Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Lockdown lifting - when?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I am starting to struggle badly mate here on my own. It is tough for everyone I know

In which case I apologise if I was slightly harsh with my words. My suggestion would be to take a look at https://www.worldometers.info/ to get a sense of perspective. eg: 270,000 deaths from water related diseases this year, 4.2 million deaths from communicable diseases this year, 550,000 deaths from HIV/AIDS and so on. Compare this with 228,000 deaths from Covid. Serious though this all is we HAVE to keep a sense of perspective. We WILL be back to the Amex at some point, we will go to concerts again and we will see our friends again soon. Look after yourself until then.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I am starting to struggle badly mate here on my own. It is tough for everyone I know

Mate, you've got a huge number of friends on here and IRL, and rightly so. You're a top bloke. Just PM your phone number anytime to any of those, including me, anytime you need to chat. Take care. Things WILL get better

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Just my opinion my friend. There will be an easing to keep the economy afloat but as for social events and gatherings, cannot see that anytime soon. Even if it is relaxed the human psyche with social distancing and basically being terrified of other humans is ingrained in some and therefore a new normal has been set. I hope social events happen again but not likely this year. Maybe they can with continued social distancing

i think a few hundred millennia of evolution will win over a few months change.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just my opinion my friend. There will be an easing to keep the economy afloat but as for social events and gatherings, cannot see that anytime soon. Even if it is relaxed the human psyche with social distancing and basically being terrified of other humans is ingrained in some and therefore a new normal has been set. I hope social events happen again but not likely this year. Maybe they can with continued social distancing

I don’t think you could be more wrong. We will be back in pubs and stadiums, concerts etc again by September at the latest.
People will take about a fortnight to adjust back to normal.
I had a wobble last week. Felt helpless and sick of risking my health by going into work only to be told to **** off dozens of times a night and endure being shouted at by addicts and drunks who don’t think lock down applies to them and coming home at the end of a 13 hour night shift to an empty home, catch up with my stepsister as to how my Stepdad who has dementia and in a nursing home, with nothing but shitty texts off my ex to look forward to and try and get some sleep and do it all again that night. Desperately missing friends and family.
I felt like shit.
But much more positive now. It comes in waves. You’ll be fine. And we are on here for you. Chin up, steady as she goes.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I don’t think you could be more wrong. We will be back in pubs and stadiums, concerts etc again by September at the latest.

I hope you are right, that would be fantastic

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I still think people keep wrongly seeing it as binary, “lockdown” or “no lockdown”.

It’s going to be a very, very gradual lifting over about a year or so. When will the first tiny bit of give be? In the next 2-3 weeks I’d guess.

This.......piece by piece. Something like :

-ability to meet families/close friends in small groups and not in public spaces, certain shops/businesses reopening with social distancing
-outdoor sports/activities where distancing can be largely maintained (golf, fishing, tennis etc)
-more use of public spaces like parks and beaches, again maintaining distancing
-programmed return to offices/work
-programmed return to school

etc

Very close scrutiny of infection rates at every step - will take several days/weeks to move form one to the next. May be accelerated if contact tracing can be introduced, and even faster if antibody testing works and can be rolled out. This will be life until there is a vaccine.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Those on here who work in an office be it Brighton , London or where ever. please tell me why do you need nowadays to go to work ? with all the tech we have these days what can you do in the office you can`t do from home ?

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

I understand how you feel. It's hard to envisage how this turns around. And the answer is going to be slowly, one step at a time.

But it WILL turn around. And while, at least for some time, it won't go away, we will learn to live with it, one way or another. This involves learning to live with a level, and type, of managed risk in our lives that was not previously there and which has appeared (in historical terms) instantly. Which is why it's so hard to imagine.

Think of someone was transported from a world with no cars, or anything that could move faster than a horse. And explaining to them the risks involved in travelling in a vehicle at 70+mph. And exposing them every single day to a barrage of information, images and statistics about car related injuries and deaths. They would live in terror and be very very scared of getting in a car. But we have become completely accepting of thse risks and they do not figure in our day to day life, and do not generally exert any influence over decisions we make.

So we will reduce and manage the risk. And then we will learn to live with a slightly higher risk than before, and begin to not notice. Then we'll work out how to get rid of it completely. Maybe sooner, maybe later. But we will.

And then we'll re-set our society and economy to be more equal, cleaner, more resilient because we have all learnt something about what and who we really value.

Well...maybe.

Or maybe we'll all go out every Thursday evening and make a noise for all the hedge fund managers, marketing executives, celebrities, sports stars and others that we seem to find so invaluable to us in 'normal' times.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I think we will be in Lockdown till June, our friends in the Farterland have contributed towards this with their not so clever relaxation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Well these two flu outbreaks that were not that long ago and we just carried on as normal, yes the figures are less but were they counting care homes hospices and all deaths ? And looking back into the 50s and 60s they were pretty bad then. Hong kong flu in 1968 claimed between 25 and 50 million deaths and nothing closed ?? I dont know what to make of it TBH but it all seems a bit queer.

Flu outbreak is worst for eight years
This article is more than 11 years old
Sarah Boseley, health editor

Wed 24 Dec 2008 00.01 GMTFirst published on Wed 24 Dec 2008 00.01 GMT
Shares
Britain is in the grip of a flu outbreak greater than anything seen in the last eight years, with soaring numbers of people falling ill, new figures show.

