Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lockhart Tavern Haywards Heath

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It hadnt changed when I left my last pub less than 20 years ago and many came in for a pint and a meal. After leaving the pub in B Hill in 2001 we did general relief for anybody who wanted a holiday until 2005 and it was still very much in action still then in many of the pubs we worked at in many different towns in the UK.

Went past there at about 2.20 todayand as far as I could see from the bus there was 4 people in the bar area but 8 people sitting outside however those outside all seemed to have teapots or coffee cups on their tables no beer. Have companys now stopped staff drinking at lunch times As we were very busy with chaps and girls just having 1 drink each and a lunch. How times change.

Ever thought they just might be hiding?:rolleyes:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It hadnt changed when I left my last pub less than 20 years ago and many came in for a pint and a meal. After leaving the pub in B Hill in 2001 we did general relief for anybody who wanted a holiday until 2005 and it was still very much in action still then in many of the pubs we worked at.

You're making two points here.

One is about people sticking around drinking until 2.20pm as part of their lunch break - as part of the work culture. Now you're making the point about coming in for a pint and a meal at lunch time - which is still very common.

The main thing is - you're whining about some culture shift because people are drinking tea in a pub at lunchtime. That's something that kicked in pubs ages ago - around 20 (or more) years in fact.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No I am saying about the shift from alcoholic drinks to tea and coffee at lunch times is that by choice of the customers or forced on them by their employers. I would expect with political correctness companys would make people using machinery forgo their lunch time pint and can accept that, but how about a bank cashier or insurance or office worker of which there are many in Perrymount Rd.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I work in an office, I go to the Star, and I drink BEER

I'm doing it tomorrow lunchtime in fact.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
No I am saying about the shift from alcoholic drinks to tea and coffee at lunch times is that by choice of the customers or forced on them by their employers. I would expect with political correctness companys would make people using machinery forgo their lunch time pint and can accept that, but how about a bank cashier or insurance or office worker of which there are many in Perrymount Rd.

I don't think it's a company based thing. It's more of a societal thing. 10 years ago we didn't have "stoptober" and "dryanuary" etc. People are more cautious about the amount they drink.

I remember when I first started working in Horsham about 15 years ago, first at RSA and then the insurance company across the road, most lunchtimes we went to the Black Jug for a couple of pints. Similarly when I worked for BT at Gatwick about 10 years ago on a Friday we would head to a nearby pub for a couple.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I don't think it's a company based thing. It's more of a societal thing. 10 years ago we didn't have "stoptober" and "dryanuary" etc. People are more cautious about the amount they drink.

I remember when I first started working in Horsham about 15 years ago, first at RSA and then the insurance company across the road, most lunchtimes we went to the Black Jug for a couple of pints. Similarly when I worked for BT at Gatwick about 10 years ago on a Friday we would head to a nearby pub for a couple.

That was how I remember it.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I think you are getting your "...gorn mads" mixed up - stopping people drinking and then operating machinery is nothing to do with political correctness...it's "Elf and safety gorn mad!"

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think you are getting your "...gorn mads" mixed up - stopping people drinking and then operating machinery is nothing to do with political correctness...it's "Elf and safety gorn mad!"

You are correct of course it is Elf and Safety which never seemed to worry builders in years gone by.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
When I first started work I the early 70s we always went to the pub the Heyworth Burrel arms Liverpool arms and sometimes United service club for a game of snooker and couple of pints,it got messy on Market days as the pub stayed open all afternoon.
By the time I left the same company in 1997 it was fround on to drink lunch times apart from special occasions.
But we made up for after work.The company social club did not sell alcohol at lunch times only from 17-00hrs. But it was cheap

It hadnt changed when I left my last pub less than 20 years ago and many came in for a pint and a meal. After leaving the pub in B Hill in 2001 we did general relief for anybody who wanted a holiday until 2005 and it was still very much in action still then in many of the pubs we worked at in many different towns in the UK.

General relief for anybody! Its taken another turn:eek:

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Based on the prices YOU posted I was incorrectly charged and in their defence I suggested that they may have charged for 3 of each rather than 2 obviously by mistake . I do so wish you had been the stocktaker in the places that I managed,

I believe having scanned through this very entertaining thread this afternoon the owner or manager of the establishment in question made a long post explaining where you sat, who you were served by and the prices that were charged for each drink and that they had checked the details thoroughly and that you had been charged correctly. A post at the time that you ignored.

A quick calculation on a piece of paper totals the drinks you had listed as totalling £30.80. An additional Tia Maria wouldnt take this up to the amount you were charged, I wonder if you perhaps offered your server a 10% tip at the time. It certainly doesnt appear you were overcharged at the level you claim to have been.

Last edited:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I believe having scanned through this very entertaining thread this afternoon the owner or manager of the establishment in question made a long post explaining where you sat, who you were served by and the prices that were charged for each drink and that they had checked the details thoroughly and that you had been charged correctly. A post at the time that you ignored

bg is never wrong in his world.
When he is wrong in our world he posts another twenty posts to BORE everyone to death to muddy the waters and send everyone to sleep :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here