Lost the passion?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As for the constant harping on about Barber's 'Premier League Ready' comment, it was one comment in one interview with Naylor when we were in the playoffs. It was contrasting the portakabin existence and shoestring operations at Withdean to the setup at the Amex. People have been using it as a stick to beat him with ever since..
I'm constantly amazing by the amount of knickers that get twisted and moist over this comment.

If nothing else, it makes sound business sense to be prepared for a further step up.
Not doing so would be an abject failure of the board and chief exec and would be a massive stick for the fans to justifiably beat him with.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think the club is inherently very decent and tries to do every damn thing decently. for that, Total respect. Club is the good guys

But enough of the club.

Playing-side-wise the club is SHOCKING. They act like a League One club, and are far more likely to gravitate towards League One than the Premier League, unless there's one almighty SHAKE-UP!

It is far more than just this sniping, even having a go at the Chief Executive for helping out with REMF.

The crux of the matter though is that it appears many including those who did one hell of a lot to campaign for the the Amex do not appear to like what they got which I find very strange as it was bleeding obvious to me what was going to happen once the Amex was built.

Seems to me the club is still the benign entity we hoped it would be. The chairman is a through-and-through Albion fan, the chief executive actively engages with the fans and is happy to have a bucket of iced water tipped over his head in front on the North Stand, the club as a whole appears ready and willing to take on board any suggestions by the fanbase to improve the atmosphere/catering/transport etc. Of COURSE it's more impersonal and corporate, it has to be, due to the numbers involved, but on the whole I think the current set-up has made a pretty decent transition from the Withdean era. It's still our club, and although we all enjoy the occasional grumble, I think we all know deep down that things could be a whole lot worse.

I find myself in full agreement with you chaps.

Actually, it's not so much the recoiling from the modern Albion that annoys me - God knows the opinion of The Henfield One deserves more respect than most - it's the apparent re-writing of history that grates. Let's be clear, it was once a "local club for local people" with bang average crowds (ok, maybe slightly better). But we've ALWAYS had bad experiences watching football at the Albion, it's just that a bad experience these days is different from what it used to mean. These days, a bad experience is losing in the Championship in front of 20,000 whilst watching loanees who don't give a shit, having shelled out thirty sheets. In times gone by, a bad experience meant losing just as abjectly in front of 7,000 in League One, in a shockingly shit stadium with no atmosphere, sometimes with a few crap loanees, and sometimes having to watch your back in case a few visiting cowards decided to jump you.

As far as the club is concerned right now, the jury is out in my opinion. I want to be convinced that Hyypia and Burke were the right people to have been binned off. If we recruit well in the summer, I think that'll answer the question. And please, can we NOT have this ridiculous over-reliance on loan players?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I'm constantly amazing by the amount of knickers that get twisted and moist over this comment.

If nothing else, it makes sound business sense to be prepared for a further step up.
Not doing so would be an abject failure of the board and chief exec and would be a massive stick for the fans to justifiably beat him with.
I think this comment by Barber was picked up by some fans of other clubs/rivals, who interpreted this comment as being rather premature and arrogant. I think the timing of the statement was very unfortunate to say the least as it proved.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
I just wish Tony or Paul would come out and apologise for f***ing up our season with some really bad decisions earlier in the season.

TB

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I just wish Tony or Paul would come out and apologise for f***ing up our season with some really bad decisions earlier in the season.

TB
I thought that then it occurred to me IF they do, it wouldn't be till after this season has ended or the beginning of the next.

I can't see the club sticking the boot in to the players, while those deemed responsible are still being paid.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint

TB

i don't want an apology just a good team to watch. clear out the dead wood, buy some exciting players and score some goals - that would be better than any apology

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

TB

I don't want an apology just an acknowledgement of how badly THEY got it wrong, not Burke, not Hyppia, not the players but the pair of them. I want to then hear how they are going to put it right without a load of spin about how difficult everything is and how disadvantaged we are.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Actually, it's not so much the recoiling from the modern Albion that annoys me - God knows the opinion of The Henfield One deserves more respect than most - it's the apparent re-writing of history that grates. Let's be clear, it was once a "local club for local people" with bang average crowds (ok, maybe slightly better). But we've ALWAYS had bad experiences watching football at the Albion, it's just that a bad experience these days is different from what it used to mean. These days, a bad experience is losing in the Championship in front of 20,000 whilst watching loanees who don't give a shit, having shelled out thirty sheets. In times gone by, a bad experience meant losing just as abjectly in front of 7,000 in League One, in a shockingly shit stadium with no atmosphere, sometimes with a few crap loanees, and sometimes having to watch your back in case a few visiting cowards decided to jump you.

As far as the club is concerned right now, the jury is out in my opinion. I want to be convinced that Hyypia and Burke were the right people to have been binned off. If we recruit well in the summer, I think that'll answer the question. And please, can we NOT have this ridiculous over-reliance on loan players?

Thank you Simster. Saved me from searching for the right quotes and from having to type out my own thoughts.

EDIT: And to just add my own twopennyworth - we never see threads like this when we win three games in a row, then it's all "Can we make the play-offs?"

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Yup, yup and yup thrice.

Have things really improved under Hughton compared to Hyppia? Not sure, we won a couple of matches at the start and then same old same old.

Not arsed either way about the loan player issue. Upson, Bridge, Ward, Hammond, Andrews were all loanees and did a decent job IMO. This season the ones we have picked up, regardless of being loans or full signings, have been at most meh and at worst Ledesma.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
IMO, it's a series of knockdowns from last season. Ulloa was a huge source of positivity at the club. He had real quality, the kids wanted to be him, he had a great song, but more, he always gave 100% and looked like he really gave a shit. I can support a team with that man involved.