The last big flu outbreak occurred in 1999/2000, when 22,000 people died, which is 10 times the average for a winter flu season.

The latest figures from the Royal College of GPs show 69 cases of flu in 100,000 population for this week. In the last two weeks, the rate has climbed steeply, from 28 in 100,000 two weeks ago, to 40 last week and now 69.

The rise is across all regions of the UK and all age groups, but it appears to be the young and middle-aged adults who are hit hardest. The rate has soared to 80 in 100,000 in the 15 to 44 age group and to 76 among 45 to 64-year-olds. These tend to be more socially active people - teenagers, young adults and workers who refuse to stay home when they feel ill.

Daily deaths peaked on 1 January 2015, 35% higher than the five-year average
Deaths peaked on 1 January last winter when daily deaths were 35% higher than the five-year average. The first part of 2015 (5 to 11 January) also saw weekly deaths at 15,000, the highest number in any given week since the last two weeks of December 1999 and first two weeks of January 2000, when flu levels were very high.

Daily deaths were above the five-year average on 304 out of 365 days in 2014/15. There were only two days during the winter period where daily deaths fell below the five year average, and on both occasions, the difference was less than fifteen deaths.

Temperature was a bigger factor in excess winter deaths back in the 1950s and 1960s
Despite the rise in excess deaths last winter, recent times have seen excess deaths well below that of the 1950s and 1960s. Over the winter periods between 1950/51 and 1965/66 there were on average 62,000 excess winter deaths, more than twice the average over the winter periods between 1998/99 and 2013/14.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I had a wobble last week. Felt helpless and sick of risking my health by going into work only to be told to **** off dozens of times a night and endure being shouted at by addicts and drunks who don’t think lock down applies to them and coming home at the end of a 13 hour night shift to an empty home, catch up with my stepsister as to how my Stepdad who has dementia and in a nursing home, with nothing but shitty texts off my ex to look forward to and try and get some sleep and do it all again that night. Desperately missing friends and family.
I felt like shit.
But much more positive now. It comes in waves. You’ll be fine. And we are on here for you. Chin up, steady as she goes.

You have it far tougher than me. Respect

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You have it far tougher than me. Respect

I didn’t mean it like that, I just meant that we are all bound to have rapidly changing moods and feelings. That’s a perfectly normal reaction to a ****ed up situation.
You’re a good man, US. I reckon you’ll be fine, as we all will. We press on :)

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I didn’t mean it like that, I just meant that we are all bound to have rapidly changing moods and feelings. That’s a perfectly normal reaction to a ****ed up situation.
You’re a good man, US. I reckon you’ll be fine, as we all will. We press on :)

It is indeed a Coronacoaster of emotions

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Until there's a vaccine people will continue to catch the virus and our govt have been and continue to be reacting too slowly and too conservatively from the word go. But they are stupid enough and driven by the need to be popular that they are quite capable of relaxing the lockdown far too early too.

I disagree.
If anything, I expect the Government to take a rather cautious approach to easing lockdown and agree with many of the posts on here setting out possible scenarios.
It is nothing to do with being popular. If they ease lockdown too soon and too quickly and there is another huge spike in infections, that wouldn't do a lot for popularity, would it! Bear in mind, as in Germany, there may well be an uptick in infections and deaths, once lockdown is eased. I reckon our Government and scientists will be keeping a very close eye on what happens in Germany, as no doubt, Frau Merkel is.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Those on here who work in an office be it Brighton , London or where ever. please tell me why do you need nowadays to go to work ? with all the tech we have these days what can you do in the office you can`t do from home ?

I'm London based, but haven't been into the office for 6 weeks. Has made virtually no difference (my team is spread far and wide anyway so where I sit doesn't really matter). I was WFH a couple of days a week before all this anyway and have done for 15+ years so very used to it. Our firm has something like 190,000 people working from home at the moment - whilst we won't fully switch, I think there will be a fundamental change in working practices with far more homeworking going forward.

Things do work better with some face to face contact but we don't need to be there as often as we are. Some people find it more difficult to WFH - family circumstances, lack of space etc so it doesn't suit everyone. I think we'll end up with more flexibility to do what works best for the individual. There are also a fair number of dinosaur managers around who don't trust their staff to work from home - they think people spend all day wasting their time on football forums and suchlike :whistle:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I think one thing we should remember is the Govt may say we can go out, but that doesn't mean we have to! I, for one, won't be rushing to a crowded pub or football stadium until this virus is well under control.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Maybe, don't think any social events or gatherings can happen until a vaccine is found and people can prove they are immune and no one knows when that might be. Anyway the 24/7 worst case scenario on the bbc and newspapers has probably got to me now

People wont have that. The death rate is still extremely low for the numbers so people will choose a life

Pubs will be back

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Maybe, don't think any social events or gatherings can happen until a vaccine is found and people can prove they are immune and no one knows when that might be. Anyway the 24/7 worst case scenario on the bbc and newspapers has probably got to me now

A study published yesterday indicated that 4 to 32 million people in the UK have already been infected. If towards the higher end it's likely that a vaccine wouldn't even be needed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here