Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Living in London

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I currently work in Clapham and commute from Hassocks every day but that is starting to get annoying and I don't want to live with my parents forever!

Can anyone recommend good places around South London to live? Clapham itself is quite nice but stupidly expensive even for just a room in a big house share and I don't fancy living and working in the same place.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Croydon is nice apparently:jester:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Maybe I should have mentioned that I'm not moving to Palaceville

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
what's wrong with getting your own place locally, and commuting?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
personally was never a fan of south london as it's all palace country in my eyes so i would recommend looking north of the river. if you looked at places like acton or hammersmith you can live in a decent area for reasonably cheap, clapham is just over the river on the bus.

south london wise, the nice bits are expensive, but brixton, streatham, herne hill, tulse hill etc are alright.

realistically everything in london is pricey, that's why you earn more money, you need to get sussex prices out of your head and look for the best deals that are relative to the area, not what you think is dear.

Double Hard Bastard

Oct 16, 2006
Try East Dulwich mate, i used to live there till recently & work in Clapham/Battersea. The 37 takes half hour to get across from Lordship Lane which has loads of trendy bars/pubs & restaurants. It's really nice & green with the common on one side. Also it's cheap, my ex & i rented a superb two bedroom flat for nine hundred a month, check out thepropertyinn.com. They are useless but have nice cheap properties to rent. It has overground links into London Bridge but does not have a tube. I'm gutted I've moved but am still friends with my ex so around there regularly!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
He says the commute is getting annoying. Keep up at the back.

Yeah I saw that, but I was wondering if he'd actually thought that through.

Living anywhere in London that is worthwhile, will be way too expensive. The places that most folks could afford in London, you wouldnt want to live in !

So surely you'd be better off finding a cheaper place locally, and commuting !

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Living anywhere in London that is worthwhile, will be way too expensive. The places that most folks could afford in London, you wouldnt want to live in !

By the time you add on the price of a season ticket it works out costing just as much, I'm pretty sure there are some decent affordable places

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

I think the bit where he said he DOESNT WANT TO COMMUTE might have something to do with the question

Prof P

Sep 22, 2004
personally was never a fan of south london as it's all palace country in my eyes so i would recommend looking north of the river. if you looked at places like acton or hammersmith you can live in a decent area for reasonably cheap, clapham is just over the river on the bus.

south london wise, the nice bits are expensive, but brixton, streatham, herne hill, tulse hill etc are alright.

realistically everything in london is pricey, that's why you earn more money, you need to get sussex prices out of your head and look for the best deals that are relative to the area, not what you think is dear.

Palace country? You have to live in London to realise quite what an insignificant club Palace is within the capital. In terms of profile and numbers of shirts walking around south London I’d probably say Arsenal, West Ham, Chelsea/Tottenham, Charlton/Milwall, Fulham, QPR, Orient, New Cross under 19’s THEN Palace.

I’m in Royal Greenwich myself. Very nice but its horribly expensive now and bad for getting to Clapham. Same with Blackheath. So ignore them – it was a crap idea. As someone mentioned above should have a close look at Herne Hill – very up and coming, lively and with some good bars. Pretty close to your work as well. Also don’t be put off by the word ‘Peckham’ in ‘Peckham Rye’. Got a few friends there and it’s a good place to live. Both will still be pretty reasonably priced and have, IMO, a good sense of community. And in the great shit pit that is London, that’s a pretty rare commodity.

Try East Dulwich mate, i used to live there till recently & work in Clapham/Battersea. The 37 takes half hour to get across from Lordship Lane which has loads of trendy bars/pubs & restaurants. It's really nice & green with the common on one side.

Agree 100%. I'd say this is your best option.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I think the bit where he said he DOESNT WANT TO COMMUTE might have something to do with the question

Yep, I get it, bimey, you guys are highly strung today for some reason.

The point is, a season ticket costs around £3k per year, but houseprices in London are a damn sight more expensive than 3k, so for a young chap who is still living at home, you might have to sacrifice your WANTS and deal with REALITY.

Very few people actually WANT to commute, but living in London has NEVER been more expensive than it is today

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Palace country? You have to live in London to realise quite what an insignificant club Palace is within the capital. In terms of profile and numbers of shirts walking around south London I’d probably say Arsenal, West Ham, Chelsea/Tottenham, Charlton/Milwall, Fulham, QPR, Orient, New Cross under 19’s THEN Palace.

I’m in Royal Greenwich myself. Very nice but its horribly expensive now and bad for getting to Clapham. Same with Blackheath. So ignore them – it was a crap idea. As someone mentioned above should have a close look at Herne Hill – very up and coming, lively and with some good bars. Pretty close to your work as well. Also don’t be put off by the word ‘Peckham’ in ‘Peckham Rye’. Got a few friends there and it’s a good place to live. Both will still be pretty reasonably priced and have, IMO, a good sense of community. And in the great shit pit that is London, that’s a pretty rare commodity.

Cheers, I've heard Herne Hill is quite good and pretty easy to get to Clapham from. I've also looked at Streatham, which people have recommended, there seem to be a lot of areas that used to be shit but are now pretty decent. I'll investigate Peckham Rye too.

I agree with the Palace thing, you don't see anyone wearing their shirts around.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here