Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lorry crashes into Christmas Market Berlin.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
A manhunt is under way across Europe's Schengen states after prosecutors identified a suspect in the lorry attack on a Berlin Christmas market.
A warrant was issued at midnight. Details were not given but media reports say the suspect is a Tunisian man named only as Anis A, born in 1992.
His residence permit was found in the cab of the lorry.
He may have been injured in a struggle with the driver, found dead in the cab. The attack claimed 12 lives in all.
Some 150 police officers are said to be involved in searches in the Emmerich area of North Rhine-Westphalia, western Germany, where the suspect's permit was issued.
Chancellor Angela Merkel has met her security cabinet to discuss the investigation into the attack.

The Schengen area covers most EU states plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.
The Tunisian suspect is also known to use false names, security sources told German media and Reuters news agency.
His name was given using a German convention whereby suspects are identified by their first name and initial.
He is reported to have travelled to Italy in 2012 and then on to Germany in 2015 where he applied for asylum and was granted temporary leave to stay in April of this year.

He is said to be known to police and was briefly detained in August with fake Italian identity documents.
Sueddeutsche Zeitung reports that the suspect moved within the circle of an Islamist preacher, Ahmad Abdelazziz A, known as Abu Walaa, who was arrested in November.

I would presume that because he has been arrested before in Germany they have his fingerprints and DNA and they are a match inside the Lorry.

I hope a vigilante group catch him and string the fecker up from a lap post, but that would be stooping to their level and too much to ask for.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Sounds like he should have been under observation. I suppose they can't permanently trail everyone who they believe is a danger. Tragic. Makes you wonder if we get lucky, or have more surveillance personnel. Heard on the radio we have 5 times as many people listening to phone chat than the Germans. Seems their police and intelligence are just woefully unprepared for the potential terrorist danger that's resulted because of Merkel's open border policy last year.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
You need alot of people to keep someone under 24 hour surveillance

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Peter Clarke, National Coordinator for Terrorist Investigations, told Panorama about the logistical challenge of running surveillance - explaining how resources are the crucial factor.

"An average surveillance team is perhaps 15 to 20 people strong," " he said. "In order to keep one person under 24 hour surveillance you'll need a minimum two, perhaps three, surveillance teams for each person. Three surveillance teams could be anything up to 60 people."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/6476207.stm

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
A manhunt is under way across Europe's Schengen states after prosecutors identified a suspect in the lorry attack on a Berlin Christmas market.
A warrant was issued at midnight. Details were not given but media reports say the suspect is a Tunisian man named only as Anis A, born in 1992.
His residence permit was found in the cab of the lorry.
He may have been injured in a struggle with the driver, found dead in the cab. The attack claimed 12 lives in all.
Some 150 police officers are said to be involved in searches in the Emmerich area of North Rhine-Westphalia, western Germany, where the suspect's permit was issued.

Chancellor Angela Merkel has met her security cabinet to discuss the investigation into the attack.

The Schengen area covers most EU states plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.
The Tunisian suspect is also known to use false names, security sources told German media and Reuters news agency.
His name was given using a German convention whereby suspects are identified by their first name and initial.
He is reported to have travelled to Italy in 2012 and then on to Germany in 2015 where he applied for asylum and was granted temporary leave to stay in April of this year.

He is said to be known to police and was briefly detained in August with fake Italian identity documents.
Sueddeutsche Zeitung reports that the suspect moved within the circle of an Islamist preacher, Ahmad Abdelazziz A, known as Abu Walaa, who was arrested in November.

I would presume that because he has been arrested before in Germany they have his fingerprints and DNA and they are a match inside the Lorry.

I hope a vigilante group catch him and string the fecker up from a lap post, but that would be stooping to their level and too much to ask for.

So the latest "suspect" that the security services had been monitoring for 6 months and then lost him left his id paperwork under the seat of the cab .

Meanwhile the original suspect ( a Pakistani criminal with mental heath issues ) has gone missing with fears for his safety .

Very odd .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The power of fear.

Fortunately the body in Milan seems to possess the guy's fingerprints.

It seems it is the right person. As an aside he was asked for ID and pulled a gun; seems he was a wrong-un either way.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
This issue is very strange, was under observation by the German security services, was not arrested for deportation even though his asylum bid failed. Drops his ID in the cab of the truck, travels around Europe not being spotted or picked up, leaves his train ticket in his pocket ad is eventually stopped at a random police check in Milan. How many cars on the road and this vehicle was stopped, this was not random. I had seen too many interventions in Northern Ireland described as a routine foot patrol or a random vehicle check point stopped or shot the suspect. Travelled by train yet was stopped in a car, where was he going, where had he been. I would be inclined that the German security services were using this guy and it went wrong, they have been made to look ametuer during these and previous events in Germany.
Reminds me of David Cameron saying we need to be in the EU for security reasons yet we see, Belgian, German, french and Austrian security services fail without a clue what is going on. I was alarmed to hear that the Germans have no equivalent to GCHQ, how much would that be worth in Brexit negotiations? European security services are appearing to be a shambles, we should not rely on them.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
This issue is very strange, was under observation by the German security services, was not arrested for deportation even though his asylum bid failed. Drops his ID in the cab of the truck, travels around Europe not being spotted or picked up, leaves his train ticket in his pocket ad is eventually stopped at a random police check in Milan. How many cars on the road and this vehicle was stopped, this was not random. I had seen too many interventions in Northern Ireland described as a routine foot patrol or a random vehicle check point stopped or shot the suspect. Travelled by train yet was stopped in a car, where was he going, where had he been. I would be inclined that the German security services were using this guy and it went wrong, they have been made to look ametuer during these and previous events in Germany.
Reminds me of David Cameron saying we need to be in the EU for security reasons yet we see, Belgian, German, french and Austrian security services fail without a clue what is going on. I was alarmed to hear that the Germans have no equivalent to GCHQ, how much would that be worth in Brexit negotiations? European security services are appearing to be a shambles, we should not rely on them.

That's a pretty fair assessment and guess to be honest, this would not surprise me either although we will never know if they were using them. Merkel would find that pretty hard to explain away.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

Cameron imo, like Blair, was a pathological liar and I would give his views zero weight. On the EU or anything else. Most EU countries have not fought a war for over 70 years and then most capitulated. They dont have the experience or a clue what to do.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The Daily Mirror seems to have explained the sequence of events.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Ignoring all the supposition in this post, when compared to terror incidents around the world, including the UK, 4 days from attack to capture seems pretty quick to me.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Given that he dropped his ID in the cab, its actually not that quick. German security services look pretty stupid at the moment, had it not been for a random VCP he would have been gone. The guy should have been removed months ago, what an earth is going on in Germany, they have now been brought in to the front line of terror in Europe their security services just about beating the Belgians who appeared equally inept. Merkel looked worried and drawn on our television screens, she has a lot to answer for after making her unilateral decision to bring in a million immigrants, the German people will be paying a price for her arrogance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here