Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Losing Weight

Dancing Sock

Dec 8, 2012
Brighton
Just a couple of important tips on the above highlighted:

Nutella, Cake & Coffee = Sugar/Fat
Caffeine raises blood sugar, which will raise insulin levels to convert the extra sugars into body fat. Include the sugars from the Nutella and cake and you're doing yourself in.
Don't starve yourself as your body will go into 'starvation/survival' mode and retain all fats from your next day/s meals, which completely defeats your objective

Maximum 5 lbs a week!?!?
There's absolutely 0% chance of that happening. 5 lbs is 2.2kg. That's roughly a 17,500 calorie DEFECIT per week. This will NEVER happen, especially when you're jogging twice a week and consuming that much sugar & coffee. Aim for a steady 1 lbs per week.

I don't mean the above to sound harsh, but you'll only feel defeated when you don't hit your targets if you don't take the above into account.
Set long term goals. Not a short term starvation 'fix' as they never last.

Told you I was an amateur!

All that food was before I started really, I've been drink green tea and that's it, with the odd piece of fruit today.

One of my friends said he was losing 4 pounds a week and that's about as far as he could go without doing serious damage. It's doable to lose way more than a lb a week, surely?!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Told you I was an amateur!

All that food was before I started really, I've been drink green tea and that's it, with the odd piece of fruit today.

One of my friends said he was losing 4 pounds a week and that's about as far as he could go without doing serious damage. It's doable to lose way more than a lb a week, surely?!

Green tea is really good. I take a green tea pill every morning and it basically flushes you out. One pill and a cup of green tea and I'm pissing every 45 minutes for the rest of the day! Gets rid of water retention and helps your metabolism. Stick with it.

It is definitely possible to lose more than 1lb per week but as stated, when jogging twice a week and eating more than your average allowance of sugar + heaps of coffee, I wouldn't back you to lose more than 1lb, personally.
To lose >1lb of fat per week healthily , up your exercise frequency and/or intensity as well as cutting out unnecessary sugars and fats.
Try and make it a long term project rather than wanting to smash 4lbs per week. Set a reasonable target or as I said before, you'll feel defeated having not met your goal which equals relapse.

Remember, everything I'm posting is what works for me. Every person/body is different so what works for me might not work for you and vice-versa.
Just cut out the sugars, they are the biggest fu*kers in the weight loss world!!

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Run for approx an hour 3 or 4 times a week
Cut out bread from diet (this will also lead to less butter/spreads/cheese etc)
I haven't followed these rules for a couple of years and have now become a fatty
Follow these rules and all will be good

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Run for approx an hour 3 or 4 times a week
Cut out bread from diet (this will also lead to less butter/spreads/cheese etc)
I haven't followed these rules for a couple of years and have now become a fatty
Follow these rules and all will be good

Dancing Sock

Dec 8, 2012
Brighton
Green tea is really good. I take a green tea pill every morning and it basically flushes you out. One pill and a cup of green tea and I'm pissing every 45 minutes for the rest of the day! Gets rid of water retention and helps your metabolism. Stick with it.

It is definitely possible to lose more than 1lb per week but as stated, when jogging twice a week and eating more than your average allowance of sugar + heaps of coffee, I wouldn't back you to lose more than 1lb, personally.
To lose >1lb of fat per week healthily , up your exercise frequency and/or intensity as well as cutting out unnecessary sugars and fats.
Try and make it a long term project rather than wanting to smash 4lbs per week. Set a reasonable target or as I said before, you'll feel defeated having not met your goal which equals relapse.

Remember, everything I'm posting is what works for me. Every person/body is different so what works for me might not work for you and vice-versa.
Just cut out the sugars, they are the biggest fu*kers in the weight loss world!!

One thing wrong with green tea is that I just think it's f*cking sickening, tastes so shit, I usually have to wait until it's warm then gulp it down whilst holding my nose.

It will be a slow start, as I'm struggling to break certain habits (like the odd cube of chocolate when feeling a tad peckish), but I'm not eating crisps, not drinking fizzy drinks and I'm only going to have my traditional chicken and chips once a week rather than pretty much every night like I was doing.

