Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Losing Weight

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Anybody else find that weight loss tends to flatline over the Summer months then picks up again once the Summer's over?

Probably because you don't have to expend much energy to keep warm in the summer! :cool:

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
dont eat after 5pm.

dont eat many carbs - one only needs a few oats in the morning for the whole day.

eat avos, nuts, and bananas for healthy fat.

then go crazy on the fruit and veg.....smoothies and soups will get weight down.

if need grain go buckwheat or quinoa or brown rice - but not dinner time.

do some excersise that gets your heart racing - 15 mins a day is good to start with.

DONT eat bad fat foods, loadsa carbs or loads a protien - one only needs a small handful of protien a day.

dont eat any sugar or any diet / sweetener stuff....the diet stuff makes one hungrier and is full of chemical crud.

get on some vitamins or spiralina/maca super food stuff for energy too.

job done :) good luck.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I hate running so I did body weight exercises to lose some flab and continue to stay in shape. Squats, push ups, lunges, burpees, planks etc. I started with a routine from http://www.nerdfitness.com/
Lots of good advice there.

Had a good read of this website last night has some great advice, thank you for posting it. Am in good shape but will give the HIIT training a go along with the Paleo diet. Sounds my kind of thing. Just need to lower my body fat and maintain my weight, which I am happy with. Won't be hard to stick to as it's pretty close to how I eat anyway. Just need to ditch the cereal.

Jun 24, 2010
Goring
Go see Alex at Corals Gym in Hove... Unfortunately Drop Dead Fred is right, but a bit of professional help will assist. Eat less and exercise more. A good tip is to write down EVERYTHING you eat and drink for a while. The most problems arise from snacking and alcohol. Good luck with it though. Although I have lapsed a little over the last year, when I started on a new "regime" I lost 3 stone in 4 months and have not looked back.

Can't be arsed to see if this is fixtures, but writing everything down really works. I used the iPhone app called my fitness pal and managed to lose two stone in three months. Because it wasn't a crash diet I have pretty much kept it off - including the odd pie on a match day ;-)

Good luck mate

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Its pointless starving yourself, because the second you start eating again the weight will shoot straight back on.

No it's not. The day after I fast, I don't eat double the amount of food. Therefore I am eating less food over the two days.

I agree that Cambridge diet-style fasting is rubbish, but that is prolonged calorie restriction, as opposed to intermittent fasting.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I'm a fatty, and need to lose weight.

BMI is 28, and trust me none of that is down to muscle.

I want to know your personal experiences in how you lost weight, the best techniques you've come across ect, as I generally have no idea and am a amateur in the subject. (Before a few months back, I hadn't weighed my self in over 2 years).

So yeah, I just need tips basically, cheers.

OK, fortune favours the brave. Visit a local children's hospice. Make a commitment to them to fund raise a weight loss programme. You will need no more motivation.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
This business of not eating after 5-6pm is a load of bollocks - your body doesn't care when it gets the calories. The only difference it may make is that it will eliminate snacking of unhealthy food in front of the telly.

Many people go to the gym or run after work; so to not get a nutritious meal down you after, just because it's gone 6, wouldn't be healthy.

Intermittent fasting seems to be the latest big thing; however that doesn't mean it's the only way. I tried it for a week to see if I could do it and hated the way it affected my moods and work. find eating 5-6 times a day keeps my energy levels much higher and keeps me in very good shape.

Fat loss is all down to calories in<calories out. However your intake is much easier to control if you eat the right type of food. For example, higher fibre food such as veg and whole grains will satisfy your hunger much more than processed carbs; eg white bread and pasta.

One more thing on bread: Eat only wholemeal bread (and pasta). Most bread on sale in the supermarket is not wholemeal, it's just white bread with seeds or malt in it to make it look brown and healthy - hardly anyone I give advice to about nutrition realises this. Check the ingredients list if you're unsure. The first ingredient should say Wholemeal Flour, not Wheat Flour or just Flour.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
No it's not. The day after I fast, I don't eat double the amount of food. Therefore I am eating less food over the two days.

I agree that Cambridge diet-style fasting is rubbish, but that is prolonged calorie restriction, as opposed to intermittent fasting.

Wrong! Your body will think it's starving so will absorb and store more fat from the food even though the total intake is less

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea

Ive done sports nutrition mate, I know that when you simply starve yourself (i.e you dont eat or only have one small meal a day) you put it back on. Your body goes into survival mode and stores all your fat and burns muscle. Think are you going to starve yourself for the rest of your life? In fact I was really ill in hospital couple years ago, and didnt eat for 2 weeks, essentially it was like staving myself, I lost about 2 stone, the second I started eating again the weight soon came back on with in a few weeks.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Wrong! Your body will think it's starving so will absorb and store more fat from the food even though the total intake is less

How can it be wrong when I said "I don't eat double the amount of food. Therefore I am eating less food over the two days." and you agree that "the total intake is less"? I never said anything about storing fat.

Pedantic maybe, but there must be something in it because I know lots of people, including myself, who have lost weight through IF. To be honest, I didn't do it for the weight loss, it was the possibility of reducing risk of dementia, prostate cancer and other nasties that interested me the most. Also the fact that I feel more alert, have more energy and can concentrate more. For me, the weight loss is just a bonus, and I'm on it for life now, I reckon.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Bit of an urban myth in this context.

The body will try to sustain and regulate any energy/calorie deficit.

But if you have a deficit of say 1000 whether that be fasting or through activity, 500 calories intake after that can only give you 500 calorie/energy consumption leaving you still with the 500 calorie deficit.

Ultimately diet fads prefer to offer a 'magic bullet' generally a play on the metabolism and although this is relevant just use any means whether its a diet plan, low carbs, high protein, whatever to modify your calorie intake.

If you expend more calories than you consume you will get weight loss, I have never seen an earthquake survivor rescued after a week suddenly heavier than before the quake no matter which continent or irrespective of their previous diet.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Ive done sports nutrition mate, I know that when you simply starve yourself (i.e you dont eat or only have one small meal a day) you put it back on. Your body goes into survival mode and stores all your fat and burns muscle. Think are you going to starve yourself for the rest of your life? In fact I was really ill in hospital couple years ago, and didnt eat for 2 weeks, essentially it was like staving myself, I lost about 2 stone, the second I started eating again the weight soon came back on with in a few weeks.

ok 'mate'.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
glad you understand 'pal'

Blimey, how patronising are you? I 'understand' your opinion, just didn't want to get into a long drawn out debate about the pros/cons of diets.

If you can't see the difference between 5-2 and starving yourself for two weeks, that's your lookout. As I've said before, weight loss wasn't my primary aim, just another bonus. I guess I'll have to wait until all that weight comes back on, eh?

Even thought I haven't 'done' sports science, I'm quite happy sticking to what I know, and doing what I do.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Atkins works brilliantly for weight, but it will kill you (coronary) eventually. You won't make it to 60.. Its no long term solution. A mate of mine did it - brilliant. When he stopped (his CV risk factors rocketed) all the weight came back on. Wrong habit, wrong solution.

Interestingly the Atkins you all remember has changed a lot in the past few years. The carb starve is well established among medics to improve blood sugar and blood chemistry. ( it's recommended in pre op cardiac patients particularly). If your mate just went straight back on the cake as soon as he lost the weight , well, that's not the fault of Atkins.

The Dukan diet is Atkins by another name and so is the south beach diet. It's completely untrue to suggest that reducing carbohydrate intake is likely to cause early death. I can pretty much guarantee I won't get diabetes or coronary artery disease by virtually eliminating starch and sugar from my diet. Anyway. The OPhas a poor BMI and wants to sort himself out. Atkins ( done sensibly) is the clear, clear winner in terms of results. The 5:2 diet works as well I understand...it just didn't suit me.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Blimey, how patronising are you? I 'understand' your opinion, just didn't want to get into a long drawn out debate about the pros/cons of diets.

If you can't see the difference between 5-2 and starving yourself for two weeks, that's your lookout. As I've said before, weight loss wasn't my primary aim, just another bonus. I guess I'll have to wait until all that weight comes back on, eh?

Even thought I haven't 'done' sports science, I'm quite happy sticking to what I know, and doing what I do.

I was just repaying the 'mate' you shot over to Me. I wasnt patronizing you in My posts. Glad it works for you.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Interestingly the Atkins you all remember has changed a lot in the past few years. The carb starve is well established among medics to improve blood sugar and blood chemistry. ( it's recommended in pre op cardiac patients particularly). If your mate just went straight back on the cake as soon as he lost the weight , well, that's not the fault of Atkins.

The Dukan diet is Atkins by another name and so is the south beach diet. It's completely untrue to suggest that reducing carbohydrate intake is likely to cause early death. I can pretty much guarantee I won't get diabetes or coronary artery disease by virtually eliminating starch and sugar from my diet. Anyway. The OPhas a poor BMI and wants to sort himself out. Atkins ( done sensibly) is the clear, clear winner in terms of results. The 5:2 diet works as well I understand...it just didn't suit me.

Interesting programme a few years ago on BBC Horizon series.

It took 4 diet programmes including the Atkins and monitored each recipient.

The diet that proved most successful happened to be the Atkins diet, but not necessarily for the reasons most associate with it.

Firstly the 'magic bullet' of ketosis, where you wee out calories, this was proved to be false.

It concluded that increased protein consumption might act as a appetite suppressant, just makes you feel fuller for longer.

So it seemed that most Atkins dieters would talk about what they are allowed to eat but actually are not eating it.

So it goes back to controlled calorie intake remains the key.

Just found a link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3416637.stm

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
I'm a fatty, and need to lose weight.

BMI is 28, and trust me none of that is down to muscle.

I want to know your personal experiences in how you lost weight, the best techniques you've come across ect, as I generally have no idea and am a amateur in the subject. (Before a few months back, I hadn't weighed my self in over 2 years).

So yeah, I just need tips basically, cheers.

Lighterlife - just great.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here