Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
i'd apply Hanlon's razor here. normally a new chancellor has many weeks or month until their first budget. Kwarteng had to produce something immediatly for the energy relief, and in his hubris rather than keep to that, launched into a parliaments worth of cuts in one go without costings.

otherwise we're saying he expected the fallout to markets and party, which sounds rather odd for ambitious politicans who want to stay around long enough to change things. no point delivering a generational budget if you're out 2yrs later and cant execute, watch the opposition (or even own party) reverse it all.

It's nice to finally have a politician willing to sacrifice his career for his political beliefs. It's just a shame societal collapse is his belief

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Labour's plans for the energy subsidy included a windfall tax on energy companies, rather than funding it wholly on government borrowing

raises £8bn according to them. windfall tax is a political football that sounds good but doesnt deliver anywhere near the money needed.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
raises £8bn according to them. windfall tax is a political football that sounds good but doesnt deliver anywhere near the money needed.

Which is precisely why I used the word "included" rather than "to be funded by". It is a clear defining line between the parties though

Jimmy Grimble

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Labour's plans for the energy subsidy included a windfall tax on energy companies, rather than funding it wholly on government borrowing

There has already been a windfall tax by Tories to partially fund some of this.

It is still mass borrowing, they only planned for 6 months, which isnt realistic.

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
I am not sure (other than the tax cut for the richer/banker bonuses) Labour have said they would do much different, in fact their plan a few months ago was not much different.

I rather doubt if they’d have gone hell for leather for all these tax cuts at the same time as the support package for energy costs.

I also think they’d have done it properly with OBR forecasts supporting their plans with some attempt at funding with extending the windfall tax and increasing corporation tax etc.

They were rather blindsided by the 1p cut in income tax which is difficult for them to oppose but, again, I doubt if they’d have done it right now.

The markets were expecting a support package for energy and would have swallowed it on the basis it was (hopefully) a one-off cost.

What’s spooked them was the ongoing unfunded tax cuts with no apparent plan or independent scrutiny by the OBR.

The whole package and its presentation was breathtakingly politically crass and I hope it leads to the Tories being slaughtered at the next election but it’s a long way off…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
$1.12 now. Almost full recovery in a week. Decent.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I see the line being adopted to defend Liz Truss after yesterday's round of local radio interviews is that she wasn't being interviewed by real journalists but by "leftie activists" - all part of a concerted media plot to bring down the government.

I'm not really sure that view is going to be accepted by many people.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I see the line being adopted to defend Liz Truss after yesterday's round of local radio interviews is that she wasn't being interviewed by real journalists but by "leftie activists" - all part of a concerted media plot to bring down the government.

I'm not really sure that view is going to be accepted by many people.

The leftie activists in cahoots with the Economist, the Bank of England, the IMF and the global financial markets.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
And it's only taken the Bank of England stepping in to dig out the Government with £65B of our money. Decent :dunce:

I assume you don't have a mortgage :facepalm:

Not only £65B of emergency inflationary QE, at odds with the BoE, but likely also a factor is that the OBR is now stepping in too, potentially the market is anticipating some changes as a result. Also interest rates still above where they were. Not that decent!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The leftie activists in cahoots with the Economist, the Bank of England, the IMF and the global financial markets.

I have seen various bods on Twitter decrying the Economist as a leftie magazine and the IMF as a global Marxist organisation.

There are some people with a fragile grip on reality.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
$1.12 now. Almost full recovery in a week. Decent.

I do understand why you are clinging to this - so much was made of the fall of £ v $, as a tangible indicator of the scale of the government's folly, that you are highlighting the subsequent rebound as evidence to the contrary.

Gleefully doing so however, whilst ignoring the hike in interest rates, the additional £65BN it cost to settle the markets, and the increased cost in future government borrowing, is making you look a bit odd.

It is as though 'your' team made a catastrophic, entirely unforced error, at great cost to the country, and somehow you think its less embarrassing to make yourself look daft defending it, than to just admit they got it wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here