Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
LOL. Tory bloke doesn't like Labour leader - shock!

I bet you're not! She's absolutely trashing what's left of the Tory's reputation.
Spoken like a true Labour bloke :rolleyes:

This “Tory bloke” was all for Tony Blair to be elected which kind of destroys your oh so humorous quip

Knowing your love of sarcasm I guess you are lapping up Starmer’s wit

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Conclusions can only be drawn once he’s had a few months in power. I am not going to argue with anything you say about the Tories but what I’ve seen of Starmer does not inspire me in the least. Best I can come up with is that he doesn’t seem to be a crook, which will make a change.

Maybe a charisma free hardworking PM is just what we need but as I said before he talks the talk let’s see what he does when he has to walk the walk.

I have no doubts it will happen and I would love to be proved wrong but he does not inspire anything but dislike from me at the moment :shrug:
None of which is what you said originally. You said he was "a patronising dick head", "unpleasant" and "smug".

And that's what you used to justify your "rock and a hard place". Either back up what you're saying or we'll just draw the conclusion that what you said was a load of irrelevant shit.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
None of which is what you said originally. You said he was "a patronising dick head", "unpleasant" and "smug".

And that's what you used to justify your "rock and a hard place". Either back up what you're saying or we'll just draw the conclusion that what you said was a load of irrelevant shit.
I can only back it up by reiterating what I‘ve already said - when I hear him talk he comes across to me as a smug patronising sarcastic dickhead who spends most of his time, when on air, running down the Tories but not convincing me in any way that he could sort out the clusterfuck that this country is in.

If you think that’s irrelevant shit, so be it

I am willing and happy to be proved wrong once he is PM, but he needs the job before that has any chance of happening.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Rock and a hard place? What a ridiculous conclusion to draw. What has he done that's so unpleasant then? You need to look at the bigger picture here - this government have been absolutely disgusting.

They've had 12 f***ing YEARS and I can't think of a single achievement they can be proud of in that time. Not. One.

We have more foodbanks than McDonalds. They weren't even a thing in 2010.
We have a rump of working people who cannot afford to live because their wages haven't kept up with cost of living increases.
Our international standing is at an all time low
Crime rates are high, so is homelessness.
We have a decimated NHS. I simply cannot get an appointment at my surgery. I've given up, I use the duty doctor at East Surrey hospital.
Tax has never been higher
Cronyism and corruption has been starkly terrible
Oh and Suella Braverman is busy removing your rights to protest as we speak.

From a personal point of view, I'm taxed heavier than ever, and my two eldest have had to pay their way through university - at a cost of £65,000 over the past 4 years. A cost that was previously borne by the state. So in terms of income alone, I'd say that my immediate family are around £120k worse off than we were in 2010, and that's before the cost of this shithouse Brexit and a cost of living crisis this government partly induced and has no idea how to resolve.

If the Tories are in power ever again, it'll be 20 billion years too soon.

But then again, self-made state-educated Keir Starmer sounds a bit smug during PMQ, so now I just don't know what to think.
Absolutely brilliant post! Hope you don't mind me pinching most of that to use with some of the embarrassing Tory apologists I know?!

How anyone could think it is a close call between this corrupt and shambolic government and Starmer's Labour party is absolutely beyond me.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I am staggered that Liz Truss broke the news about the Triple Lock being retained in the way that she did. In a way, it shows how inept she is as leader.

She should have built it up and led with it a.s.a.p. in PMQs today. Arguably, it is far more of an achievement than the energy price guarantee than now runs out in April 2023, and hugely good news for pensioners (who probably account for at least 50% of the 80,000 Tory members that voted for her to be Tory leader a few weeks ago).

However, the delivery of the Triple Lock announcement - and the fact ministers were still saying this morning it was under review and an announcement would come in the 31 Oct Budget statement - suggests this has all been very lastminute.com.

Indeed, I don't see that she can make such an assertion until the Chancellor and the OBR have prepared the figures, and if the figures ARE ready then why wait until 31st Oct to make them available?

If she's painted Hunt into a corner over this then that could be the final straw.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can only back it up by reiterating what I‘ve already said - when I hear him talk he comes across to me as a smug patronising sarcastic dickhead who spends most of his time, when on air, running down the Tories but not convincing me in any way that he could sort out the clusterfuck that this country is in.

I am willing and happy to be proved wrong once he is PM, but he needs the job before that has any chance of happening.

He called for a windfall tax on the energy company profits, because they only made those profits because of the Russian/Ukraine war. The Tories refused. For 4 whole months because Sunak said it discouraged competition (the twat). Then in order to cover up another f*** up/gaffe, they did exactly what he suggested. Then dithered and decided to repeal that. Now there is a cost of living crisis and the Tories still aren't going to exploit this obvious and morally fully justifiable tax, even though many energy companies are advocating and expecting it.

There's one example where any simpleton would do better than the ruinous utter cretins in power. That includes a state-educated man who is so talented in his field that he rose through the ranks to become director of public prosecutions.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The very definition of a closed mind. 'I don't like the look of him and I've made my mind up from clips on the news or television'.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Absolutely brilliant post! Hope you don't mind me pinching most of that to use with some of the embarrassing Tory apologists I know?!

