Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Liverpool vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Nothing to do with arcs IMHO the ball should be touching the line at some point for a corner, nothing else, and the rule should be adjusted accordingly, just my opinion. This would bring clarity and easy enforcement.

Everyone other than you is quite clear. Pretty sure the FA won’t be changing the laws to keep you happy!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Nothing to do with arcs IMHO the ball should be touching the line at some point for a corner, nothing else, and the rule should be adjusted accordingly, just my opinion. This would bring clarity and easy enforcement.

It’s already 100% clear and easily enforced. Why change it ? Think about looking down on the ball from directly above if the arc explanation is too difficult for you to follow - viewed from above, the edge of ball must be touching the line (so for a corner, the ball needs to be ‘over’ and part of the white line defining the quadrant). The goal line technology works in exactly the same way.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Am I right the rule is slightly different for penalties? I think the ball has to be actually touching the spot, as opposed to just over the spot when viewed from above. Not sure how consistent this is.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
The ball must be stationary on the penalty mark and the goalposts, crossbar and goal net must not be moving.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I think if the ball needs to be on the penalty mark, then it should also be on or inside the arc for a corner. Same for a free kick. Ref sprays an arc on the grass and the ball is placed within it, not outside / “touching” the line when viewed from above. For any stationary kick, penalty, goal kick, kick off, free kick or corner, the ball should, in my opinion, be on or inside the mark. The current rules for stationary kicks don’t seem to be consistent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here