Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lower half, mid table or promotion??

Far too early to predict. 5 days before the big kick off. Spanish Oscar knows who he wants to bring to the club so this week will be interesting. As usual a midfield general is needed. There were enough chances created to have won last night so a top ten finish should be expected.

deenomeet

ballbags
Apr 2, 2011
As an Ipswich fan ive got you down for 3rd. Youve pretty much got the same squad and i think Oscar Garcia will suss the champ out fairly quickly. I think Leicester will win it with Reading second. Im loving McCarthy's buisness in the close season and i honestly think Ipswich will finish top six. My top 6 for what its worth...

1.Leicester
2.Reading
3.Brighton
4.Leeds
5.Ipswich
6.Forest

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'd be happy with top 10 but if we get the playoffs then i'd be delighted...any better and we're in dreamland. If we don't do much this season then i won't be too worried - a season of transition.

Unlike in previous years, I think all the teams coming down from the Prem will have strong seasons, so along with Watford, Leicester, Forest, Bolton, Leeds, Boro and Charlton being very competitive, we could be pushed into midtable if we don't make the right signings to strengthen our current workmanlike midfield. And even if we do make those signings, it will be a hell of a scrap to make the top six, Poyet's success has bred a bit of overconfidence among many fans I reckon.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
As an Ipswich fan ive got you down for 3rd. Youve pretty much got the same squad and i think Oscar Garcia will suss the champ out fairly quickly. I think Leicester will win it with Reading second. Im loving McCarthy's buisness in the close season and i honestly think Ipswich will finish top six. My top 6 for what its worth...

1.Leicester
2.Reading
3.Brighton
4.Leeds
5.Ipswich
6.Forest

Leicester will not finish first.

I really struggle to see how people can possibly predict "promotion" when the squad has not been improved at all from last season. The key players we have lost are yet to be replaced. I can see us finishing between 8-14th and that would be a GOOD season. Oscar has come in late, it will take him until next season to have a proper shot at it.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
I really struggle to see how people can possibly predict "promotion" when the squad has not been improved at all from last season. The key players we have lost are yet to be replaced. I can see us finishing between 8-14th and that would be a GOOD season. Oscar has come in late, it will take him until next season to have a proper shot at it.

What makes you think finishing 8th-14th place will be a good season? Ulloa, Upson for a whole season and Augestien replacing Dicker are all an improvement on last season.
Personally I think we'll win it this year. Gus had alot to turn around when he first came, any manager in the world would of needed 2 seasons to get us up from the state we were in. With no experience of managment before, Gus did a good a job. This time, Oscar has come in with plenty of experience to take over a team who finished 4th last season whilst he finished off Champions of his domestic league in Israel. Oscar also likes to play in a similar way to how we were playing last year, except with a bit more attacking edge. This appointment is clearly with intent of promotion this coming season.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

We are about 2 players short (counting kemy) of a squad that finished 4th last season. Form wise in the 2nd half of the season we were 2nd I believe.

I think Spanish dave will come back so its really only bridge that needs replacing which will be tough.

We really should finish in the play offs again ...

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
We are about 2 players short (counting kemy) of a squad that finished 4th last season. Form wise in the 2nd half of the season we were 2nd I believe.

I think Spanish dave will come back so its really only bridge that needs replacing which will be tough.

We really should finish in the play offs again ...

Is this new left back supposed to be any good? (forgotten his name?)

Maccabist

Jul 20, 2013
What makes you think finishing 8th-14th place will be a good season? Ulloa, Upson for a whole season and Augestien replacing Dicker are all an improvement on last season.
Personally I think we'll win it this year. Gus had alot to turn around when he first came, any manager in the world would of needed 2 seasons to get us up from the state we were in. With no experience of managment before, Gus did a good a job. This time, Oscar has come in with plenty of experience to take over a team who finished 4th last season whilst he finished off Champions of his domestic league in Israel. Oscar also likes to play in a similar way to how we were playing last year, except with a bit more attacking edge. This appointment is clearly with intent of promotion this coming season.
Just to point out - Oscar finished 1st with a side that finished 22 points behind the champions in 2012, and 20 points behind them in 2011.
He took the league by 10 points, and won it with 4 games in hand (it was 13 points then).

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Football virtually never works like that. If Oscar gets us promotion it will be a truly amazing achievement, and it will be a shame if some don't see it as such because they had such high expectations at the start.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Haven't the foggiest. No idea if this guy is capable of managing in the english leagues yet, no idea if we're going to sign some stars or if Bridcutt will leave, little idea on the relative strength of our opposition. Could be anywhere from top to bottom.

Sensible stuff

I would say that this season should and will be transitional. Gus gone after a long, successful spell in charge, one of the older squads in the League that needs a little rebuilding plus the late start to pre-season for Oscar. I also believe FFP will impact on us going and getting players like Bridge, Dave and Vicente. I question whether Oscar has the experience to take us up at first ask. Gus, after 4 seasons in English football didn't despite the fact that squad should have won the League (maybe Oscar will prove to have the ability to do so).

I just feel we should use this season as one to strengthen for next year. We are short in midfield big time. Okay people say 2 signings will do it but time and time again it is the SQUAD not the first 11 that in the end makes the difference. At the moment I don't see the depth in midfield to challenge for promotion.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I think the club will be praying for promotion. The Amex effect will soon start to wain, even more so if we were to have a poor season. Lower crowds would seriously dent any future investment in the playing staff with FFP thus making future promotion even harder.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I think we will make a slowish start and it will depend on how successfully and how quickly Oscar's tactics and the team's ability to implement them are assimilated by the players. This is going to be an even more physical division this year and a land of the giants. We will continue to try and play differently to the vast majority of the other teams. Our ability to play our way through the battlefields will be crucial. The acquisition of two or three more skilful, quick, strong players is essential to our progress. If all the above happens - playoffs. If not - mid table.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here