Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion... F A Cup memory lane.....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
I attended the 4th round victory at the Goldstone in 1984 as well as both 4th round matches in 1991. I dare some remember Jimmy Case's winner in 1983.

Be interesting to read some peoples memories of these matches

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I was there on the special train in 1991. Who can forget Football genius marking the then world class John Barnes out of the game. A Mike Small pen and a John Byrne diving header infront of 5,500 BHA fans forced a replay.

The replay was awesome...BHA led 2-1 only for Steve McMahon, who was back from injury, to force extra time. BHA ended up losing 2-3

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I was there on the special train in 1991. Who can forget Football genius marking the then world class John Barnes out of the game. A Mike Small pen and a John Byrne diving header infront of 5,500 BHA fans forced a replay.

The replay was awesome...BHA led 2-1 only for Steve McMahon, who was back from injury, to force extra time. BHA ended up losing 2-3

My abiding memory from the 2-2 at Anfield was going completely mental and randomly hugging anyone who was with reach when we equalised.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Attended all 4 games, the '83 5th round game is my favourite Albion match of all time. We took 7,000-odd, the corner behind the goal standing and halfway along the side seats. Full house at Anfield, rare Sunday fixture. Gerry Ryan walked it into the net and then we hung on and hungon, Fozzie was immense. Somehow Craig Johnston squeezed in a volleyed equaliser over his shoulder but straight from the ko, Case blasted one against Ronnie Whelan's thigh and it deflected into the net in front of us. Delirium of all deliriums. Then Phil Neal who had scored a zillion consecutive pens pulled one into the advertising boards in front of the kop, and we'd done it.

This year: Norwich in the quarters and Wednesday in the semis?

PG

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
The win at Anfield in '83 was the most amazing backs to the wall performance I've seen. As for Jimmy Case's winner it screamed in before the Kop had stopped celebrating Johnson's equaliser.
Phil Neal's penalty miss capped it all off & the Albon fans went absolutely mental.

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex

I went up on a normal service. That evening we pulled alongside the special train on the way back somewhere round Crewe. We were allowed to drink, as I understand it yours was a dry train. I was one of those youngsters holding up a cider can and making :tosser: signs. Can I now take the opportunity to say sorry.......

Attended all 4 games, the '83 5th round game is my favourite Albion match of all time. We took 7,000-odd, the corner behind the goal standing and halfway along the side seats. Full house at Anfield, rare Sunday fixture. Gerry Ryan walked it into the net and then we hung on and hungon, Fozzie was immense. Somehow Craig Johnston squeezed in a volleyed equaliser over his shoulder but straight from the ko, Case blasted one against Ronnie Whelan's thigh and it deflected into the net in front of us. Delirium of all deliriums. Then Phil Neal who had scored a zillion consecutive pens pulled one into the advertising boards in front of the kop, and we'd done it.

This year: Norwich in the quarters and Wednesday in the semis?

PG

5,000:mad:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
My memory off the 1991. Anfield was awsome, went with a good mate and we thoroughly enjoyed it, that goal was fantastic, and is probably why I cite JB as my all time favourite Albion player (so far)

Replay, I couldn't get a ticket as it was for members (?) only, I was a casual walk up fan in those days and didn't qualify.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep same for me.
Football Genius' cross and JB's diving header, one of the best moments of my Albion life.

Mainly due to what happened next:-
A la Pasty, full mental leap around, then

Closing out the game while we ALL launched into a massive rendition of, You'll Never Walk Alone.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Here you are, everyone.

1982/83 R5
[video=vimeo;26924875]http://www.vimeo.com/26924875[/video]
46 minutes of coverage. Commentary by Tony Millard and Stephen Rooke

1983/84 R4
[video=vimeo;29213010]http://www.vimeo.com/29213010[/video]
Full first half. Commentary by Brian Moore
[video=vimeo;29504680]http://www.vimeo.com/29504680[/video]
Full second half. Commentary by Brian Moore

1990/91 FA Cup R4
[video=vimeo;29159505]http://www.vimeo.com/29159505[/video]
18 mins of highlights. No commentary.

1990/91 FA Cup R4 Replay
[video=vimeo;28882318]http://www.vimeo.com/28882318[/video]
30 mins of highlights. Commentary by Barry Davies.

For more vintage Albion footage, please visit my website at Seagulls TV - Relive the Glory Years of 1976-83

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Attended the two 91 matches. I was making my way back with a coffee when we equalised in the first game. I remember there being a sense of complete injustice in the replay because of claims for offside on either their equalising or winning goal, or possibly both.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
1991. Was in the Kemlyn Rd stand with Albion supporting mate who was at Liverpool Uni at the time. We got moved on as we were upsetting the natives and sat in the stewards' seats in Albion end for 2nd half.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
IMG.jpg

Click to enlarge

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
83 was one of those moments you remember for the rest of your life,when Case twatted that ball in i believe i had a genuine All Orifice Explosion.
Sure we had about 5000 up there though and not the 7000 as cheekily claimed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports