Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] London 2012, 10 years on...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Similar. I think, like almost everybody else, I was amazed that we'd put on such a good show. We went to Barcelona in September 2012 and the amount of people walking around with versions of Union flags on their clothing was incredible; it was probably the first time since the Swinging Sixties that Britain had been really 'cool'. And yeah, once they'd heard our voices we had people saying how much they'd enjoyed it.

And we pissed the whole legacy up the wall.

EDIT: That last statement is probably a bit unfair. Compared to other countries infrastructure-wise we haven't been left with a collection of rotting, expensive white elephants.

I'd have preferred to have kept the 'cool' and have 'a collection of rotting, expensive white elephants' to be fair.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That brilliant open ceremony contained themes and visions that made me proud to be British and proud of my country.

I still am.

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
When did we have our Sliding Doors moment ?
sad , really sad .

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I watched this in a Greek Hotel and an elderly "considerably richer than you" couple walked out because of the left wing bias and lack of the Red Arrows.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I watched this in a Greek Hotel and an elderly "considerably richer than you" couple walked out because of the left wing bias and lack of the Red Arrows.

Love the Red Arrows. Bit shit at night though TBH.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Christ so much misery on here. Life really isn't that bad here despite our issues (many of which are replicated in so many countries around the world - especially at the moment)

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I've never seen the opening ceremony (nor much of the Olympics themselves) as it was the night before my wedding and I instead found myself nervously drinking in the pub, getting far more píssed than I would liked to have been when I awoke, much later than planned, the following day. Lord knows how we've managed to hold it together 10 years, 2 kids and several near-divorces later.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Christ so much misery on here. Life really isn't that bad here despite our issues (many of which are replicated in so many countries around the world - especially at the moment)

I've come to the conclusion that for some people political hand-wringinging is a full time hobby!

Before brexit it was Thatcher on every thread. The Iraq war and Blair made a brief appearance. To suggest the 2012 was some sort of utopian high point is just a figment of the imagination.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
What would we have if we did the opening ceremony now, just on events of the last 10 years? I'd like to think that England fan from the Euros with the flare up his ar*e would light the Olympic flame.

Perhaps beforehand we could feature Prince Andrew eating pizza, Boris having a massive party with a drunk Farage while the Queen mourns on her own in the corner, Priti Patel and Katie Hopkins sinking boats full of refugees, some kind of symbolic representation of foodbanks, maybe Britannia shooting herself in both feet and trying to pretend everything is ok...

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit

Life may not be 'really that bad' for some, but for others it really is, and it's going to get a lot worse, too. It's not a case of 'misery', but a genuine sadness at the downward spiral we're in. I accept it's not necessarily great in some other countries, too, but a hell of a lot of our shit is of our own making.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I've come to the conclusion that for some people political hand-wringinging is a full time hobby!

Before brexit it was Thatcher on every thread. The Iraq war and Blair made a brief appearance. To suggest the 2012 was some sort of utopian high point is just a figment of the imagination.

29 gold versus 1 in Atlanta and 3rd in the medal table, pretty close to sporting utopia if you ask me

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What would we have if we did the opening ceremony now, just on events of the last 10 years? I'd like to think that England fan from the Euros with the flare up his ar*e would light the Olympic flame.

Perhaps beforehand we could feature Prince Andrew eating pizza, Boris having a massive party with a drunk Farage while the Queen mourns on her own in the corner, Priti Patel and Katie Hopkins sinking boats full of refugees, some kind of symbolic representation of foodbanks, maybe Britannia shooting herself in both feet and trying to pretend everything is ok...
Saw somewhere that there is in fact a Negative Legacy " of sport due to the selling off of playing fields and reduction of sport curricular in schools over the last 10 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here