Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

London to Brighton Bike Ride - Question

parks

Jan 17, 2004
East Sussex
I have got a place on the London to Brighton, question is I don't have a bike...which one and what size...I need to get fit and am a novice.

5' 11 14 stone.

So what sort of bike?
Size?
Make?
Budget £300 - £700 (max)

Thanks,

Parks

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I nicked this nice orange one the other day. Make me an offer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For the budget you have that kind of leaves you the Boardman Range in Halfords.
(Have them make it then take it round to your nearest Local Bike Shop, spend the £20 for quality peace of mind)

If you want an out and out road bike, you are in the price bracket of all entry level bikes.
So it's just a case of check a few and seeing what fits best.
Although the Boardman will have the best spec.

parks

Jan 17, 2004
East Sussex
For the budget you have that kind of leaves you the Boardman Range in Halfords.
(Have them make it then take it round to your nearest Local Bike Shop, spend the £20 for quality peace of mind)

If you want an out and out road bike, you are in the price bracket of all entry level bikes.
So it's just a case of check a few and seeing what fits best.
Although the Boardman will have the best spec.

Thank you for a sensible answer!

Are Evans bike shops any good?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not one I like, just a minor step up from Halfrauds.
But I do seem to only get served by tw@ts, when there, others have higher opinions of them.
Although it is a good place to go to see bikes across many ranges.
At 5'11 and 14 stone (you chunky monkey :lol:), you're smack bang in the middle of all ranges, depending on inside leg, you will be looking at 55-57 inch frames.

What start time have you got?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't spunk £700 on a bike!

You can get a very good bike for £100 tops.
Gosh £100 that must be really special.
Care to elaborate as to this mythical creature.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I went to pick up my bike last July from my stepbrothers in London and decided to cycle back from London to Brighton, taking the scenic route, adding about 7 -9 miles onto the official route. My bike was only 140 quid and it performed fine. I took it in for a service which cost about 20 just to be sure it was up to the task and it was fine chap.

I rarely cycle and hadn't been on a bike for about 2 years when I did this. I am fairly fit but no training and I did it in about 4 and a half hours, got a bit lost around Ilfield which slowed me down but shows it can be done with the minimum kit and training.

Just make sure the bike is fit for purpose and you won't need to spend a fortune.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I went to pick up my bike last July from my stepbrothers in London and decided to cycle back from London to Brighton, taking the scenic route, adding about 7 -9 miles onto the official route. My bike was only 140 quid and it performed fine. I took it in for a service which cost about 20 just to be sure it was up to the task and it was fine chap.

I rarely cycle and hadn't been on a bike for about 2 years when I did this. I am fairly fit but no training and I did it in about 4 and a half hours, got a bit lost around Ilfield which slowed me down but shows it can be done with the minimum kit and training.

Just make sure the bike is fit for purpose and you won't need to spend a fortune.
Totally agree Nibble.
If you are just riding L2B as a one off, then you do have to remember bar Ditchling it's pretty much downhill all the way.
But if it's a springboard into a summer of cycling, and beyond, then imo £300-700 is a realisitic entry level budget.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just don't go to halfords.
Yeah it's just a shame they do the Boardmans, hence my original post.

Oh and obviously for L2B you won't need any suspension.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Hi Parks,

For a start you can't get a good bike for £100. That will be welded heavy steel tubes and poor quality components that look like a bike. Not unless you buy 2nd hand and get a fantastic deal! Also I'd like to defend Evans. The lads serving may be young but mechanically know their way around a bike and are really helpful...I mend most things on mine and if I'm stuck they've always been able to help me out with advice, correct tools etc.

My advice would be to by a mountain bike, if you have a budget of between £4-500 hundered pounds you will get a fantastic bike these days. Take off the fat rubber for riding the London to Brighton and fit it up with some slicks. You now have something you can knock around town on or get up on the downs in the summer. Ok it won't be geared for serious roadie stuff but are you really likely to get into that? Also buy yourself a good lock if you intend on shopping in Brighton with it!

Check out the reviews at the rear of What Mountain Bike and take your pick. You'll probably fit an 18'' frame at your height. Mail order from certain companies (On-One / Merlin / KHS) will work out cheaper at the expense of try before you buy and yes the Boardman bikes at Halfords are fantastic VFM.

Good luck!

SpidersLegs

Feb 2, 2007
Here & there
See if your company do a cycle to work scheme, you will get your bike tax free and the cost spread over 12 months, up to £1000 including accessories. Tax free bikes for work through the Government's Green Transport Initiative - Cyclescheme, provider of Cycle to Work schemes for UK employers

I did that last year but we had to get it from Halfords though. But, I'm tempting fate here, it's been a great purchase. No problems at all. Use it for work & leisure all the time. Have done the London to Brighton about 7 or 8 times. It's a cracking day out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here