Seeing Oscar go bananas at Forest- that too. Despite his general demeanor, it showed us that he cared. Ignoring the fact that we got tanked by Derby. I think losing OG was a real blow to many - What's wrong with our club?

Genuine doubt starts to creep in for the first time.. (for many)

The performances under Hyypia and his general lack of personality were the biggest two "passion killers" if you ask me. We've got these crap loan players, this crap manager, this crap atmosphere and all the while the club (crap?) is carrying on churning out the PR like we're running away with the league. It all just felt a bit "we don't really know what we're doing"..

Takling so long to sack Hyypia was perhaps the first real concrete example of bad management. No ifs/buts, that was horrendous management. We were going to go down unless something was done. So now, we've got nothing to cheer about and seemingly, the men right at the top didn't even know how to do their jobs. Disbelief.

That point, I don't think the club could have done anything to piss people off more. The first half of that season could have been a long-term disaster for us. But thankfully, it looked like they realised after Hyypia left. Did Bloom play the ultimate gamble by not sacking him just to save a few quid? Maybe.

But good, understandable decisions were made from that point on. Burke gone. Chris Hughton in. That to me shows that they get it. They screwed up royally, but they get it.

So now, like it or not. CH's job is to keep us up with the pile of **** we've got playing in the stripes. We're not going to play well, we're not going to have passion. Because they're not our players and they're crap. I think CH decided he could keep us up with these players and I think he's been using this half of the season to see who will cut it and what he needs. We're trying to not lose rather than win games. Because above all, no matter how the fans feel. We MUST stay up. Prio #1. Sod everything else.

If we're sitting here midway through next season and we're still lumbered with loan signings, playing crap football and in 18th position, then I'll understand people who question Bloom and say they've had enough. But the negative feelings now are as a result of that terrible summer. We've got to wade through a river of turd for another month because somebody dropped us in it a year ago.

I'm going to be honest here. It is for exactly the way this thread has turned out that I stopped going to REMF matches about 4 years ago.

To my mind, it has just become a vehicle for certain people to show how bloody marvelous they are.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
IMO, it's a series of knockdowns from last season. Ulloa was a huge source of positivity at the club. He had real quality, the kids wanted to be him, he had a great song, but more, he always gave 100% and looked like he really gave a shit. I can support a team with that man involved.

Seeing Oscar go bananas at Forest- that too. Despite his general demeanor, it showed us that he cared. Ignoring the fact that we got tanked by Derby. I think losing OG was a real blow to many - What's wrong with our club?

The performances under Hyypia and his general lack of personality were the biggest two "passion killers" if you ask me. We've got these crap loan players, this crap manager, this crap atmosphere and all the while the club (crap?) is carrying on churning out the PR like we're running away with the league. It all just felt a bit "we don't really know what we're doing"..

Takling so long to sack Hyypia was perhaps the first real concrete example of bad management. No ifs/buts, that was horrendous management. We were going to go down unless something was done. So now, we've got nothing to cheer about and seemingly, the men right at the top didn't even know how to do their jobs. Disbelief.

That point, I don't think the club could have done anything to piss people off more. The first half of that season could have been a long-term disaster for us. But thankfully, it looked like they realised after Hyypia left. Did Bloom play the ultimate gamble by not sacking him just to save a few quid? Maybe.

But good, understandable decisions were made from that point on. Burke gone. Chris Hughton in. That to me shows that they get it. They screwed up royally, but they get it.

So now, like it or not. CH's job is to keep us up with the pile of **** we've got playing in the stripes. We're not going to play well, we're not going to have passion. Because they're not our players and they're crap. I think CH decided he could keep us up with these players and I think he's been using this half of the season to see who will cut it and what he needs. We're trying to not lose rather than win games. Because above all, no matter how the fans feel. We MUST stay up. Prio #1. Sod everything else.

If we're sitting here midway through next season and we're still lumbered with loan signings, playing crap football and in 18th position, then I'll understand people who question Bloom and say they've had enough. But the negative feelings now are as a result of that terrible summer. We've got to wade through a river of turd for another month because somebody dropped us in it a year ago.
Excellent post. Agree entirely.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing

Is exactly how I see it too.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I don't want an apology just an acknowledgement of how badly THEY got it wrong, not Burke, not Hyppia, not the players but the pair of them. I want to then hear how they are going to put it right without a load of spin about how difficult everything is and how disadvantaged we are.

Spot on. I'd say most of my lack of belief at the moment is down to the spin & lack of personal responsibility we've heard for 18 months plus from these two

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Spot on. I'd say most of my lack of belief at the moment is down to the spin & lack of personal responsibility we've heard for 18 months plus from these two

If you had to pick one of these two -- no spin, personal responsibility, and 14th place, or spun like a top, corporate shucking-and-jiving and fifth place -- which one would you take?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
passion surely can't be maintained at a high level constantly, unless you are bit dolally?

This. Completely.

It was horribly noticeable at the 2014 World Cup that the only time the vast majority of folks who'd travelled presumably halfway round the world to attend the tournament displayed any kind of 'passion' was when they realised the telly cameras were on them. And the time-lag before they realised was genuinely cringe-making. Before that they'd been twiddling with their phones. Ditto any televised game. Ditto Fanzone.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Excellent post sir.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports