Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Losing Weight

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Same here. It can be quite stressful worrying about calories and the like all day. I eat what I consider a healthy and varied diet for most of the week, run 4 times a week and if I feel my diet has been a bit on the wild side I stick a few more miles on my distance or run faster.

Same for me. Counter a bad eating day with a higher intensity fitness day.
What sort of times/distances are you running for fitness?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Have lost 19 kilos over a year. I haven't been on a diet. I've simply stopped snacking and started running. Three meals a day and a run four times a week. Have built up from 1 mile to a general 10 miler. It's worked and it means I don't have to go without food I like (apart from the crisps and biscuits).

Is running an option for the OP? It takes time and can be bloody tedious.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There are different sorts of carbs though I believe. So compare a sweet potato to a spud. Both have carbs but of a completely different sort and have very different effects on your weight. But the wider point is that even food that you think should be good for you can be a bit sneaky. And even when you eat seems to determine if food is better or worse for a weight loss regime. That's why I didn't bother plotting calories etc. Just keep track of what you eat - read well around the subject - and you'll find what works for you.

Interesting , short article on carbs - http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...5-carbs-20120125_1_carb-grains-glycemic-index

Oh, I've got no issue with the stuff I eat. I probably have 10-15 of my '5 a day' most days for example. I was just highlighting those who talk about eating no/less carbs that it's not as simple as they may think.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Not sure what that's for - I did eat a load of other stuff too, the highlight being this bad boy salad for dinner featuring loads of baby spinach, butternut, red onion, mushrooms, peppers, asparagus and feta.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373381706.692750.jpg

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Oh, I've got no issue with the stuff I eat. I probably have 10-15 of my '5 a day' most days for example. I was just highlighting those who talk about eating no/less carbs that it's not as simple as they may think.

Yep - so I thought the link might be useful. I never doubted that you're a food God Bozza!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yep - so I thought the link might be useful. I never doubted that you're a food God Bozza!

Don't get me wrong, I can be an absolute trougher if I allow myself to, and I have. Like others on this thread, I'm putting that right currently.

Nothing faddy though - largely sensible food and more exercise. Nothing is off limits though, if I fancy it, and it's all sustainable for the long term*, which is the important thing, I think.

(* - apart from booze where I'm taking it very easy - I've had one drink in the last 5 and a half weeks. That will be remedied at a cider festival with Nail-z this coming Friday.)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not sure what that's for - I did eat a load of other stuff too, the highlight being this bad boy salad for dinner featuring loads of baby spinach, butternut, red onion, mushrooms, peppers, asparagus and feta.

View attachment 44603

Yum. Whilst I am not veggie myself I do have a number of meat free meals and love stuff like this. Raw red onion can liven up any salad.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Same for me. Counter a bad eating day with a higher intensity fitness day.
What sort of times/distances are you running for fitness?

I typically run two lots of 8 miles at 8 minute miles, a 4 mile tempo run with the aim of 7 minute miles although currently not fit enough to do this and a long distance plod anything between 8 to 13 miles at 9 minute miles (when I am fit I do this quicker though..say 7-8 min miles). Due to holidays and other stuff I'm not as fit as usual and have not run for 3 weeks so my long distance will be 8 this week. I will be up to 13 in 5 weeks time.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not saying this as a boast (hardly seems a boast considering Herr's rather more impressive post above) but as encouragement to others who struggle with weight and fitness.

I just ran 8.5 miles. Even a month ago or so I wouldn't have dreamed of that length. About a year ago I remember running 3.1m and that being utterly shattering and furthest I could run without collapsing.

If you're trying to get into jogging/cardio - stick with it, add just a little bit more each time and you'll be amazed at what your body can do.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
How's everyone doing? The myfitnesspal has been an absolute revelation for me, would highly, highly recommend it for those who are willing to stick in what they eat, it's nice and easy, keeps tabs on your regular foods and produces some handy graphs regarding the type of calories you're consuming.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Had my three month weigh in today directly after a week on cricket tour with all limits removed (five days of cricket teas, beer, chips, cooked brekkie etc). Weight still down on last month (muscle up a tad and fat % down a notch) but less impressive than it has been. Back in the straps now and all moving in the right direction.

Have to seriously get moving with my running though because I have a 10K in mid-September and really am not a runner. I'm using (and loving) MapMyRun as a way of tracking distance and times on my phone.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I did a 10 miler on Monday with no problems. Will be back up to 13 in 3 weeks.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
my fitnesspal has changed the way I think about food......and slowly the weight is going down.

All about awareness and being sensible....plus lots of fitness stuff.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
my fitnesspal has changed the way I think about food......and slowly the weight is going down.

All about awareness and being sensible....plus lots of fitness stuff.

Good stuff. It's almost completely cut out my snacking, being aware of how many calories I have left per day. That along with jogging has meant losing over a stone and a half in about 2 months.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Mellotron, - spot-on

I can't eat crisps, sweets and cakes any more- because it has become like a game of avoiding
the traps and pitfalls......and no way are those little peskies gonna ruin my plan! :) rather
eat an apple or banana.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It does amuse me when I see a load of blokes chatting about weigh loss, snacking and cakes. :thumbsup:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It does amuse me when I see a load of blokes chatting about weigh loss, snacking and cakes. :thumbsup:

I caught myself with a straight face using the word "calorific" the other day. Ugh.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Weight had crept up and for over a year could never lose more than a couple of pounds then i tried the Dr Micheal Mosley Fast Diet, you choose two days a week to follow the diet, not a fast in fact you have breakfast and an evening meal on the so called fasting days,within a month had shed 10lbs and i am now maintaining my reduced weight by having a fast day once a week,there is also a Fast diet recipe book with 150 calorie controlled meals which can be used on any day of the week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here