Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] London 2012, 10 years on...

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I remember watching it and thinking that at last the country had become comfortable with itself and its place in the world. Since then the Little Englanders decided we could pull up the drawbridge and didn't have to deal with the rest of the world despite overwhelming evidence it is a bad idea.

Sickens me.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I really enjoyed it, especially when Aidan Burley described it as 'leftie multicultural crap'.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I remember watching it and thinking that at last the country had become comfortable with itself and its place in the world. Since then the Little Englanders decided we could pull up the drawbridge and didn't have to deal with the rest of the world despite overwhelming evidence it is a bad idea.

Sickens me.

After 2012 I had a holiday in Germany and Austria, I remember having numerous conversations with people raving about London 2012 and an amazing job we'd done. Without sounding arrogant I think it was probably the best Olympics in the modern era.

These days as a Brit on holiday I keep my head down, its a very different vibe.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Saddening to see this and what the UK has now become.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Sickens me.

Absolutely and completely this. Our country seems to be adept at scoring own goals. :angry:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Sickens me.

And they've not gone anywhere. They're empowered, emboldened and have entrenched their position. On this trajectory where might we be in a decade's time!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Sickens me.
Absolutely this.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I always remember the opening ceremony of London 2012 as being a part of the early internet phenomena of "fake news" and "culture wars" as there was a big thing beforehand about how the Red Arrows were being "banned" from the opening ceremony. It spread like wildfire online and yet both the London 2012 organisers and the Red Arrows both said it was bollocks, and that because the ceremony was going to be taking place in the dark there wasn't much point them being there.

As for the ceremony and the games themselves, the last time we were truly great as a country. And given the current trajectory, probably the last time we will be for a long time, if ever.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What was the legacy?

Think one of them is Queen Elizabeth Park now a cultural and education area and innovation/tech hub, a lot better than the white elephants from other host cities

The re-development of the stadium for WH at a cost of £300m+ has been a debacle though

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
What was the legacy?

London now has a world class velodrome, aquatics centre and athletics stadium which it lacked beforehand, all of which have seen world championships in their relative sports. The regeneration of that part of London is also quite something, it was a total shithole before they started.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And to think, just 9 years later, the abiding images from the next tournament to be hosted in London is a bloke with a flare up his arse and a stadium being overun by chavs.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
After 2012 I had a holiday in Germany and Austria, I remember having numerous conversations with people raving about London 2012 and an amazing job we'd done. Without sounding arrogant I think it was probably the best Olympics in the modern era.

These days as a Brit on holiday I keep my head down, its a very different vibe.
Similar. I think, like almost everybody else, I was amazed that we'd put on such a good show. We went to Barcelona in September 2012 and the amount of people walking around with versions of Union flags on their clothing was incredible; it was probably the first time since the Swinging Sixties that Britain had been really 'cool'. And yeah, once they'd heard our voices we had people saying how much they'd enjoyed it.

And we pissed the whole legacy up the wall.

EDIT: That last statement is probably a bit unfair. Compared to other countries infrastructure-wise we haven't been left with a collection of rotting, expensive white elephants.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here