Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

London to Brighton Bike Ride.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
Im well up for it again, can someone email me who has a form and il give them my details and send them my entry money, many thanks

TEAM FALMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
My application went in this morning ..

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
last year some f***ing BASTARD stole my bike 2 days before

only just aquired another - in principle I'm up for it but I need the weather to warm up a bit to see if I can rememeber how to ride a bike (it's not like falling off a log y'know)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Barry Hazgon said:

Another nightmare is getting to the start (if you live by the seaside) since those tossers at BR refused to take bikes. Recommend we sign up for the official coaches - unless someone knows someone who knows someone with a fleet of vans and minibuses..

The main problem for most people is getting back, not getting there for the start. There are no restrictions on taking a bike on the Saturday. I'm going up the day before and stay at a mate's house, a few beers that evening and I'm sorted.

Riding through Croydon wearing the stripes will be fun.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
To give a guide on fitness, my attempt last year took me about 6 hours, with quite a few stops. My training consisted of doing about 20 rides before hand in the lanes around my village, gradually moving from about 30 mins cycling to about 90 mins. By the time it got to race day I had never cycled more than 15 miles at a time, but I managed to do the 54 miles without too many problems. I would say you have to be pretty bloody fit to do it in less than 4 hours, but a reasonably fit person should do it in 5 hours no probs. The issue we'll all have to think about is whether to stick together during the whole thing, or whether to aim to do (say) the last 10 miles (say from top of Ditchling Beacon) together. The former is likely to be difficult, the latter will require quite a bit of organisation in ensuring we stagger the start times correctly. Whatever we do, however, it would be fantastic if we managed to get 40 or 50 of us doing it. And as for sponsorship, you have to raise money for the BHF....to be honest, I think the positive PR around a big group of us doing this will be VERY beneficial for the whole Falmer thing, without trying to raise any actual money for the Falmer cause. I raised about £800 last year without too much effort. It ought to be possible for 40 to 50 of us to raise at least £25,000 - which would be absolutely fantastic.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Damn...you can't enter online: what year are they in?

I don't have a printer at the moment (my old one's just given up the ghost) so could someone print me off a form and sent it to me. PM me and I'll give the address.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
can someone tell me what to put as a realistic fundraising target?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Okay lets organise. Shall we enter as an official team or enter individually but ride as a team?

If we enter individually we can pick people up in the coming months and get as many as possible doing it. If we enter a team it all was to go through one person which could cause problems. So this needs discussing.

I suggest a few of us all go for a few rides together. Get fit, get to know each other etc.

Lets all try and stick together, if you enter as part of the above team you have to bear in mind we are only as fast as our slowest rider. Personally it'll look much better if we all do this in one massive group all the way.

All wear stripes? Or shall I get some shirts printed?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
3. I want to enter a team into the Bike Ride. How would we go about this?
All riders must complete and sign their own Entry Form, whether riding as an individual, in a team or on a multi-seater bike (i.e. tandem).

Please either download and/or photocopy as many Entry Forms as you need for each person in your team and please make sure that each person clearly states the correct team name and team leaders name when completing the form (it would be ideal if the team leader completes this section on each form themselves before handing out).

Forms can be returned individually with your entry fee (again, please make sure the team name details are correct) or as one whole package with either individual entry fee cheques or one total cheque covering everyone who has completed an Entry Form.

4. Is the entry fee per person or per team?
Each person taking part must each pay an entry fee. It is not per team.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I have filled in and sent my entry form off, and it looks like several others have too - so we can't enter as a team

BUT we can ride as a team.

You've also got the problem about what start times people have opted for. I've gone for 8am because I can't get my a*se out of bed and its going to be early enough as it is.

They won't let you go off earlier than your start time, but they will let you go off later ( i.e. a 7am start can go at 8am but not the other way round)

I've also gone for the coach transport up there in the morning from Madeira Drive.

I like the idea of some practice rides. Gonna need it, but not in this weather surely ?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
OK enter individually and try and go for an 8am start time. We shall ride as a team.

See if we can't raise a few hundred quid between us?

Practice is very important but I guess were all based around different areas of sussex.

Anyone living near or in Peacehaven, Rottingdean, Saltdean then I can train with you. PM me.:bounce:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Billy the Fish said:
I'd love to do it but on that day I'll be downing pints of super strength German lager :drink: :drink: :drink:
I'll think of you lot on your 40 mile bike ride :lolol:

56 miles please !!!#

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
58 according to my computer thingy last year. Maybe I took a wrong turn somewhere !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here