1/2 pounds a week is too slow though! I just wanna be fit and healthy right now! I've decided to go for 3 pounds a week though, which is just under a stone a month, think that's realistic enough.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
One thing wrong with green tea is that I just think it's f*cking sickening, tastes so shit, I usually have to wait until it's warm then gulp it down whilst holding my nose.

It will be a slow start, as I'm struggling to break certain habits (like the odd cube of chocolate when feeling a tad peckish), but I'm not eating crisps, not drinking fizzy drinks and I'm only going to have my traditional chicken and chips once a week rather than pretty much every night like I was doing.

1/2 pounds a week is too slow though! I just wanna be fit and healthy right now! I've decided to go for 3 pounds a week though, which is just under a stone a month, think that's realistic enough.

Have a look at Holland & Barretts for Green Tea pills. They work just as well. If not, most Supermarkets do Vanilla Green Tea which again, is a better alternative as Green Tea does taste like rabid dogs piss.
It's good you've got a plan, good luck!

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
Do yourself a massive favour and get the App 'My Fitness Pal' it's free I believe!

Then a add everything you eat in to it! If you are not sure what your calorie count is, this will help you! It has most foods so no excuse knowing where to cut down!

Secondly, get the App 'Couch 2 5k' which will start getting you mobile!

Dieting without exercise will NOT work! You may shift the timber initially but trust me, it won't stay off!

Good luck

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
N ot a fan of the fasting...From my experiences in the past the best thing to do is to eat 4-5 smaller proper meals a day. Spread the food out over a day, keeping it healthy of course, and mix in my exercise. Not to long ago I simply started eating better and spreading it out (as opposed to the one meal I was eating a day) and I went down nearly a stone in 2 weeks.....granted im a large guy so weight tends to melt off at first :lolol: Cut out the booze as well...though that's easier said than done usually :lol:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Seriously, the biggest motivation if you're trying to shift weight is knowing you've already done it. That moment you weigh yourself & found your efforts haven't been in vain & you've lost even a couple of pounds is what drives you to stick with it next week.

Conversely, if you aim too high & don't hit your target, then it's demotivating, and too easy to think you can't be arsed. Even when you do start losing weight, you will have weeks when it plateaus and you don't shed any pounds, so try not to get hung up on feeling like you have to lose, say, 3lbs when 2 would be fine. Aim for 2, then anything above that is a bonus.

:thumbsup:

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
I'm not sure going straight into a fasting regime is ideal (although I'm no doctor) but I would have thought aim for 1500 - 1800 calories a day to get your body used to fewer calories and after a while you will find the occasional day of 600 - 800 calories becomes more achievable. You should notice a fairly quick loss of weight even on 1500 calories a day.

Green tea is an acquired taste - Clipper has a strong flavour but Tetley green tea doesn't so you might want to try different ones.

The NHS podcast 'Couch to 5k' is a handy aid if you are going to start running as it builds things slowly and you'll more easily hit weekly targets.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm a complete pig and a wine guzzler. About 8 years ago I cut out all giant bags of Doritos, microwave Kormas, pizza, fry ups and the like and switched to what I call vegetable dung and fish. The vegetable dung is loads of tomatoes and garlic in a pot with a little rapeseed or coconut oil (avoid olive oil as it converts to polyunsaturates at high temperature - i.e., becomes lard). Then make it taste nice with a mix of veg and herbs and spices. I like salt so I use samphire (a salty vegetable). Celery (tons of) and spinach. Caraway seeds, cardamom, mild chillies . . . a smidge of marjoram, sage (too much and it tastes like stuffing). Beetroot and asparagus have amusing visual and olfactory effects . . . . later on . . . . ahem. A pot of that keeps for a week in the fridge. All organic, of course. Take a clean ladle and a sample can be reheated and converted to curry, chilli or just different dung with different spices.

For the fish, I fry in oil (see above) salmon (most often) or cod. I flake it on a bowl of dung. Total magic. I have one on the hob as I type.

I skip lunch 3 times a week. If I have lunch at work its tuna sandwiches. Creature of habit. No lunch at weekends.

The last bit is the booze. My rule is never dring before 6.00 in the evening. I stick to red wine, but it piles on the pounds. I did January with no alcohol this year and lost 5 kilos (11 pounds). Occasional abstinence has the added effect of making me feel virtuous. If you can't quit the drink for 2 weeks from time to time then you are either very uncommitted or an alcoholic. Its probably a good idea to find out which.

As well as keeping down to 12.5 stone (I'm six foot bang on), the dodgy fasting blood sugar I had 10 years ago has reversed to normal. And the blood pressure is 125/65 - pretty decent for a 55 year old.

Any exercise you can manage is a boon, not just for weight but also for the cardiovascular system. I cycle to and from the station, each end, every day, with my fold-up (cheapo Brompton clone). Can't be arsed with the gym (too busy). If I can't cycle (dodgy knee, hip and back) from time to time it adds 500g a day to my gut and arse.

The trick is to make it fun. Find stuff to eat you like, move about a bit more, and cut out completely and for ever the crisps, sweets, sugar in the coffee. As several have said, repay any sin with a day of restraint. Good luck with it.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Eat little and often to boast your metabolism, make sure you dont miss breakfast. Fasting is rubbish for your health, your body starts eating your muscle not fat, it also puts strain on your heart.

Dont eat fried food or fatty foods (not rocket science lol), trying boiling instead. Eat fish and vegetables, and try cut out carbs in the evening.

Join a gym, may help if you can get an eager gym buddy who will push you, I highly recommend going down a boxing club thats the best way to lose weight through exercise imo.

Hope that helps abit.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
ps - if you are under 45 and eat little roughage you will probably be fine for now, but carry on and you'll get diverticulosis/itis. Excruciating stabbing pains in the lower abdomen first thing in the morning. Mad dash for the lavs. Big problem if someone is there already. I had to take a dump in the back garden once. Further visits to the lavs far too often a day. Japanese flag. I completely reversed that by eating my vegetable dung. If I miss 2 or 3 days and eating post restaurant nosh (ahem) while away at a meeting it starts to come back . . . . a grumbling initially but I know what's ahead so re-embrace my dung as as soon as I get home. Travelling is rubbish, basically.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Atkins. Guaranteed to lose a stone in two weeks. Exercise is a red herring. The amount of running about you have to do for a few piddling calories is ludicrous. And there's nothing less appealing than the sight of a sweaty lardarse padding round the streets at dawn.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Atkins. Guaranteed to lose a stone in two weeks. Exercise is a red herring. The amount of running about you have to do for a few piddling calories is ludicrous. And there's nothing less appealing than the sight of a sweaty lardarse padding round the streets at dawn.

Atkins diet is bollocks, if you want to die or look unhealthy its a good idea though... Exercise is what keeps you physically fit as well as the losing weight factor, its also essential in toning your body, otherwise your probably end up with loads of lose skin.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Atkins diet is bollocks, if you want to die or look unhealthy its a good idea though... Exercise is what keeps you physically fit as well as the losing weight factor, its also essential in toning your body, otherwise your probably end up with loads of lose skin.

Works for me mate. I look fine thanks. Exercise is a good idea for general health but it is useless for losing serious weight.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Atkins works brilliantly for weight, but it will kill you (coronary) eventually. You won't make it to 60.. Its no long term solution. A mate of mine did it - brilliant. When he stopped (his CV risk factors rocketed) all the weight came back on. Wrong habit, wrong solution.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Works for me mate. I look fine thanks. Exercise is a good idea for general health but it is useless for losing serious weight.

Simply eating more low carb foods through out your diet is fine, but cutting them out complete or regimentally following the Atkins is dangerous, especially if youre following it for a long period of time. You only have to Google it and see top doctors and surgeons tell you of its dangers. Each to their own though, glad it works for you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here