Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Logs for open fire/wood burner

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Anyone got a recommendation for bulk log supplier around the area?

Normal supplier has transport issues. Had several suppliers before but have been disappointed with wet logs, low quality wood etc...

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Sussex Timber Co at Wiston are good, most of them will only deliver releatively locally, so a google search via maps is quite good.

Our latest batch arrived early December, good solid genuine tree chunks, they really need to be indoors 24 hrs as the weathers been so wet, the logs aren't its just nothing will dry outside at the moment.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
It's a problem. Our supplier is a fruit farmer in West Dorset; £110 per dummy bag and excellent quality. But even in this rural area with more trees pp than most, there is a shortage of supply. Get a moisture detector for about a tenner; at least this shows whether the supplier is reputable or not. Second hint: stick logs in warming oven of Aga/Rayburn overnight. Does the trick.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Sky high demand
closer to the sky prices
fresher logs to boot, almost too fresh

our supplier changed, price last year - £70, this year £100

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Sussex Timber Co at Wiston are good, most of them will only deliver releatively locally, so a google search via maps is quite good.

Our latest batch arrived early December, good solid genuine tree chunks, they really need to be indoors 24 hrs as the weathers been so wet, the logs aren't its just nothing will dry outside at the moment.
Thanks. I'll give them a buzz. Wiston isn't that far from Shoreham so hopefully can deliver.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I only use the very best endangered rainforest hardwoods, preferably one certified as an orangutang’s abode.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Sky high demand
closer to the sky prices
fresher logs to boot, almost too fresh

our supplier changed, price last year - £70, this year £100
Is that Wiston?

My supplier said that the sales of log burners have gone up 500% since the energy crisis and it's now created a shortage of logs.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Thanks. I'll give them a buzz. Wiston isn't that far from Shoreham so hopefully can deliver.
Also used them and they were excellent.
It has to be said even their stuff needs a while to dry properly which is why our log store is on a continual revolving door policy, (what we are burning now is 2020 logs). The difference in weight to new logs is amazing!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You might find the same struggle getting delivery from anywhere - it was certainly the case before the new year.

My neighbour ordered from Wiston in late December for delivery on January 31st - the earliest they could do at the time.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
We have a good supplier on our manor but they were taking no orders from October. Luckily we have got one now for a delivery in mid March, so it feels like we are getting them early for next winter. Price has gone up about 33% from memory. We have found a back up, but the lower quality logs are pricier.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I thought they were deadlier than guns, more pulluting than a thousand flights to Australia etc Is it really still legal to buy logs given how lethal they are. So much as looking at one makes me cough these days.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I thought they were deadlier than guns, more pulluting than a thousand flights to Australia etc Is it really still legal to buy logs given how lethal they are. So much as looking at one makes me cough these days.

Don’t smoke them down to the filter.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Never quite get why people bother with open fires, they're totally useless with 80% of the heat going up the chimney.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here