Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Loanee left back

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That is the point we shouldnt be reliant on the 3rd choice if we wish to progress.

But if the 1st. and 2nd. choices are injured (and you can't do anything to prevent that) then the third choice is the only option.

We haven't got a left back on loan, and we can't have one. So third choice is the best choice.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
But if the 1st. and 2nd. choices are injured (and you can't do anything to prevent that) then the third choice is the only option.

We haven't got a left back on loan, and we can't have one. So third choice is the best choice.

If the club had any idea that Rosenior would be out for a few games the very next game after the transfer window closed, I imagine we would have found another PROPER left back. We are now left with a right back who is not top of the Championship quality playing left back. It could unravel for us over the next few games imo. We decided to risk not getting a genuine LB, it has backfired., just the way it goes. We cannot have treble quality cover all over the pitch.

I am very nervous of how Calde will cope at Derby though....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do believe that CH tried to bring in a left back during the last few days of the loan window, perhaps not as hard as he should as we had LR, but for whatever reason it didnt happen.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
. We decided to risk not getting a genuine LB, it has backfired., just the way it goes. We cannot have treble quality cover all over the pitch.

Hughton said there was very little left-backs available, and any that were we could not get for whatever reason. Not sure we risked it by deliberately missing out by the sound of it

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If the club had any idea that Rosenior would be out for a few games the very next game after the transfer window closed, I imagine we would have found another PROPER left back. We are now left with a right back who is not top of the Championship quality playing left back. It could unravel for us over the next few games imo. We decided to risk not getting a genuine LB, it has backfired., just the way it goes. We cannot have treble quality cover all over the pitch.

Not so worried after the Birmingham game. Calde always seemed vulnerable to the opposition cutting inside. Put him on the left hand side and we will only have to worry about the winger going around the outside. If Tom Ince plays out there it is in the inverted position and we would need to watch the Christie overlapping runs. A bit of practice playing against Bruno (similar to Christie) and we might be able to cope. Hull gave a demonstration of what not to do against Derby.

Still in view of what happened before against Derby without a proper left back, they are the last opponents I would like to play with a weakness there. QPR (Matt Phillips) and Middlesbrough would the second two teams I would like a proper left back against. I just hope Bruno keeps fit now.

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
That is true but we do not have many options. I think that against Derby we will play 4-5-1 and possibly put Ince and or Holla or even possibly Crofts in midfield. I think Holla could be the man to play left midfield to support Calderon. If you add 2 of those 3 it means leaving out either Murphy or March as well as a striker. Although we could have the option on the bench if it is needed to get back a goal.

The crucial game, whilst we are without a regular left back, is surely that at Derby on Saturday week. Calderon has to be odds on to fill in for that game, and to give him plenty of protection, and to avoid Derby exploiting his undoubted lack of pace, I would be tempted to forego playing with a left winger, and flood the midfield. We often do that in away games anyway.

Maybe Crofts could come in to deputise for, say Murphy?, if he is fit of course. I would prefer to see Crofty rather than Ince in that role, as l think he is more mobile, and could even come up with a goal.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Our only aim must be to win - it's no good aiming for a draw; what's the use of doing that and not quite making it.

I think if we set out to win the game at Derby, we will almost certainly lose it.

Slowing the game down, trying to break up play, must be our best plan. Playing defensively, keeping things tight, is the thing to do.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If the club had any idea that Rosenior would be out for a few games the very next game after the transfer window closed, I imagine we would have found another PROPER left back. ............................................................. We decided to risk not getting a genuine LB, it has backfired., just the way it goes.
I'm with BG and Springal on this - I'm sure the club looked to see if there was a quality LB available. Obviously there wasn't - I don't think the decision was to deliberately 'risk it'.

We cannot have treble quality cover all over the pitch.
Exactly. Very, very few clubs can.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think if we set out to win the game at Derby, we will almost certainly lose it.

Slowing the game down, trying to break up play, must be our best plan. Playing defensively, keeping things tight, is the thing to do.
Play defensively, yes, of course- but still the aim must be to win.

Aim to win, and almost (but not quite) make it, you get a point.
Aim to draw, and almost (but not quite) make it, you get sweet f.a.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But it wont work againt a team like Derby who have a very strong atracking midfield with Ince and the right back Christie? attacking our left side knowing we have a weakness there. If we can hold out for a draw that will be brilliant and beyond belief that we could win.

We're playing at Derby, not Barcelona.

Obviously its a tough game, but we are a very, very tough nut to crack. No reason why we can't go there and come away with the points, I don't think that would be beyond belief at all this season.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Play defensively, yes, of course- but still the aim must be to win.

Aim to win, and almost (but not quite) make it, you get a point.
Aim to draw, and almost (but not quite) make it, you get sweet f.a.

Perfectly understand what you are saying, but my worry is, that in trying to win, we could leave ourselves exposed at the back.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Derby is not on TV. 0-0 would be well OK.

I don't think we should slow the game down though. Make them chase shadows by keeping hold of the ball.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Chatting with a Wolves friend of mine, RVP is very fast - but like most wingers he's inconsistent and he rarely tracks back. When he can be bothered to perform defensively he's not very good at it. So using him as left footed cover for Calde wouldn't be a safe option IMO.

NB: Not to say RVP doesn't offer us a real spark, and can change games. But as a defensive-minded winger - not at all.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Perfectly understand what you are saying, but my worry is, that in trying to win, we could leave ourselves exposed at the back.

There is not one side who have looked better than us this season. OK Derby are in form but they havn't played us yet. They will be as wary of us as we are of them. We will think we can win this but first and foremost, when away from home you need to make sure that you don't lose against your closest rivals

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013

The best form of defence is attack. If teams let us play football at the AMEX, we usually win. If we let Derby play football at their ground, they'll win. We've got to force our game onto them, and cause them problems that they'll have to address by bringing players back to their own defence. If we cause them nothing, they have all the players they like to bomb forward and overlap.

Counter attacking hasn't been our game plan once this season, no matter who we played. It may be Derby, but we're top of the league. We're a force to be reckoned with too.

I don't doubt Derby will be our biggest challenge yet, but if we play up to the standard we've played for most of the season, we should be fine.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Chatting with a Wolves friend of mine, RVP is very fast - but like most wingers he's inconsistent and he rarely tracks back. When he can be bothered to perform defensively he's not very good at it. So using him as left footed cover for Calde wouldn't be a safe option IMO.

NB: Not to say RVP doesn't offer us a real spark, and can change games. But as a defensive-minded winger - not at all.

Foolish too I think, to throw him in for his debut in a game of this magnitude. If we were actively trying to chase the win, then yes, I might be tempted.

But in this case I would take the far more conservative option of playing with someone stronger, maybe Crofty in front of Calderon.

After all Andrew Crofts has been there, seen it and done it at different levels, and has far more experience than RVP too.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Due to the widely accepted adeptness of Ashley Cole at left-back, Warnock did not feature in any of England's matches during their short-lived run in the World Cup which ended against Germany

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Todays Argus says CH has been trying to bring in loan but been unsuccesful so it looks like LR will play left back at Reading

What is Zeki Fryers ex Tottenham now at Palace but been out on loan this season to Ipswich and Rotherham doing now.

Thought that I would bounce this as he played for Palace yesterday.but wasnt good enough for us to approach on loan last year when we had problems at left back. Water under the bridge I know.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here