[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It started with Brexit and the purge of the sensible ones. We aren't supposed to mention the B word but I think we can talk about the after shock.

But we are told it's all covid and Russia's fault. Brexit must never be blamed.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Just looked up the mortgage interest rates for the last few decades and it seems people are getting a bit upset when in a way they have never had it so good.
But then again everyone didn't have Sky TV, Mobile Phones or other luxuries that come before anything else these days.
Might have to do what a lot of us did back in those dark days and get a second job in the evenings and weekends.
319876ca1c0a6fec35f3f1888cee725e.jpg

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

As well as making the very basic error of comparing apples with oranges (not considering the much higher level of borrowing now required to buy a property), you’re obviously not aware the latest figures suggest over 5 million people already work 2 or more jobs to make ends meet. Even the lowest, older ONS figures put that at 1.2 million minimum.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Just looked up the mortgage interest rates for the last few decades and it seems people are getting a bit upset when in a way they have never had it so good.
But then again everyone didn't have Sky TV, Mobile Phones or other luxuries that come before anything else these days.
Might have to do what a lot of us did back in those dark days and get a second job in the evenings and weekends.
319876ca1c0a6fec35f3f1888cee725e.jpg

Had this chat with my 77 year old dad. He said “we had higher interest rates” but when I pointed out it was 2.5 times his salary that they could borrow and they also had mum’s this is very different to 6 times a combined salary.

Some people have lost all ability to think properly haven’t they!

I am lucky. I have a little mortgage so will be fine. But so many people in 30s and 40s with young families are going to get hammered.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You're forgetting Corbyn. It's his fault too. And Milliband and his chaos.

Well let's not forgot Corbyn's involvement in Brexit. The very man who spent his entire career campaigning to leave whilst simultaneously attempting to manage a vast influx of new members and voters who didn't want to.

Nice one Jeremy. What a plum.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
well the sensible people in the room i.e. "remoaners" said Brexit would be like driving our economy off a cliff edge, and here we are, at the bottom of the cliff, assessing the wreckage that is the UK economy
Have we hit the bottom or we just hanging onto the branch of a fortunate tree growing out of the cliff part way down ?

Last edited:

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
Well, the car crash that has trashed the exchange rate has probably put paid to our plan to buy a property abroad and hibernate there until we get a sensible set of politicians back in Blighty……

First world problem I appreciate.

I (almost) miss BoJo, by comparison. At least some of his instincts e.g. levelling up were laudable.

When I’m made dictator of the world my first action will be to line up the 80,000 Conservative party members who voted for Truss and send them to Rwanda. That’d teach them….. with a bit of luck the pound will be really low against the local currency there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Well, the car crash that has trashed the exchange rate has probably put paid to our plan to buy a property abroad and hibernate there until we get a sensible set of politicians back in Blighty……

First world problem I appreciate.

I (almost) miss BoJo, by comparison. At least some of his instincts e.g. levelling up were laudable.

When I’m made dictator of the world my first action will be to line up the 80,000 Conservative party members who voted for Truss and send them to Rwanda. That’d teach them….. with a bit of luck the pound will be really low against the local currency there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No way should the 80000 Conservatives members ever be allowed to inflict an economy trashing PM on the country again !

I have no problems with them electing the PM while in opposition, but while in Government the leader needs to be elected by the MPs alone.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

On the other hand, I've just agreed a nice contract with a US firm to be paid in dollars (and am negotiating with another one)

Nice one, Liz :thumbsup:

(I'm speaking through clenched teeth, I'd much rather be working with a normal exchange rate and see families being able to afford mortgages. What a shower)

Dec 29, 2011
I'd love to meet a few of the old Biddy's that left their home to vote for Truss. Do we have a Truss voter on this board that is willing to out themselves?

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Such a shame you weren't around to advise my parents in the 90's! I loved sitting home alone every day after school until 6pm earliest as they both worked their nuts off to pay the mortgage. I loved it even more when they had to hand the keys back to our house and move into a shitty flat. Mobile phones are not actually a luxury and you need the internet to do pretty much anything these days which most people have on their mobiles. Incidentally a mobile now costs less than a landline.
You are being patronising and unkind to people that are going to suddenly find themselves in the shit through no fault of their own. Not because they are paying £100's per month for Sky or any other subscription tv, not because they are buying 'luxuries' but simply because the price of everything has gone up so much that they're having to fork out money to buy heated blankets to sit and watch the freesat tv under. Buy loads of food as it's cheaper in bulk or put the money towards the blanket and keep the heating off for as long as poss? Layout the money for a heated clothes drier & hope it doesn't cost too much in electric or switch the heating on to dry the clothes as it's raining? You seem to live in a very black and white world that lacks empathy for others that have to make difficult choices. Are the people who've never had sky tv or luxuries worthy of some empathy?
I was one of those parents doing two jobs every day and every night and supporting my wife and two boys under 4 years old in the late 80's early 90's.

We got by just by having no luxuries in life as long as the kids were fed we were happy.

I'm sorry to hear about your parents etc .

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Still half asleep but I think BBC said KLF are outspoken about her policies. Do not upset the Ancients of Mu Mu, Lixzie.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I was one of those parents doing two jobs every day and every night and supporting my wife and two boys under 4 years old in the late 80's early 90's.

We got by just by having no luxuries in life as long as the kids were fed we were happy.

No comments on your absolutely ridiculous take on mortgages?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol

I'm not sure you have quite grasped how dire the situation will be for some though. Our mortgage (about 2% on around £330k) is due to end in September next year and if rates do indeed go up to 6% then we're looking at about £600-700 a month increase, purely to cover the interest rise. On top of other cost increases, with a little one on the way in February we'll be losing my wife's salary down to statutory around the summer and I'm genuinely worried if we'll be able to afford it. And (not meaning to brag), our household income is well above average, I struggle to think how others will cope - especially those who are renting, who will no doubt be passed on the mortgage increases.

In any case, most employment contracts these days (mine included) stipulate that you can't take up additional work without the permission of your company. I don't think many companies would be happy with their employees taking up more work in the evenings/nights and then turning up half asleep for their primary job.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
well the sensible people in the room i.e. "remoaners" said Brexit would be like driving our economy off a cliff edge, and here we are, at the bottom of the cliff, assessing the wreckage that is the UK economy
Have will hit the bottom or we just hanging onto the branch of a fortunate tree growing out of the cliff part way down ?

You may be right but if so, Kwarteng has just fired up the chainsaw :shootself

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

Perhaps instead of sneering at others who are struggling, you should ask yourself why you could only just about afford "to get buy" when you were doing two jobs?

The Tories always tell us hard work is the key to prosperity, and that the millions of people who struggle are simply lazy ("need to graft more", according to the imbecile Truss), rather than because their millionaire bosses pay them poverty wages: Sainsbury's CEO = salary recently increased to £3.8 million, Sainsbury's shop floor staff wage recently increased to £10 per hour.

Your own bitter experience proves that hard work often doesn't lead to a better or prosperous lifestyle - in the 5th or 6th richest country in the world, no-one should need to do 2 jobs merely to pay their rent or feed their children.

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding or misrepresenting you, but it is seems as if you are saying "I suffered financially, so why shouldn't everyone else; they should stop being such entitled snowflakes, and suck it up like I did."

All the while ordinary people bicker and squabble over their economic hardship like this, the Tories and the top 1% will p*** themselves laughing at us all, and nothing will ever change or improve.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is why comparisons are ridiculous. It smacks of I’m alright Jack.

Average deposit for first time buyers in London in 1997: £5,200

Average deposit for first time buyers in London in 2021: £150,000

Wages, even in two jobs, have not risen by the same rate.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Perhaps instead of sneering at others who are struggling, you should ask yourself why you could only just about afford "to get buy" when you were doing two jobs?

The Tories always tell us hard work is the key to prosperity, and that the millions of people who struggle are simply lazy ("need to graft more", according to the imbecile Truss), rather than their millionaire bosses pay them poverty wages: Sainsbury's CEO = salary recently increased to £3.8 million, Sainsbury's shop floor staff wage recently increased to £10 per hour.

Your own bitter experience proves that hard work often doesn't lead to a better or prosperous lifestyle - in the 5th or 6th richest country in the world, no-one should need to do 2 jobs merely to pay their rent or feed their children.

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding or misrepresenting you, but it is seems as if you are saying "I suffered financially, so why shouldn't everyone else; they should stop being such entitled snowflakes, and suck it up like I did."

All the while ordinary people bicker and squabble over their economic hardship like this, the Tories and the top 1% will p*** themselves laughing at us all, and nothing will ever change or improve.

Well said. And I’d add, shouldn’t we expect it to be easier for each generation to feed themselves, raise a family, find secure, affordable housing, stable and rewarding work. Isn’t that a reasonable aspiration in one of the worlds strongest economies? I turn 60 in a few days - talk of people not being able to afford their mortgage, put the heating on, having to do two or three jobs takes me back to my childhood in the early seventies. And that this latest round of dire financial news is as a direct result of conscious choices made by Truss and her gang is even more shocking.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Well said. And I’d add, shouldn’t we expect it to be easier for each generation to feed themselves, raise a family, find secure, affordable housing, stable and rewarding work. Isn’t that a reasonable aspiration in one of the worlds strongest economies? I turn 60 in a few days - talk of people not being able to afford their mortgage, put the heating on, having to do two or three jobs takes me back to my childhood in the early seventies. And that this latest round of dire financial news is as a direct result of conscious choices made by Truss and her gang is even more shocking.

I don't disagree with much of what you're saying but many of us are a little bit culpable for our culture in regard to home ownership. When times are good, we think the massive equity in our homes and celebrate our 'wealth', when they are not so good, we look at the rising interest rates, falling real time salaries and remember that much of this wealth is actually debt. Brighton, as a city, is a great example, many will describe it as 'wealthy' and 'affluent' pretty much based on house prices, pretty much ignoring the low average salaries that the city 'enjoys'.

It's telling that many of those bemoaning the crisis that is our housing market talk of them, or their children being 'unable to get on the property ladder'. They're not thinking of getting a nice home, they're thinking about the future wealth that may come as a result. This Tory budget is designed to play right in to that ambition and is designed to try and help them win the next election and is a disgrace. That it has fallen apart so rapidly is a sign of quite how out of their depth this leadership is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports