Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Living on your own in lockdown

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
How are your lad and you coping without a cricket season?

I’d secretly like not travelling on our crowded roads to away matches.

Ha ha. As I just posted on the 2021 holiday thread. It's shit.

This is definitely the best weather we've had here in April for 10 years plus. The grounds (which were sodden a couple of weeks before lockdown) are all in mint condition and the conditions could not be better for cricket .

Usually tomorrow we'd have been going somewhere like Whitby or Ilkley for a South Yorkshire match. Probably today would have been spent down the club watching the SCCC first team play (and any football / cricket that was on TV in the bar) while the kids were in the nets.

And the driving? We usually have to set off at some daft time in the morning and head North on a Sunday so it's actually good fun, with hardly anything on the roads........

At least I'm saving a load of money on petrol. :lolol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not fussed about being around people, though I miss my mates. But I would like a dog.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Not fussed about being around people, though I miss my mates. But I would like a dog.
We spent ages researching, choosing the perfect dog then our landlord said no!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’m really glad we have 5 in the house( gorgeous 2yr old grandson) but everyone is having to take unpaid leave now because their companies cannot offer furlough and we cannot take any chances now with Covid because mrs Q is waiting to start chemo... so I’d like to see the back of it now. I’m thankful we have some of the clan here but. ....

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I am finding it really easy.

I work from home anyhow so have client an colleague contact by phone.

Although I got 20% salary dropped I don't spend on hardly anything so financially better off. Don't feel like I am missing out on anything if I don't go out because we can't meet up with anyone anyhow.

Started to watch more TV which I hardly watched any of before and one or two are actually quite funny.

The thing I really miss is going out to eat or the occasional night out getting pissed drunk. I never drink alcohol at home so really missing a night out in Pub atmosphere. If I could get that once a week then I would be happy as a pig in shit.

Oh and I wouldn't mind a decent argument once a fortnight with someone when I've had a few pints.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Oh and I wouldn't mind a decent argument once a fortnight with someone when I've had a few pints.

Well you are Scottish right mate? :lolol:

NINTCHDBPICT000409788530.jpg

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I am finding it really easy.

I work from home anyhow so have client an colleague contact by phone.

Although I got 20% salary dropped I don't spend on hardly anything so financially better off. Don't feel like I am missing out on anything if I don't go out because we can't meet up with anyone anyhow.

Started to watch more TV which I hardly watched any of before and one or two are actually quite funny.

The thing I really miss is going out to eat or the occasional night out getting pissed drunk. I never drink alcohol at home so really missing a night out in Pub atmosphere. If I could get that once a week then I would be happy as a pig in shit.

To be fair I was finding it easy, but then bang it hit me and last few days have been a struggle, really tough.

I try to keep busy, I particularly enjoyed the thread yesterday about players who played for both Brighton and Watford, kept my mind off other things.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
To be fair I was finding it easy, but then bang it hit me and last few days have been a struggle, really tough.

I try to keep busy, I particularly enjoyed the thread yesterday about players who played for both Brighton and Watford, kept my mind off other things.

Tough as it may be for you it will definitely remind you and us all how important family, friends and just good old human contact really is.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020

I'm the same, quite happy in my own company too as it's how I've lived most of my life but I do miss seeing family and going for the odd drink or meal. I have been dog sitting a couple of times a week for someone and I can't tell you what a difference it's made. It gives me an excuse to go on long walks in the sun and they are great company at home. They've really helped me through a hard year :smile:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Well you are Scottish right mate? :lolol:

View attachment 122762

Indeed I am

I don't really want to be constantly in conflict though but in normal everyday life I think we all have a slight disagreement with someone or about something.

It doesn't even have to be with Donald Trump. In fact. Just last night I had a pint of Cillit Bang followed by a couple of Dettol and Domestos chasers with him and got on great

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm the same, quite happy in my own company too as it's how I've lived most of my life but I do miss seeing family and going for the odd drink or meal. I have been dog sitting a couple of times a week for someone and I can't tell you what a difference it's made. It gives me an excuse to go on long walks in the sun and they are great company at home. They've really helped me through a hard year :smile:

I’m still working so I see people but I lone work on nights. Could do with seeing mates again, getting a bit bored of podcasts and radio as company. Although podcasts have been a life saver.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Why can't you ?

I've got cystic fibrosis so I'm in extra super duper isolation.

Oddly living alone is quite fortunate in the circumstances, If I was in shared accommodation it would be an immense ballache for all involved and it's relatively easy to keep my risk to an absolute minimum ...I'm pretty sure that if I got it bad it would finish me off.

Other pluses

I can get all my essentials (and treats) delivered without any fuss.
Whilst my flat is tiny and has no outdoor space it has lovely big windows and a nice view.
I've got a MASSIVE television.
I'm getting better (less appalling) at playing guitar
My underlying illness is currently well under control
Apparently I have a very high boredom threshold

felt myself getting a bit tearful today when a mate dropped some fresh fish off to me so things are clearly getting to me a bit and an hour pottering along on my bicycle would really lift my spirits but it would be taking the piss and not worth the risk....... Hopefully in a couple of months ...got my tyre pump and TF2 oil ready ...

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I'm out of work, finances dwindling month on month, pointlessly applying for positions not likely to be filled until at least July, and living on my own.
A ten mile bike ride each day and Tesco twice a week in the evenings seem to be keeping me sane but I'm a bit of a loner anyhow so luckily not suffering too much.

The toughest thing so far for me was giving both of my cats a worming tablet earlier today.
I had to lock the three of us in the kitchen and we fought it out. I won.........eventually.

I feel genuinely sorry for everyone that's having trouble dealing with lockdown.
Talk to as many of your friends and family as you can and remember that each day we're getting one day closer to being allowed out.

Oops, apologies Pevenseagull, hadn't seen your post re cycling.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I've got cystic fibrosis so I'm in extra super duper isolation.

Oddly living alone is quite fortunate in the circumstances, If I was in shared accommodation it would be an immense ballache for all involved and it's relatively easy to keep my risk to an absolute minimum ...I'm pretty sure that if I got it bad it would finish me off.

Other pluses

I can get all my essentials (and treats) delivered without any fuss.
Whilst my flat is tiny and has no outdoor space it has lovely big windows and a nice view.
I've got a MASSIVE television.
I'm getting better (less appalling) at playing guitar
My underlying illness is currently well under control
Apparently I have a very high boredom threshold

felt myself getting a bit tearful today when a mate dropped some fresh fish off to me so things are clearly getting to me a bit and an hour pottering along on my bicycle would really lift my spirits but it would be taking the piss and not worth the risk....... Hopefully in a couple of months ...got my tyre pump and TF2 oil ready ...

Sorry to hear that. I know how important it is to me to get out on my bike for an hour (or two) every day - even in normal times. Hope you are pedaling again soon.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
How are any of you other singletons coping ?

Up and down. I've tried to avoid going to shops too much so have planned bigger shops to get me through for a while each time. Like you I'm still at work so that's become a bit of an escape (and like you I seem to be constantly dealing with idiots). On good days I quite enjoy the quiet and the fact I can do largely as I please without anyone really paying any attention. The bad days it can be lonely, and the good weather hasn't helped as I live in a flat with no outside space, so other than the one hour a day I'm trapped in here. A three week monsoon would be extremely welcome for that side of things!

There are some good things. I've managed to watch around 50 films I'd never seen before for the first time (ranging from "amazing, can't believe I've never watched this before" such as Groundhog Day and Chariots of Fire through to "why did I bother wasting time I had to waste anyway watching this crap" such as Sister Act). Plus I had a young couple move into the flat across the hallway just after Christmas who I'd never really met, I've now had a WhatsApp conversation with both and an agreement to meet for drinks once this is all over. But I do miss my family and friends.

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008
I’m still working so I see people but I lone work on nights. Could do with seeing mates again, getting a bit bored of podcasts and radio as company. Although podcasts have been a life saver.
Life in that gate house must be like doing a stretch some days ,I feel your pain
Regards
DF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here