you that most things would be acceptable over losing your ground-home, club, community base.

I hope it gets resolved positively.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here