How anyone could think it is a close call between this corrupt and shambolic government and Starmer's Labour party is absolutely beyond me.
Until we see how Labour do in power, it’s all guesswork as to whether they’ll do a better job isn’t it?

I am all for them giving it a go but I do not have your 100% confidence that they’ll do a much better job

Reactions: cjd

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
He called for a windfall tax on the energy company profits, because they only made those profits because of the Russian/Ukraine war. The Tories refused. For 4 whole months because Sunak said it discouraged competition (the twat). Then in order to cover up another f*** up/gaffe, they did exactly what he suggested. Then dithered and decided to repeal that. Now there is a cost of living crisis and the Tories still aren't going to exploit this obvious and morally fully justifiable tax, even though many energy companies are advocating and expecting it.

There's one example where any simpleton would do better than the ruinous utter cretins in power. That includes a state-educated man who is so talented in his field that he rose through the ranks to become director of public prosecutions.
The Tories are so set in their ways when it comes to “respecting big business”. Big business will thrive regardless of Tory pandering. A windfall tax won’t make big business pack their bags and leave in a huff.

What this Tory government lacks is a spine. They have no problem sucking up to massive conglomerates, while pissing off the entire electorate in one fell swoop.

An absolute disaster of a government, with the most incompetent PM in living memory.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The very definition of a closed mind. 'I don't like the look of him and I've made my mind up from clips on the news or television'.
Mind so closed that I have said I’d be happy to see him have a go at running the country, OK

Do I have to be a fan before it happens then?

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
Until we see how Labour do in power, it’s all guesswork as to whether they’ll do a better job isn’t it?

I am all for them giving it a go but I do not have your 100% confidence that they’ll do a much better job
Just the 99% then ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Fill your boots.

It makes my blood boil hearing boomers prattle on about how poor things get under a Labour government, pointing at the 1970s. But even with strikes aplenty and a 3 day working week, things are a lot worse for most people now than they ever were then. For example, the Tories have ignored the widening gap between wage increases and house prices. This means that even moderate interest rate increases are a huge problem - not that Truss would apologise for pushing mortgage repayments up with her crap mini budget. Energy price increases would be far easier to control if they hadn't sold it all off to the highest bidder like everything else. Back then, inflation was the "only" real issue, as it eroded earnings. That is bad enough, but a picnic compared to what this government have imposed on this country.

he looks like a safe pair of hand, how will he manage the tough job of increasing taxes?
He'll pick the low hanging fruit for a start, and that will do me for starters. A justifiable windfall tax on energy companies, an increase on inheritance tax (unpopular but entirely fair and necessary). He'll probably do his best to promote re-entering the common market (the customs union is a given, for the sake of the union and Ireland).

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
"I'm a fighter, not a quitter" latest

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Rock and a hard place? What a ridiculous conclusion to draw. What has he done that's so unpleasant then? You need to look at the bigger picture here - this government have been absolutely disgusting.

They've had 12 f***ing YEARS and I can't think of a single achievement they can be proud of in that time. Not. One.

We have more foodbanks than McDonalds. They weren't even a thing in 2010.
We have a rump of working people who cannot afford to live because their wages haven't kept up with cost of living increases.
Our international standing is at an all time low
Crime rates are high, so is homelessness.
We have a decimated NHS. I simply cannot get an appointment at my surgery. I've given up, I use the duty doctor at East Surrey hospital.
Tax has never been higher
Cronyism and corruption has been starkly terrible
Oh and Suella Braverman is busy removing your rights to protest as we speak.

From a personal point of view, I'm taxed heavier than ever, and my two eldest have had to pay their way through university - at a cost of £65,000 over the past 4 years. A cost that was previously borne by the state. So in terms of income alone, I'd say that my immediate family are around £120k worse off than we were in 2010, and that's before the cost of this shithouse Brexit and a cost of living crisis this government partly induced and has no idea how to resolve.

If the Tories are in power ever again, it'll be 20 billion years too soon.

But then again, self-made state-educated Keir Starmer sounds a bit smug during PMQ, so now I just don't know what to think.
Agree completely, and you raise something that I've been thinking of for the last few weeks (I even planned to start a thread on it, but suspect it'll just get incorporated into an existing one): what have they achieved over the past 12 years. Broadly, I can think of austerity (that failed spectacularly even in the terms that they laid out) and Brexit, which is a slow-burning disaster playing out in front of ours. Some achievements.
The others that will get mentioned (eg vaccine roll-out) are largely the responsibility of others.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
He'll pick the low hanging fruit for a start, and that will do me for starters. A justifiable windfall tax on energy companies, an increase on inheritance tax (unpopular but entirely fair and necessary). He'll probably do his best to promote re-entering the common market (the customs union is a given, for the sake of the union and Ireland).
i was thinking something more challenging and meaningful for revenue. like a few % added to NI or income tax, need to rasie 10's of billions, not easily avoidable few billion. need to move on from these sideshow tax tweeks that raise(or cut) the odd billion to impress the home crowd, raise substantial sums to put finances on a sound footing. not just keep borrowing.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
This three line whip thing is ridiculous. William Wragg has just stood up and said he is against fracking but he has to vote with the government later so that his letter of no confidence in the PM to the 1922 committee is maintained even though it's a now a confidence motion. Absurd.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

could i be so bold as to enquire if your voting intentions are orangey?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here