Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Louis Theroux tonight

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I'm not a huge fan of Louis Theroux, he has such fantastic opportunities with all manner or weird and downright odd people, but never actually asks anything, I agree that he does let some of the people "hang themselves" but a few more intelligent questions every now and then would make it far more interesting from my perspective...He should have done some homework and questioned the old grandpa about scripture as he wanted, sadly he missed that opportunity....

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
smudge said:
I'd love to see their church getting picketed. Imagine the fun you could have with those placards.

"Gramps drops anchor in poo bay" :eek:

I was just wondering if people ever picket the family funerals?

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
tedebear said:
I'm not a huge fan of Louis Theroux, he has such fantastic opportunities with all manner or weird and downright odd people, but never actually asks anything, I agree that he does let some of the people "hang themselves" but a few more intelligent questions every now and then would make it far more interesting from my perspective...He should have done some homework and questioned the old grandpa about scripture as he wanted, sadly he missed that opportunity....

but that's the whole point of his style surely, that he doesn't ask a lot of questions. I think what he does is a lot more difficult. To be THAT patient.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
alan partridge said:
but that's the whole point of his style surely, that he doesn't ask a lot of questions. I think what he does is a lot more difficult. To be THAT patient.

Possibly that is his style, but in my opinion he comes across as gutless. The blonde idiot who had the facts wrong about who killed Jesus, Theroux just let him waffle on...I'd have questioned that a bit more, and Gramps should have been grilled a little more....He needs to grow some balls, not everyone has access to people like these and I really have no better understanding of their ideas than before the show....

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Gully said:
How is it being a wanker to expose organisations like religious cults/right wing groups/Ku Klux Klan for what they really are, groups of people with views considered odd by the majority, living on the margins and brainwashing their children.

Thats because they are easy targets. I wonder if he would be brave enough to go a long to say some orthodox jews or some nice radical moslems and take the piss. I doubt it very much.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Gramps was questioned a little harder near the end but unsurprisingly he side stepped or refused to answer the questions stating that they were beneath him and not worth his time. True megalomaniac, control-freak behaviour.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
magoo said:
Gramps was questioned a little harder near the end but unsurprisingly he side stepped or refused to answer the questions stating that they were beneath him and not worth his time. True megalomaniac, control-freak behaviour.

Not too different to our politicians then :lolol:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I used to work in the safe building as Louis Theroux, seemed like a nice bloke. Always said hello to me as we passed on the stairs or while getting the post.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
magoo said:
indeed and all religious leaders, dictators in the world.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

So why dosent louis have a go at them. Think these on the fringe nutters are a bit pointless really. Would love to see Louis following George around the Whitehouse :D

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
tedebear said:
Possibly that is his style, but in my opinion he comes across as gutless. The blonde idiot who had the facts wrong about who killed Jesus, Theroux just let him waffle on...I'd have questioned that a bit more, and Gramps should have been grilled a little more....He needs to grow some balls, not everyone has access to people like these and I really have no better understanding of their ideas than before the show....

But surely the bloke has to get a whole programmes worth of content out of his subjects, if he starts asking them things they arent going to like, all guns blazing, theyd just shut up shop and tell him where to go. It would be totally counter productive, and youd learn nothing at all.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Albion Dan said:
But surely the bloke has to get a whole programmes worth of content out of his subjects, if he starts asking them things they arent going to like, all guns blazing, theyd just shut up shop and tell him where to go. It would be totally counter productive, and youd learn nothing at all.

I got the impression that Louis got mugged last night. They knew exactly what he was about and just used him to get their views across. Thanks for the advert Louis. Thought he was very poor to be honest

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
coventrygull said:
I got the impression that Louis got mugged last night. They knew exactly what he was about and just used him to get their views across. Thanks for the advert Louis. Thought he was very poor to be honest

What?
So you think all across Britain people were watching that programmer going "i tell you what, they've got a point. i might join them." or do you think that ,as a very good journalist, he stayed as neutral as he could and let the subjects talk for themselves and let the viewers make up their own mind?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Albion Dan said:

Spot on.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
keaton said:
What?
So you think all across Britain people were watching that programmer going "i tell you what, they've got a point. i might join them." or do you think that ,as a very good journalist, he stayed as neutral as he could and let the subjects talk for themselves and let the viewers make up their own mind?

Small organisations like this feed on publicity good or bad. Yes there might be people out there in the UK that think they have a point. Look how many Brits were in the Branch Davidians.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Albion Dan said:

Precisely. He would just alienate his subjects straight away, and achieve nothing.

His journalistic technique is to be diplomatic and thus gain his subjects trust. This way he gets far more honesty and forthright opinions from them.

He did this perfectly when he met that family of neo-nazis. He held back throughout the entire episode and then BANG.. at the end he completely exposed that horrible racist bitch (the one who got her blonde girls to sing racist songs) for what she was. He advised her to get therapy and told her how she brainwashed. It was outstanding journalism.

There is no one as good as Theroux at doing this.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
coventrygull said:
Thats because they are easy targets. I wonder if he would be brave enough to go a long to say some orthodox jews or some nice radical moslems and take the piss. I doubt it very much.

I don't understand your point.

Your problem with Theoroux appears to be that he exposes poor little racist or homophobic bigots? Nope, still don't understand what your point is. Please clarify.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
coventrygull said:
Small organisations like this feed on publicity good or bad. Yes there might be people out there in the UK that think they have a point. Look how many Brits were in the Branch Davidians.

Surely anyone moronic enough to go along with anything those people said last night would do so regardless of Louis Theroux's documentary-making style...

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Chesney Christ said:
Precisely. He would just alienate his subjects straight away, and achieve nothing.

His journalistic technique is to be diplomatic and thus gain his subjects trust. This way he gets far more honesty and forthright opinions from them.

He did this perfectly when he met that family of neo-nazis. He held back throughout the entire episode and then BANG.. at the end he completely exposed that horrible racist bitch (the one who got her blonde girls to sing racist songs) for what she was. He advised her to get therapy and told her how she brainwashed. It was outstanding journalism.

There is no one as good as Theroux at doing this.

No it wasn't. All he does is attack peoples sincerely held beliefs. Brainwashing. Shock, we are all brainwashed in someways.

As i said would love to see the guy go round the whitehouse, vatican etc feeling all smug and oh so liberal

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here