Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

London mayor considers pay-per-mile road pricing and ban on new parking

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don't agree. For every bus in the city, there would need to be two trams - or one double-length tram. With the amount of buses there are in the city centre (and the real problem is cars in bus-only routes), nothing would change.

At least buses can overtake at many points, rather than waiting for an overtaking line.

Cities that have re-introduced trams are finding that far more people use them than ever used the buses. Everywhere they've been introduced, it has resulted in improvement.

Also, for some reason, the more selfish motorists are likely to get in the way of buses, or try and get past them if they think they can; they don't get in the way of a tram!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Cities that have re-introduced trams are finding that far more people use them than ever used the buses. Everywhere they've been introduced, it has resulted in improvement.

Also, for some reason, the more selfish motorists are likely to get in the way of buses, or try and get past them if they think they can; they don't get in the way of a tram!

Great successes in terms of passengers and speed, as they are across the continent.

Annoyingly, hugely expensive though. Edinburgh’s new tram, just a single line, went from £375m to £775m. I’ve looked at similar projects such as Montpelier and they too were very expensive (a mix of public and private sector funding), with moth-balled final sections due to cost.

Imho, the way forward. I wish Brighton had a network eg east-west, also city centre to Sussex Uni.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
People's reliance on cars is ridiculous. I know some people that drive to the local shops. Unless you need it for work or transporting someone who's disabled, you shouldn't be regularly driving in most cities.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Your piece is missing the point that no bugger can move over 30mph without coming to a sodding halt again:)

Maybe I need to clarify London through its mayoral powers, it integrated transport system and its sheer wealth do things other towns and cities can’t.

We have to many cars on the roads, we cannot build more roads within urban areas while our current way of life means we have a need for transport which is currently filled with car ownership.

unless you make all public transport buses and trains free at the point of use, but to do this it requires more trains more tracks more stations and more buses only London has the wealth and direct control to make this happen

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
People's reliance on cars is ridiculous. I know some people that drive to the local shops. Unless you need it for work or transporting someone who's disabled, you shouldn't be regularly driving in most cities.

Statistically speaking most people we all know drive to the local shops (or schools)

But I imagine, much like the dangerous driving thread, that doesn't apply to anybody who posts on NSC.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
If ever there was an example for needing trams Brighton is it.

Which of course it did have at the start of the last century, later to be superseded by the trolley buses that my Dad often tells me about him using when he worked in Brighton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here