Lorry crashes into Christmas Market Berlin.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

larus

Why do these threads always end up with the same old users questioning whether certain ethnicity backgrounds regard them as British or not?

The issue in Berlin is a result of war, not where your parents are from.

So, you're making statements based on what?

What if the terrorist was from Syria?
How would doing this act in Germany, a country which does not act outside it's own borders, possibly be related to war?

What sick and twisted link would lead to that? Again, I don't know where he is from, not do you.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Why bother, when the facts are going to be produced quickly.

Isn't 9 dead, x injured, memories of France, enough news for you, for the moment?
Why do you need to add guesswork into the equation?

Edit - Post #108 says it much better than I do.

One would like to believe this to be the case. However, as pointed out on this thread the German authorities have form in trying to
suppress what you are referring to as 'facts.' One of the benefits of living in a democracy is the ability to challenge the authorities rather than meekly accepting their version of 'truth.'

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I'm sure every European country is doing everything in their power. For all we know the security forces might have stopped dozens of attempts like this previously but these terrorist b@stards only need to be lucky once. It really is a bloody miracle that the UK has not had a huge incident like this for over 10 years given the numbers of radicalised scum that must be walking free.

Our security forces got very skilled at counter insurgency/terrorism during the conflict in Northern Ireland.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
So, you're making statements based on what?

What if the terrorist was from Syria?
How would doing this act in Germany, a country which does not act outside it's own borders, possibly be related to war?

What sick and twisted link would lead to that? Again, I don't know where he is from, not do you.

It's a suspected terror attack. Nearly every news station is reporting it.

I'm not guessing where he's from? What statement have I made?

Angela Merkel has been very good towards refugees. Complete guess work but It might be something to do with that? :facepalm:

Last edited:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Our security forces got very skilled at counter insurgency/terrorism during the conflict in Northern Ireland.

Very accurate. This sort of attack is pretty much impossible to prevent though. All it needs is someone to steal a lorry and drive it at any group of people - amazed it hasn't happened somewhere like Brighton on the main road next to the beach in the summer. Scary to think.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Very accurate. This sort of attack is pretty much impossible to prevent though. All it needs is someone to steal a lorry and drive it at any group of people - amazed it hasn't happened somewhere like Brighton on the main road next to the beach in the summer. Scary to think.

These attacks are impossible to prevent in a free society

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

It can happen anywhere. There were ISIS members caught even in Ibiza last summer. Just imagine the damage they could've done there!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ry-police-propaganda-extremists-a7380846.html

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm sure every European country is doing everything in their power. For all we know the security forces might have stopped dozens of attempts like this previously but these terrorist b@stards only need to be lucky once. It really is a bloody miracle that the UK has not had a huge incident like this for over 10 years given the numbers of radicalised scum that must be walking free.

A few things work in our favour here, notwithstanding the fact that, as you say, the terrorists only need to be lucky once.

(1) It's a lot harder to get hold of firearms in the UK, specifically the automatic sort favoured by the Paris attackers, due to (a) our very tight gun legislation and (b) the physical border created by the English Channel

(2) The security services are actually, I believe, pretty good at what they do. Perhaps contrary to what the media would have you believe at times.

(3) The UK infrastructure: most major public buildings and spaces already have physical barriers or defences around them designed to reduce the threat of vehicle-borne IEDs. A legacy of the days when the IRA were the significant threat, albeit using rather different tactics. It makes a Nice or- now- Berlin style attack less likely, if far from impossible.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I won't even bother saying "let's avoid speculation" as inevitably, we're already some way down that road.

But casual/ outright racism, xenophobia or unpleasant religious bigotry won't be tolerated.
Speculation that this might - MIGHT - be an Islamic terrorist attack is just that, speculation. Given the recent history of similar incidents, it is not unreasonable.

And a marked lack of sympathy for the radical extreme Muslim cause, as advocated by ISIS, Al Qaeda (sp?) etc., is not racist, xenophobic or bigotry, casual or otherwise. Just saying, like.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I believe the common denominator was the fact they were muslims.........but of course I stand to be corrected.

Am I allowed to say that these days ?
No... and don't mention the wawer either.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I will say it if I want.... I dislike intensely, the casual barbarism of Islamic terrorists, I dislike their racist and bigoted views of western culture and religions... I dislike the head in the sand views of campaign groups and politicians who create the social parameters that mean we cannot stand up and say enough is enough.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
As a progressive Muslim, I am saddened to know about this incident and the assassination of that Russian amb in Turkey. People with the same ideology as me are taking more and more of the heat generated by these cxnts, and I'm sure Malaysia is up next (our cops have been cracking down these sick twunts, but I'm afraid a lot of them still roam freely). Condolences

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
As a progressive Muslim, I am saddened to know about this incident and the assassination of that Russian amb in Turkey. People with the same ideology as me are taking more and more of the heat generated by these cxnts, and I'm sure Malaysia is up next (our cops have been cracking down these sick twunts, but I'm afraid a lot of them still roam freely). Condolences

Is there a large increase of Muslims becoming atheists or non practising Muslims?

This is what has happened in the western world when religions have been immersed in scandals or crimes.

People either lost their faith or walked away from the churches.

Is this a big thing in the Islamic world?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
From the BBC:

Security sources cited by the German news agency DPA said that the driver of the truck was an asylum seeker from Afghanistan or Pakistan who had arrived in Germany in February.

German politicians have been unwilling to call the deadly crash a terrorist attack at this stage, while many of the details remain unverified or unclear.

Interior Minister Mr de Maiziere told ARD television: "I don't want to use the word 'attack' yet at the moment, although many things speak for it.

"There is a psychological effect in the whole country of the choice of words here, and we want to be very, very cautious and operate close to the actual investigation results, not with speculation."

Leaders who place more importance on appearing to say/do the right thing whilst using the excuse of 'fanning flames' or offending sensitivities at the expense of speaking plain truth don't deserve to lead.

One wonders how long it will be before he and other politicians do call it an attack.

Everyone else is.

Last edited:

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
From the BBC:

Security sources cited by the German news agency DPA said that the driver of the truck was an asylum seeker from Afghanistan or Pakistan who had arrived in Germany in February.

German politicians have been unwilling to call the deadly crash a terrorist attack at this stage, while many of the details remain unverified or unclear.

Interior Minister Mr de Maiziere told ARD television: "I don't want to use the word 'attack' yet at the moment, although many things speak for it.

"There is a psychological effect in the whole country of the choice of words here, and we want to be very, very cautious and operate close to the actual investigation results, not with speculation."

Leaders who place more importance on appearing to say/do the right thing whilst using the excuse of 'fanning flames' or offending sensitivities at the expense of speaking plain truth don't deserve to lead.

One wonders how long it will be before he and other politicians do call it an attack.

Everyone else is.

That's where the problem lies. To scared to call it what it is.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One would like to believe this to be the case. However, as pointed out on this thread the German authorities have form in trying to
suppress what you are referring to as 'facts.' One of the benefits of living in a democracy is the ability to challenge the authorities rather than meekly accepting their version of 'truth.'

It's not that.
There's all the time in the world to keep unpicking, reviewing and reassessing a story.
Even those who don't hold the BBC in such high esteem must still appreciate it's desire to self-flagellate 20+ years down the line.

I'm questioning the need for speculation within 2 hours of such a horrific event.

Having your thoughts with the German nation but wanting to hear rumour, misinformation or downright lies about the, Chechen or maybe Pakistani, assailants within 2 hours of the horror, doesn't make sense to me.

There's days of news, a story to be pieced together, why start with something that might induce an apology, minutes, hours, days later.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
It's not that.
There's all the time in the world to keep unpicking, reviewing and reassessing a story.
Even those who don't hold the BBC in such high esteem must still appreciate it's desire to self-flagellate 20+ years down the line.

I'm questioning the need for speculation within 2 hours of such a horrific event.

Having your thoughts with the German nation but wanting to hear rumour, misinformation or downright lies about the, Chechen or maybe Pakistani, assailants within 2 hours of the horror, doesn't make sense to me.

There's days of news, a story to be pieced together, why start with something that might induce an apology, minutes, hours, days later.

I think the misinformation will come from the German authorities. An asylum seeker. Not good news for Merkel. It will be new years eve all over again

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports